Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it just opens Baffles I believe.

I had it on my 07 C4S and loved it, kept it on 90% of the time, great sound through the rpm range. Although, if it wasn't already on the car, I wouldn't spend the $$ for it, I would look to a Gundo or quality aftermarket full exhaust and get a tiny bit of gains to boot.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

In terms of sound quality is Gundo as good as PSE?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:23 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink

One more thing...you're not being any more of a dick when the exhaust is enhanced than when you're putting around in the car going to your nearest ice cream stand.
Absolutely you are. Using PSE more heavily imposes the car's noise on others - others who might not want to be bothered by it.

A beautiful woman quietly walking down the street is much less offensive than that same beautiful woman walking down the street shouting about how rich her boyfriend is.

My only point in this is that I don't want my car to intrude on other people's personal space. To me, people's sense of hearing is part of that personal space. You can close your eyes or look away, but you can't turn off your ears. It's pretty selfish of us to think that everyone wants to hear us roar down the street in our sports cars. Turn it down to a normal level and give the neighborhood a break.

If there was some aftermarket gadget that allowed the engine noise to be funneled into the cabin while maintaining the same noise levels outside the car would you buy it? (Insert 991 symposer joke here.) I'd bet many of us would not, preferring instead to announce our manly sports car presence to whomever is within earshot.

If there's one rule I try to live by it's this: Be Aware That There Are Other People Conducting Their Lives Around You. Don't impose yourself on others who are not asking for it. Let other people live their lives without necessarily having to deal with YOU. Similarly I expect other people to get out of my way, too.

I've been pretty consistent about this in other posts on this forum... I try not to scream "LOOK AT ME IN MY PORSCHE!" My C2S is not yellow, green, red or even cobalt blue. It's a subdued atlas gray. My PSE is off and I hope to see you in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by mgordon18; 06-28-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Removing possible "fightin' words."
Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I love the PSE on my 997S! Added it after purchasing the car. The only thing I don't like about my TT (even with the aftermarket exhaust I added) is that it doesn't growl like my S.

You don't need to have the full installation with the button - that's the expensive part (workbook time is something like 4-6 hours). An inexpensive solution is Carnewal's remote control - opens and closes the baffles but avoids all the time consuming and complicated factory hookup.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97084.htm
Old 06-28-2012, 02:31 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
What does a dealer install cost if you don't mind saying? Are the exhaust tips replaced as well?
A dealer will try to charge you for as many as 10 hours, for a job that takes about 3-4.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
So the pse does not give any horsepower advantage?
PSE adds about 5 butt dyno HP.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by mgordon18
gives me the finger for no reason, etc.
Similarly I expect other people to get out of my way, too.
It's all starting to make sense, now.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
It's all starting to make sense, now.
Sorry... Can't hear you over your engine sound! I'll have wait til you pass by to resume the conversation...

Really? Is it me? Is everyone else in the world so enamored with the sound of horsepower that they don't mind having to wait until we pass to resume whatever conversation they were in? All the men, women and children who couldn't give a darn what car they drive... they love it when we pass by with PSE on? It just seems so superfluous. In everything else we do all day, we try to stay out of each others' way, but when we drive by we MUST be heard! Let's get over ourselves!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Sorry... Can't hear you over your engine sound! I'll have wait til you pass by to resume the conversation...

Really? Is it me? Is everyone else in the world so enamored with the sound of horsepower that they don't mind having to wait until we pass to resume whatever conversation they were in? All the men, women and children who couldn't give a darn what car they drive... they love it when we pass by with PSE on? It just seems so superfluous. In everything else we do all day, we try to stay out of each others' way, but when we drive by we MUST be heard! Let's get over ourselves!
I'm sorry, what did you say? I can't hear you.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svb
What does a dealer install cost if you don't mind saying? Are the exhaust tips replaced as well?
I think it cost around $3,000. Worth every penny.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Slamuth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
So the pse does not give any horsepower advantage?
Nope, no horsepower benefit with PSE, it's an "earpower" mod only.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could swear that when I put my '06 C2S in sport mode, besides the exhaust note difference, the throttle feels much more different, too!

Or, are we discussing something different?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason Judd
I could swear that when I put my '06 C2S in sport mode, besides the exhaust note difference, the throttle feels much more different, too!

Or, are we discussing something different?
You must have sport chrono in addition to PSE. The sport button does double duty in that case, giving you the stiffer springs and remapped throttle of sport chrono as well as the stronger exhaust sound of PSE. In non sport chrono cars there's a separate PSE button.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 997.1 off a lot - did not order it. It had everything I wanted plus Sport / PSE. I thought it was a joke and that I would never use it.

Boy was I wrong.

The first time I turned it on I really liked it. IMO, it really enhances the sport driving experience.

For those claiming you are a more of a dick for using it - you are way off. In an idle situation, slow rolling around a parking lot, it's not noisy - plus, guess what, I can turn it off. If I was revving the engine in those situations - that makes me a dick, not my exhaust. On back roads, having fun, windows down - PSE very much adds to the experience.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You must have sport chrono in addition to PSE. The sport button does double duty in that case, giving you the stiffer springs and remapped throttle of sport chrono as well as the stronger exhaust sound of PSE. In non sport chrono cars there's a separate PSE button.
Almost right . . . If you have a factory (Stuttgart) installed PSE w/ Sport Chrono the DME controls the PSE.

There was (or is) very strict laws in Germany regarding automobile exhaust noise so Porsche has the DME activating or deactivating the PSE depending vehicle speed. I believe it goes to the 'loud' state when the vehicle speed exceeds approx. 30 mph. Most 'enthusiasts' simply disconnect the vacuum solenoid which leaves the PSE in the 'loud' state 100% of the time.

Most post factory or DIY installs place a simple on/off toggle switch in the 12V line going to the PSE vacuum solenoid. Some Porsche dealer installs clone the factory method. DIY's tend not to 'play' w/ the DME method of PSE implementation. At least I chose not to. Factory PSE on non-sport chrono cars have a switch in the panel, that normally has the 'Sport' button, that allows the driver to control the PSE.

I have a user controlled PSE in my 997S. I place it in the 'quiet' mode when the wife is aboard.

Is PSE it worth it . . . . depends on the individual case.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?