Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Sad news. RIP Gary.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
sad news.
he probably never got over letting his wife go, it is sad indeed. he was a good man, RIP.
+1. Very sad. I had no personal relationship with Gary beyond my appreciation of his well thought responses and vast experience that I truly enjoyed reading. While perhaps unintentional, Gary left a very positive mark on my life and I suspect many others like me, who shared in his sadness over the loss of his wife, encouragement with each step forward he took in life after, and celebration over his return to Porsche affection via his recently purchased 991. It can be difficult to explain how you will miss someone you've never truly met, and yet I will with Gary. I wish him an enternity with his wife and all that brings him happiness. And to his family, my deepest sympathies.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

A Rennlist legend has passed away. Very sad to hear this. May his soul rest in piece. I've enjoyed his posts just like everyone. It's a big loss to this community.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
mp3moose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrible loss but I guess a blessing that he'll no longer miss his wife. All the best sir, and we'll miss your wonderful posts.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Sad. I too enjoyed Gary's great posts and insight. His wife's death hit him very hard. Makes one stop for a moment and take stock of what we have and when we have it. Right now. Here's to Gary who loved his family and enjoyed his cars. A loss for all of us.

Last edited by Zeus993; 03-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Found this on the web a while back...thought those who hadn't might like more insight... link includes pictures, text below
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~simsgw/

Resume - Gary W. Sims

Born 23 January 1944 in West Hollywood, California to Betty Faye Sims (nee Harvey) and Jack Cole Sims

Married 17 August 1962 to Cindy R. Goodsell. Two daughters, Tammi Joann and Diana Sue.

Sims enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1963, reaching the rank of staff sergeant in intelligence specialties while serving in the Far East. He earned a commission in 1967 through the Airman Education and Commissioning Program. He was awarded a regular commission in 1980, and retired in 1983 with the rank of Major. After retirement, Sims joined NASA as a senior engineer at California Institute of Technology, Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He went on to found the Combat Data Systems Laboratory for Loral Electro-Optical Systems, and in 1986, Goodsell-Sims and he created Stonehaven Laboratory -- an independent design and analysis firm. Stonehaven acted as an "honest broker" in assessing complex engineering and project management disputes for various military intelligence offices until 1994, when Sims and Goodsell-Sims retired. Goodsell-Sims died in 2012 after fifty years of marriage.

Training and education

Indiana University, Special Studies Group, Chinese Language and Culture
Distinguished graduate
U.S. Air Force intelligence operator school, San Angelo, Texas
Arizona State University, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, with minor in mathematics
Graduated with highest distinction. Awarded Phi Kappa Phi and tendered membership in Phi Beta Kappa.
Leland Stanford Jr. University, Master of Science, Computer Science
U.S. Air Force post-graduate engineering training
Air University Instructors College
Distinguished graduate
Qualifications, by field

Engineering

USAF-rated expert in four fields of engineering:
Computer hardware
Computer software
Computer systems and networks
Communications
Extensive field experience in:
Design and development of life-critical systems
Verification and validation of life-critical systems
Management of engineering and software developments
Analytical assessment of complex development decisions
... and Greek street racing

Linguistics

Fluent in English, Mandarin Chinese, and Modern Greek
Qualified in Spanish and German
Conversant in French, Italian, Turkish, and to a lesser degree in other languages.
Teaching

Graduate teaching assistant to Robert W. Floyd, Department of Computer Science, Leland Stanford Jr. University
Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies and Mathematics, University of Minnesota-Duluth. Admitted to teach in the Graduate School of Business, University of Minnesota. Member of the foundation faculty for the degree of Computer Science at the Duluth campus.
This triple appointment to a host university was at that time unique in the history of the Air Force's Reserve Officers Training Corps. In addition to the full curriculum of military studies, the courses Sims taught to the general student population included undergraduate mathematics and computer science, courses in international relations and the history and causes of warfare, and two graduate courses in decision theory and analysis.
Air Force Instructor of the Year, 1980.
Recipient of the Colonel Leo A. Codd Memorial Award for excellence in instruction, presented by Bob Hope for the American Defense Preparedness Association
Management

Chief, intelligence processing branch, overseas location
Chief, Metric Data Systems, Western Test Range, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Governed the operations and engineering development of the network of guidance and tracking radars around the Pacific Basin and their associated computers, with emphasis on the real-time job of protecting civilian populations from errant launch vehicles.
Director of various intelligence-related space research programs, Space and Missile Systems Organization
Chief, Strategic Systems Assessment Branch, Defense Support Program Office, Los Angeles Air Force Station
Directed program to assess the strategic warning system of the United States -- that is, the ability of U.S./U.K. surveillance assets to sense and recognize the start of a nuclear attack on the United States at the earliest possible time and without false alarms. Proposed improvements to U.S. strategic warning systems and procedures, and reviewed the progress of changes as they were implemented.
Commandant of Cadets, Detachment 417, Reserve Officers Training Corps.
Deputy Director, Digital Systems Division, Computer Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
Designed the first network of computers spanning the Air Force Aeronautical Systems Center, the Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, and the 4950th Aerospace Test Wing. Headed team of 300 engineers developing the network and associated application software. This project was designated the lead program for networking program offices within Air Force Systems Command. A "program office" is the military organization tasked with developing items like the B-1 and B-2 bombers and the Stealth Fighter. The engineering activity supported by this network included thousands of engineers and totaled several hundreds of billions of dollars.
Supervisor, Systems Engineering Group, Section 318, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Director, Combat Data Systems Laboratory, Loral Electro-Optical Systems
Director, Stonehaven Laboratory
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

RIP
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

ahh so, hope he sleeps well, happy trails...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Life well lived, Sir!

You'll be missed.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad news. I never knew Gary but his posts were always extremely well written and facinating to read. He came across as amazingly intellegent and well educated. The resume above speaks volumes.

I do really believe you can die from a broken heart.

John
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to ask Gary for some driving lessons and hopefuly swap JPL stories before he upgraded to the 991, but life got in the way and I never found the time

He will be missed.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Very sad to hear...

I recall Gary was a long time NSX owner and I immediately recognized his username and writing style that we'd grown accustomed to on www.nsxprime.com

I've posted a thread on Prime as some members were friends with him and may want to know...if only acquaintances.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showth...63#post1678263

RIP Gary.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is very sad news indeed. Knew something was amiss as there were too many great topics on the 991 board for Gary not to venture into ... he and his insights and wit and patience and style will be missed. RIP.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Always enjoyed reading his posts. He will surely be missed. RIP Gary.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

A truly sad day indeed. His resume is quite impressive. His contribution to this forum will be sorely missed. May he find eternal happiness with his wife now.

Quick Reply: Gary Sims passed away