Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,423 Likes on 863 Posts
Default Ingnition key removal not triggering steering lock

2009 C2S coupe 44K miles

I just had my ignition switch replaced and it did not fix my problem. Any ideas?

Issue:
1 - Removal of key sometimes does not trip the steering lock (no thunk) or electric shutdown
2 - Quick removal seems to work, slow removal seems to be the problem

I am stumped.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've noticed that my steering lock does not always engage depending on the position of the wheels. If I move the steering a bit, it will lock & hold in place.

Do you think there's an issue with the steering lock mechanism instead of the ignition itself?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx for the feedback. The issue is not with moving the steering wheel to lock it.... the mechanism isn't "dropping" in the first place. I can turn my wheel lock to lock when this occurs (or more accurately doesn't occur).

I could be the steering lock mechanism but some aspects of the car's electrical are not shutting down. It is possible that the lock mechanism is responsible for shutting down some of these systems and not all are shut down directly by key removal.

When I discovered this, I was detailing my leather with the key out and heard an electrical whine... odd... I thought this may be the cd player as there was a disc in there... but I really didn't know where it was coming from. At the same time I discovered I could turn my wheel without the lock. I put my key in and out and then got the thunk, and the wheel would lock. I didn't hear the whine after that.

I think it is safe to assume that whatever electrical system that was left on was related to the wheel lock. But.........

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update:

I noticed that when I pull the key out and the lock does not engage (no "thunk"), if I push the door lock on my key, the wheel lock will engage with the standard thunk.

I am really surprised no one else experienced this.

Could it be the key battery?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Ingnition key removal not triggering steering lock