Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When do you shift gears?
I have a tip or PDK. Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
7.06%
Gas is pricey! I keep it <2000 as much as I can
1.18%
Under 2000? That's lugging the motor! I keep it at 2000-3000.
7.06%
I like it no lower than 2000 and up to 4500. Really 3000-4500. Love the vroom.
65.88%
Once it's warmed up, I push it to the redline. I love power!
18.82%
I'm a moody person and can't commit to a polling option.
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

When do you shift? Powerband?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When do you shift? Powerband?

Someone was telling me I shift too late. Do you?

J
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leisurely commuting?
Spirited driving?
What?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Leisurely commuting?
Spirited driving?
What?
I was thinking sort of everyday driving; not bumper to bumper; and not a driving event.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I like it no lower than 2000 and up to 4500. Really 3000-4500. Love the vroom.

That being said, if I'm pulling hard I'll take it over 6k without thinking twice. I start to feel the torque wain after that but when you shift you're right where you need to be for the next gear. Plus, I think a regular brief trip to the upper rpms is good for the engine. That's what it's made for.

Like I said this is under acceleration and not just hanging out in the upper rpms. There's no need for that.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Where's the poll option for 8400rpm?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 434 Posts

Street cruising: above 2,500 RPMs. Shift around 3,000-3,500 RPMs.

Track: Redline!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to get it up to Warp 4, then upshift. Then repeat three or four more times.

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Your poll starts with the false assumption that PDK owners don't shift for themselves in manual mode. No user controlled clutch, but otherwise upshift points are almost as relevant as with a manual. HAL doesn't get to do much work when I drive.

As it did when I drove a manual, shifting at the right place is about tempo; higher shift points with more throttle and acceleration, lower shift points with less throttle and a more leisurely pace. I almost never shift below 3K in normal around town driving in manual mode with PDK and didn't when I was working the clutch myself either.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have PDK, but doesnt mean i dont shift ;-)

i miss my old 325's tho.. PSM off on 325's and it puts all the power down when you tell it... doesnt pull back because it thinks you cant handle it..
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your poll starts with the false assumption that PDK owners don't shift for themselves in manual mode. No user controlled clutch, but otherwise upshift points are almost as relevant as with a manual. HAL doesn't get to do much work when I drive.

Yeah, that's the thing with these polls; they're not objective and I am not a market researcher. My coworker has a 996 C2 Cabrio and he was telling me that I was letting it run too much past 3000 RPM. I told him that when I was test driving, the sales guy kept saying, keep it up to 4500. My pal thinks that's just BS so that the prospective buyer can get sold on the sexy motor sounds. Oh, he's a marketer so he thinks everyone is a liar. Can't fault him that. ;-). I figure the point of having a redline is so you can use the engine up to that point, right??

In any case, PDK gives you a lot of flexibility, as the system will shift for you unless you are really being diligent with it.

So, that was my totally arbitrary basis for making the poll: to show my pal that he's wrong.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

after getting used to the car i do not let rpms lower than 3K. MPG is stabilized at 16 or so, and street upshifts are usually at 5K.

best powerband is from 4K to 6K rpm, so lugging car at 2K rpm is IMHO not worth it.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
Yeah, that's the thing with these polls; they're not objective and I am not a market researcher. My coworker has a 996 C2 Cabrio and he was telling me that I was letting it run too much past 3000 RPM. I told him that when I was test driving, the sales guy kept saying, keep it up to 4500. My pal thinks that's just BS so that the prospective buyer can get sold on the sexy motor sounds. Oh, he's a marketer so he thinks everyone is a liar. Can't fault him that. ;-). I figure the point of having a redline is so you can use the engine up to that point, right??

In any case, PDK gives you a lot of flexibility, as the system will shift for you unless you are really being diligent with it.

So, that was my totally arbitrary basis for making the poll: to show my pal that he's wrong.
A poll from a bunch of amateurs (sorry, but we are mostly amateurs) is not the way to show your friend he's wrong. For all he knows, we were just caught up in the marketing, too! Rather than having him explain the marketing-related reasons for why the salesguy was telling you to shift at 4500rpm, have him explain to you the technical reasons for why one shouldn't let the revs get that high. If people "shouldn't" do it, then there should be some strong reasons. Ask him to explain the hows and whys behind his claims. If he doesn't understand what's actually going on in there, he doesn't really have the expertise (and thus authority) to tell someone else how they should treat their engine.

Then, let him ask you for technical reasons for why one should shift later, should one want. A later shift means more horsepower, which is fun. A later shift also means higher compression braking when you're off throttle, which causes the engine to be more sensitive to throttle inputs, which is also fun. Try to find dynos of your car and his, and compare your torque curves and where you shift. If I'm remembering my C2 engines correctly, neither of you are actually using the power band, which means you're both barely touching the power and excitement the engine has to offer.

Later shifts are fun because of power, compression braking, sounds, etc., etc. Shifting later does burn a bit more fuel, and it can cause a bit more engine wear, but the level of increased engine wear is so slight, it's not worth worrying about (unless, that is, you never change the oil, in which case, change the oil!). One should shift a the point that balances their desire for economy, fun, acceleration, vehicle behavior, etc. at that particular moment. If that's 3,000 rpm for your marketing friend, that's fine, but it being 4500, or 5000, or redline for you is fine, too.

Now, for an actual answer to your poll! In Nugget's car (GT3 RS - significant cam shift between 4,000 and 5,000 rpm), I'll try to keep the car under 4,000 rpm if I'm driving casually. If I touch the edge of that cam shift, the combination of power and engine noise tempts me to around 8,000rpm, and I quickly find myself doing things I should not on a busy Houston street. if I'm playing around, though, I'll take it to 7500, 8000 rpm (8400 rpm redline) regularly, and on track... "Dang rev limiter"
Old 10-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
No sweat. I didn't mean to be critical in my comments, just pointing out that even we PDK converts still pay attention to shift points.

Quick Reply: When do you shift? Powerband?