Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, I just did this with one exactly like that on ebay for $74.00. I was extremely skeptical but they provided instructions and I swapped everything over exactly as they explained, used a lot of my wifes nail cleaner to melt the plastic from the old key to remove the transponder but other than that sloppy mess, it was pretty quick and easy. Worked perfectly and now I have a brand new key. My second key was cracked, barely working and looked like crap so bought this and now have a brand new working key/fob.

Originally Posted by boolala
I lost one of my Porsche keys. The one that was in good shape and rarely used (of course). The other one is being held together with scotch tape as I have dropped it so often that the case has nearly disintegrated. Doing a forum search I see that Suncoast sells replacement shells for 997.2 keys that appear more robust than the cheap (but not inexpensive) 997.1 keys. Has anyone done a transplant of the "guts" of the 997.1 key into the 997.2 shell? here's a link to the Suncoast item: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//BLKKH2.html

My concern is their disclaimer that "In some cases, you may be able to transfer over your current "key guts" to the new key housing."

In "some" cases?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:25 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel
Yes, I just did this with one exactly like that on ebay for $74.00. I was extremely skeptical but they provided instructions and I swapped everything over exactly as they explained, used a lot of my wifes nail cleaner to melt the plastic from the old key to remove the transponder but other than that sloppy mess, it was pretty quick and easy. Worked perfectly and now I have a brand new key. My second key was cracked, barely working and looked like crap so bought this and now have a brand new working key/fob.
Any dealer intervention for programming, etc.?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

No and they specifically state that many keys online require that where theirs doesnt...the little ceramic transponder that has to be removed carefully from the old key is what is programmed to the car to open doors. The metal key itself, you are also removing which is specific to your car and both of those are inserted into the new key. The company from ebay, actually states that they will do the swap for you if your preference is to not do it yourself. I dont know if they charge for that or its complimentary but I wanted to try it myself.

I am going to do another one, but this time send my key to them and let them do the swap. I dont have the patience to make the mess of removing the transponder on another. I kept worrying that I was going to break it and once that happens, you are stuck ordering a new key fob and having it coded. It wasnt hard by any means, took about a total of an hour from start to finish, just because of the time it had to sit in the melting liquid.

By the way, I said $74.00, it was $49.95, I just looked it up in ebay. $74.00 was what I paid for my replacement clear stone guards.

Here is the ebay title: Replace Your Porsche 2 Button Key Head- 911/997 No Programming Required! NEW!

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any dealer intervention for programming, etc.?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,263 Likes on 3,989 Posts

I did my first one with the nail polish melting method. The last 2 I skipped this just using a strong and sharp razor knife to cut through the adhesive along all 4 sides of the ceramic transponder, including the thin plastic walls toward the center of the key. Once that's done, the transponder comes out with very little force. No mess. Then I just use the razor knife to scrape any residual glue off the ceramic surfaces on all 6 sides so it's ready to be glued back into the new key head. All 3 I've done work perfectly.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced mine a few months back too using the fingernail polish remover approach. Or more precisely, I didn't have any fingernail polish remover, but I did have a can of acetone (which is the main chemical agent in polish remover). It was maybe a 30 minute job to do. The acetone destroyed the original key plastic quite thoroughly.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:12 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

FYI, update. I was feeling a little lazy and wanted to do my second key to match the first I just converted myself with the key and process I described above. This time I asked them what would they charge do do the entire conversion for me. Key and conversion, $84.xx. I sent it off yesterday via priority mail. Gary told me 2 to 3 days to convert and then will send it back. So take it on yourself and save $35.00 or send it to them and its done. Either way, this is an outstanding option to ordering a new key and you end up with a new key anyway. Its not the metal part of the key that wears out, its the cheap plastic parts and battery. Nice to know someone created an easy fix for under $100.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Rickwv
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody used LUIGI997 idea of a hot glue gun. I have been watching this thread for a while because I only recieved one key with my car and then last night I ran over the @$#*&^ key with my *#@&^%$ wheelchair. I have it back together (in theory) and it works, for now.

If you need a key blade and have it cut(even by picture for reference). Go to EBAY
then AUTOMOBILE HIGH SECURITY KEY CUTTING and scroll down to VOLVOJAGUARFORDPORSCHE HIGH SECURITY KEY CUT SERVICE(fobkeyless is dealer). They did a very nice job for me using a picture for reference.

Rick
Old 12-06-2014, 01:27 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my new blade and old blade to a locksmith shop and he replicated the new blade for $30.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:08 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel

By the way, I said $74.00, it was $49.95, I just looked it up in ebay. $74.00 was what I paid for my replacement clear stone guards.
In my case one of the buttons had fallen off on a 997.2 style key. I got this one for $18 almost a year ago and it's been working perfectly. It doesn't have the little Porsche logo but in my case I only had to replace the half of the key head with the buttons.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacem...item54099f60d3

Quick Reply: Porsche Key