Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very, very impressed with the PDK transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Very, very impressed with the PDK transmission.

Well I test drove a couple cars, one was a 997.1TT manual and the other was a 2011 Carrera S with PDK.
I turbo was very quick and surprisingly quiet, I guess because the turbos help quiet the exhaust.
Personally I prefer a louder exhaust note, like the one from the sport exhaust 991's.
I found the normal ride quality to be a tad harsher in the Turbo than the CarreraS as well.
What really surprised me was the quickness and smoothness of the PDK transmission.
I've driven other auto/manual transmissions and there was always some lag in the shifting, and none were near as quick as the PDK.
With the PDK it is almost instantaneous, and this was a 2011 car. I read somewhere that the new 991 PDK shift even better.
I did not care much for the button shift on the steering wheel, I think proper paddles are a must, at least for me. I kept pushing the wrong way.
In automatic mode the shifts were sometimes imperceptible.
I have one question. With the PDK transmission, since the computer is doing the shifting for you both up and down the gears, will it be less likely to need service compared to a manual transmission?
What is the life of a PDK trans before it needs any service?
I guess another benefit with the PDK is that over-revving and damaging the engine is not possible, so no worries about lending the car to a friend.
I'll probably wait until the new 991 Turbo's come out which will inevitably trigger a drop in price of the 997 Turbo's.
I currently have a 2005 Boxster, and from driving my Boxster and test driving these other P cars, Porsches definitely have a distinctive driving feel that no cars I've driven can match, except my recently sold Ariel Atom.
It's that intimate feeling of being as one with the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i got my 09 4S last week. Just yesterday i tried the sports plus and i went through the gears. all i can say WOW!

its like the gearbox can read your mind! and the gear shifts are air swifted superbike fast! simply amazing technology!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Bdal451
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kouzman
i got my 09 4S last week. Just yesterday i tried the sports plus and i went through the gears. all i can say WOW!

its like the gearbox can read your mind! and the gear shifts are air swifted superbike fast! simply amazing technology!
+1

Quick Reply: Very, very impressed with the PDK transmission.