Sponsored by:

Opinion question re: a "poser"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wc11
There will always be other opinions but it's you car so do what you like.
I did a ducktail and then black stone guards. Some liked it some didn't. So what? I liked it and that's all that matters.
Black stone guards on yellow looks great <== high contrast
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Gallop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Never liked the black out look. But that's me. If you had silver lips on the wheels it would be a great contrast. Good luck with your decision but IMO it completely ruins all the lines of the car just being one black blob.
Not all that helpful a reply given my car...

I'm trying to decide between red calipers or yellow calipers. Tough call. I think both will be a big improvement over what I have now, which is no color. Can anyone with black wheels post a pic with their caliper? Thanks!!

Last edited by Gallop; 06-20-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 PM
wafflesaffle
Intermediate

I love the rim stripe.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gallop
Not all that helpful a reply given my car...

I'm trying to decide between red calipers or yellow calipers. Tough call. I think both will be a big improvement over what I have now, which is no color. Can anyone with black wheels post a pic with their caliper? Thanks!!
Black wheels, red calipers...
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone with black wheels post a pic with their caliper? Thanks!!
Here you go....

Last edited by Psymon; 01-28-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:09 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Gallop... In your original post you said you like the Batman look. The Batman logo is black and yellow, is it not? Get the yellow calipers!

Seriously though, do what you like best. If people like it or not, or think you a poser, that's their problem, not yours. Great looking car btw...T
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Ultimately, it is your car. Do what YOU like to do to your car. The PCCBs brake caliper in yellow is something Porsche marketing did to add some sort of perceived exclusivity to the ceramic rotors. Personally, I think coloring them a light color like that when you don't have PCCBs is an error because you will be forever trying to keep them clean. The real PCCBs stay very clean but regular iron brake rotors and pads will absolutely be a nightmare to keep clean.

Yes, you could order (at very high cost) customized yellow calipers on your non-PCCB cars just like you can order pretty much anything you want on your car--it's only money--to Porsche AG

I never really gave a thought to the yellow color when I ticked off that expensive option when I ordered my car--it wasn't a driving factor for me. My sister once asked me what was with the yellow calipers (non-Porsche person) and I had to go through the whole litany of explaining this stuff.

It's silly. But you will become a slave to your wheel wells and brakes--guaranteed.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
Only posers care about what others think of their car...
No real Buddhist would say something like that.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:07 AM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with mostly everyone else.. unless you are trying to put another badge on the car it would be rather faux pas. but just simple lettering across is totally fine and acceptable
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Gallop
Intermediate

Thanks guys, lots of helpful comments very much appreciated. I think where I come out is:

1. P O R S C H E across back instead of blank or Carerra. (the "C" from Carrera broke off some time ago, so I removed whole word so now it's blank)
2. Yellow calipers to give a very black car some color

I'll post pic when I'm done. Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:38 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm also going to spend the $1200 for an H&R springs install (my car's stance is too high-- see pic)
If you're going to drop it, you might as well go to 20's

Edit: I just realized that your base car sits 10 mm higher than an S, hence the stance and yes, a drop would be nice but be prepared for a rougher ride.

Last edited by dasams; 01-28-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
No real Buddhist would say something like that.
But isn't that the definition of a poser?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 PM
moto one
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I would do red calipers, and Red Carrara scrip on the side for a retro look, and maybe detailed center caps... With the planed lowing it would be the Beezz Kneezz. ;-)

But then I'm Old...

Mark.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Gallop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ultimately, it is your car. Do what YOU like to do to your car. The PCCBs brake caliper in yellow is something Porsche marketing did to add some sort of perceived exclusivity to the ceramic rotors. Personally, I think coloring them a light color like that when you don't have PCCBs is an error because you will be forever trying to keep them clean. The real PCCBs stay very clean but regular iron brake rotors and pads will absolutely be a nightmare to keep clean.

Yes, you could order (at very high cost) customized yellow calipers on your non-PCCB cars just like you can order pretty much anything you want on your car--it's only money--to Porsche AG

I never really gave a thought to the yellow color when I ticked off that expensive option when I ordered my car--it wasn't a driving factor for me. My sister once asked me what was with the yellow calipers (non-Porsche person) and I had to go through the whole litany of explaining this stuff.

It's silly. But you will become a slave to your wheel wells and brakes--guaranteed.
Dan, good point about becoming a slave to the wheel wells. I'm already a slave to black exterior color (always needs cleaning), so maybe red calipers (as opposed to yellow) are a better idea. I could also go black calipers to avoid the cleaning issue altogether, but I'm trying to spruce things up a bit on a black car with black wheels. I'll ponder some more on this very important question. Thanks for input.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Pep Boys caliper paint kits are for Hondas.
+1

Quick Reply: Opinion question re: a "poser"