Sponsored by:

Strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange noises

I this morning I was pulling my 07 targa4s out of the garage and after letting it idle down, put into reverse and there was a loud thunk from the rear of the car. Nothing was back there nor run over but as soon as it started to move back this noise happened. I sat there for a moment listening to see if anything else happened and then pulled the rest of the way out of the garage.

Drove down the street listening and no noises or anything but when I stopped I heard a slight grinding from the rear. Thought it might be some rust on the rotors because a few days ago it was washed and that was last time it was out. After a few hard stops to try to clear the rust I still am hearing this bit of grinding upon stopping.

The car was bought a few months ago w all new brake pads and rotors. The think was loud enough that when I brought it back home to switch to my Vw the wife said she heard the original thunk noise inside the house and just didn't think anything of it.

Any idea what the thunk or the grinding (which isn't loud but wasn't previously present) could be?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:31 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I will go with rusted pads to the rotors. I wash my car sometimes twice a week and often slide it back into the garage wet. Rotors are frozen solid. Makes a loud metallic POP when they break free.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Go to your car right now and move the passenger seat all the way back. Get your head damn near the floor mat and use a flashlight to find if there is anything under your passenger seat. There is no carpet under a section and anything like a water bottle is going to make a bunch of noise. I took my car in to the dealer for the thunking noises in my car and after three days they figured out it was a coke bottle and a screwdriver under my seat.
I thought it was something broken on my front end. Had the car flatbedded to the dealer. You can imagine how embarassing it was.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I vote for brake pads stuck to rotors. Makes a loud sound when they break free.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
r_32
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I could definitively see it being them breaking free causing the noise. Would the rust cause that grinding noise until it is gone? I usually drive after the wash so don't have that problem but my wife washed when i was at work.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:23 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes indeed. It will do that every time if you don't drive it after washing.

Wow, your wife is a keeper. How is she with the clay bar and the orbital polisher?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
r_32
Instructor

I will take it out this evening for some spirited driving and clean them off the fun way! When I heard the noise I thought I killed something in the engine at first. Scared the crap out of me.

She's not bad. Likes cars as well which is dangerous when she says to "just go get it " to any car I mention. She will take the 911 to pick up the kids from school just to get a drive in which kills me. But at least I have her keeping the rpm's down until warm.

Quick Reply: Strange noises