Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gear jam... sticking.... questions... give this a try...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts
Default 1st gear jam... sticking.... questions... give this a try...

OK, I need your help..... (no neurotic jokes please.... if you are reading this, you probably suffer the same)

I have a 2009 C2S and had a 2000 Boxster S and both had notchy transmissions and occasionally would jam and not go into 1st gear. To get into 1st, I would have to shift to another gear, double clutch, whatever and to get it to go in.

TRY THIS - For those still having issues getting into first, do this:
  1. Put lever in neutral
  2. Move lever quickly and hard to the left and "bang" into the reverse resistance point
  3. Now move straight up into first

In other words, move in a very defined "L" and not a curve into first.

Post here your results.... I bet this will help lessen the jam if not eliminate it.

Why I suspect this will help:

I installed the Numeric shifter (standard position, not short shift) and immediately my jamming decreased by a large degree. It wasn't eliminated but what was common now is rare. It made no sense as it should not have made a difference. The shift lever (any brand) is floppy and has no mechanism for gears. It is a floaty, move everywhere floppy lever. The springyness, goes to neutral position, clicking etc, comes from the gear box, not the shifter. The shifter both pushes and pulls two cables. That is it.

So, the shifter should have no effect on performance. Neither should adjusting the cable lengths except to change the angle of the shifter.

So..... why then did moving to the Numeric shifter improve the jamming issue? I don't know but..... given that the Numeric has no slop and metal-on-metal parts, the feel is real mechanical. I think.... I think it has changed my shifting habits. I now move the lever in very defined forward and lateral movements. I make very defined "L" patterns instead of curvy, sloppy moves.

When you make a curve motion, both cables will be motion moving two mechanisms in the transmission at the same time. Moving only left-right, or only forward-back, you are moving only one cable. I'll bet moving both of the two transmission levers at the same time is causing an issue.

This is all I can think of..... so try making very defined "L" moves with the Porsche shifter and see if it lessens the jam.

You can read about my Numeric installation in USMC_DS1's Numeric thread here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-of-5-a-3.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-30-2014, 06:35 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not tracking with you on this one Bruce. I've had two 993's - one I put in a racing clutch. Installed the Numeric shifter into my 997 and I've not had the symptoms you've described either before or after the mods in any of them.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
FFSstavros
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give your 'L' shifting-to-1st a try. It doesn't happen often, but I do have a very similar situation where it simply won't go into first. I've even rolled off a stop in 2nd because of frustration trying a second time.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
OK, I need your help..... (no neurotic jokes please.... if you are reading this, you probably suffer the same)

I have a 2009 C2S and had a 2000 Boxster S and both had notchy transmissions and occasionally would jam and not go into 1st gear. To get into 1st, I would have to shift to another gear, double clutch, whatever and to get it to go in.

TRY THIS - For those still having issues getting into first, do this:
  1. Put lever in neutral
  2. Move lever quickly and hard to the left and "bang" into the reverse resistance point
  3. Now move straight up into first

In other words, move in a very defined "L" and not a curve into first.

Post here your results.... I bet this will help lessen the jam if not eliminate it.

Why I suspect this will help:

I installed the Numeric shifter (standard position, not short shift) and immediately my jamming decreased by a large degree. It wasn't eliminated but what was common now is rare. It made no sense as it should not have made a difference. The shift lever (any brand) is floppy and has no mechanism for gears. It is a floaty, move everywhere floppy lever. The springyness, goes to neutral position, clicking etc, comes from the gear box, not the shifter. The shifter both pushes and pulls two cables. That is it.

So, the shifter should have no effect on performance. Neither should adjusting the cable lengths except to change the angle of the shifter.

So..... why then did moving to the Numeric shifter improve the jamming issue? I don't know but..... given that the Numeric has no slop and metal-on-metal parts, the feel is real mechanical. I think.... I think it has changed my shifting habits. I now move the lever in very defined forward and lateral movements. I make very defined "L" patterns instead of curvy, sloppy moves.

When you make a curve motion, both cables will be motion moving two mechanisms in the transmission at the same time. Moving only left-right, or only forward-back, you are moving only one cable. I'll bet moving both of the two transmission levers at the same time is causing an issue.

