Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tan Interior - Paint for Plastic Surfaces

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

When my cheap plastic center console started looking shabby like that, I had it covered in leather. I posted photos in a separate post a couple of months ago. Costs more than touch up paint, but looks rich and should be much more durable.

BTW, I never did figure out how all those marks got on there, as I'm pretty careful. But perhaps it doesn't take much to make those marks either.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick follow-up to my post above. I took the car to Leith Porsche in Raleigh this morning. They gave me a (Cayman) loaner so I could visit some friends who live there rather than hanging around their lounge/waiting area.

Three hours later, I came back and was astonished to see that the chipped paint on the airbag cover was completely repaired, with no sign that it had ever been damaged, and the snag in the passenger's side seat was completely invisible. I don't know how they did it, but I was glad to swipe my credit card to get results like that. Kudos to Leith and the magic man!
The following users liked this post:
yvesvidal (01-23-2024)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah...in most cities there is one go-to leather repair guy who does all or most of the highline dealers (I happen to know one of these guys, and have known him my entire life).

They can work wonders on interior vinyl and plastics. The better ones understand the soft touch material, how to spray it properly so it fills and can be sanded and filled again, etc....for a flawless repair, even on non leather.

Either way, if it looks good to you (the owner) that's what matters. Why the hell Porsche does not cover all this stuff with leather on a six figure car is beyond me. But I guess that's why we have so many folks ordering painted consoles too.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Why the hell Porsche does not cover all this stuff with leather on a six figure car is beyond me.
My thoughts exactly, especially given how cheap the plastic looks. I've seen better looking stuff in Korean cars.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very tempted to take mine to dealers to get sorted, but its probably not bad enough to justify the costs.

Stratches are tiny, and would probably go un-noticed to most people, but being the perfectionist that I am, I really want my car to be scratch free.

In the pics at the beginning of this thread it looks like the touch up paint did a great job, so for time being i'll continue to search out the paint.

If that doesnt work or isnt as good as i hope, I'll either go leather route, or body coloured.

Anyone help on where to source the appropriate colour paint in UK?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

The only problem with touchups and resprays is that the slush-paint being covered is breaking down chemically and no longer adhering to the plastic. I can see doing touch-ups of random nicks and scratches as a DIY, but if I'm going to pay a pro for a fix, I want a real fix, and that means removing the parts, stripping off all the old finish, and then re-finishing and re-priming before re-painting.

On my sand-beige I've got scratches on the narrow strip between the windscreen and the leather dash (caused by using a sunshade when parked, I think) and that piece doesn't just pop off without taking the whole dash apart.

I've been meaning to drop by my local Hope Depot, think it's just about time. Last weekend I re-dyed the carpeting on the rear package shelf and backs of the rear seats that had faded almost white from the sun, and that turned out great.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
On my sand-beige I've got scratches on the narrow strip between the windscreen and the leather dash (caused by using a sunshade when parked, I think) and that piece doesn't just pop off without taking the whole dash apart.
That strip along the windshield at back of dash pops off easily, but you also have to remove the A-pillar covers since the dash strips (left and right) have a hook at the end that is retained by the pillar cover.
1. remove pillar covers
2. pop off center speaker grill
3. pop off left and right filler strips along windshield.

BTW, I invested in a set of plastic interior trim removal tools from Suncoast. They aren't mandatory, but make things a lot easier.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have a formula or source for the volcanic grey paint used on seat backs and other random trim?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by keninirvine
That strip along the windshield at back of dash pops off easily, but you also have to remove the A-pillar covers since the dash strips (left and right) have a hook at the end that is retained by the pillar cover.
1. remove pillar covers
2. pop off center speaker grill
3. pop off left and right filler strips along windshield.

BTW, I invested in a set of plastic interior trim removal tools from Suncoast. They aren't mandatory, but make things a lot easier.
Thanks! The dealer told me the whole dash had to come apart
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Anyone have a formula or source for the volcanic grey paint used on seat backs and other random trim?
Midwest Products' Aero Gloss #50-1 "Semi-Gloss Silvaire Aluminum" is pretty darn close. Well-stocked model/hobby shops should carry it. I don't know if it comes in spray or just little bottles.

And while we're on the subject, for little nicks on the inside door opening handles and the bright silver trim on the steering wheel, I tried some of the brush-on touch-up I had from a silver '07 Volvo and it matched perfectly.

Testor's Flat Black works extremely well to mask small show-throughs on the black PCM and Aircon controls (mine are the semi-matte plastic, not the soft-touch finish).

Finally, for the Sand Beige interior THIS blends very nicely for faded carpet areas. Just use a soft brush to work it in, not the scrub brush they recommend! (Porsche carpet is as delicate as the rest of the interior finish!).
Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Default $

Would anyone fancy making a few $$?

I've continued to search length and breadth of UK, and cant find a suitable paint match anywhere.

Would anyone in US fancy taking a trip to Home Depot and buying a pot of paint, and then mailing to UK.

Not only would it help out a fellow forum member and 911 owner, I'd also make it worth while with a few $$ for the effort.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Default Trying again - Send some to UK??

Hi all,

Really struggling to try and source some of the paint mentioned in the first post.
Search high & Low all across the UK for a stockist of BEHR paint, or somewhere who could mix it appropriately, and cannot find anywhere!

If anyone is kind enough to help me out with getting some mixed up from Home Depot, and sending across the pond to UK, it would be much appreciated, and I'd obviously make it worthwhile.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elliot,

I have the paint and am willing to ship but I am not sure whether the postal service permits shipping of paint. I assume that's the reason why you have not heard from others. If you know of a way to get the paint to you, I am more than willing to help. I am in Canada.

Matthew
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
elliot_holeer
AutoX

Default Thank You

Thanks Matthew - Much appreciated.

You are spot on, didnt think it would be easy, but seems to be more involved than I had expected as its classed as a hazardous material. Given there is a lot involved, its completely up to you if you want to progress or not, obviously I'd really appreciate it, and would cover any costs etc.

I've been busy today checking out the options (should really have been doing work, but never mind)

Apparently its OK provided its packaged and marked appropriately. It would ideally needs to be a Quart or as small an amount possible, and on the package marked "Consumer Commodity - ORM-D AIR"
It would also need a shippers declaration form completed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5942469_send...aint-mail.html

In terms of packagaging, this is also quite specific.

The can needs to be packed in a zip-close plastic bag, then placed inside a metal can with a push fit lid which forms a leakproof seal. The can also filled with absorbent or some kind of cushioning material to stop it shaking around. Then the metal can is placed in a box, also filled with cushioning material.

This site seems to supply the required packaging
http://www.dgsupplies.com/1-Quart-Pa...pper_p_48.html

Then, its recommended that its posted either via UPS or Fed-Ex, both of which are apparently familiar with shipping paint.

Phew, and thats it...

If you are still up for it, let me know. I'll cover any costs, but completely appreciate if all the above is too much effort, i'd not appreciated that it would be classed as hazadous. I'd assumed it would be water based acrylic and not oil based enamel.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked FedEx and International Economy shipping option is close to $140 CAD. That's for a small can the size of a baby food jar. Are you ok with that? If you don't have a large surface that needs painting, I would try other paint matched to sand beige and try that first.

Quick Reply: Tan Interior - Paint for Plastic Surfaces