This is all I can think of..... so try making very defined "L" moves with the Porsche shifter and see if it lessens the jam.

You can read about my Numeric installation in USMC_DS1's Numeric thread here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-of-5-a-3.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce after thinking over this a bit I wonder if you might have a bad motor mount? I had one that went bad and resulted in a premature clutch failure and I think the problem was that my transmission and engine were not aligned correctly. After the mounts were replaced I noticed much less vibrations from the rear of the car and it shifted easier but I never had as much trouble as mentioned above. I'd think a tech could determine if there is a problem with your mounts. I had become used to the vibrations and problem since I don't drive other Carreras but might have noticed if I had driven another similar 997. At any rate I think there is more to your shifting problem and you should not have to shift with such deliberate motions. GL
Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

To get gearbox into 1st gear simply move it into second gear first and then push forward. It should get in just fine.

Motor mounts comment is also legit but semi solid mounts mostly assist upshifts under load on a track.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both the stock shifters and the stock cables have springs and buffers that promote that "stirring the pancake batter" feel the stock shifter has. So the shifter and cables absolutely play a role in the feel AND that problem getting it into first gear...you meet any resistance then you have to get past the springs and deflection built into the stock shifter to before you can find or force the gear.

The OEM 997.2 GT3 Shifter has metal bushings and got rid of one of the spring buffer points, but it's still plastic and has to flex on some level, but it alone improved the shifting a TON. However the cables it sounds like make the biggest difference, like cup cables...they're thicker, more rigid and have no springs or buffers to fight past. Your Numeric shifter is far and away more precise and rigid, with none of the buffers your stock shifter had. If I knew what I know now, I would have bought the Numeric and their cup cables right from the get go!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard that the numeric shifter works wonders for the shifter issues but will the cables provide any improvement in shifting and feel?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts
Default More Information - 1st gear stick/jam

"Both the stock shifters and the stock cables have springs and buffers that promote that "stirring the pancake batter" feel the stock shifter has."

Comment: I don't believe this is the case at all. I have personally removed the shifter and disconnected the cables and there are no springs or buffers at all. Those springs you see when you look down at the cables, is part of the locking mechanism. The springs push on a locking ring and do not play any part in the cable operation. The cables ends are anchored incredibly firmly into the end of the shifter frame. The same is true at the other end.

The shifter has no springs for buffers at all. As a matter of fact, while folks complain that the stock shifter has "slop", I found it very firm and tight after I removed it. No doubt the plastic parts are responsible for the loss of feel, but there is no slop in that shifter.

A common misconception if that the snapping, springiness, and the shift movement (L moves etc) are guided by the shifter. They are not. This all comes from the two shift levers at the transmission side (actually inside the trans). The shifter, when disconnected from the cables, is a free moving, floppy, go anywhere lever.

"I've heard that the numeric shifter works wonders for the shifter issues but will the cables provide any improvement in shifting and feel?"

Comment: The shifter absolutely does increase the mechanical feel. I love it. Clearly, the plastic parts of the stock shifter are numbing the experience. Will Numeric or other after market cables go further? I suspect so, they are a thicker, firmer gauge (as I am told) but not a DIY project (the Numeric folks tell me that) as you need a lift or whatever. The stock cables have plastic where they attach to the shifter ball ends so there is opportunity there.

"Bruce after thinking over this a bit I wonder if you might have a bad motor mount?"

Comment: I don't think so for a few reasons. First, this issue of jamming getting into first is a common Porsche issue and I have had it in both my Porsches when new. It has always been part of the charm.

" simply move it into second gear first and then push forward. "

Comment: Yep, this is one of the many techniques used. The point of my post is to avoid the problem to begin with. Re-read my post, and give the hard "L" move from neutral to first a try.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

By God Bruce I think your right, I tried shifting in the manor that you discussed above and it works!!! I bang the shifter to the left and up and it goes in every time. Nice find bud. I have stock long throw shifter btw

Quick Reply: 1st gear jam... sticking.... questions... give this a try...