Sponsored by:

997 Hardtop Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
I got mine retofitted to the newer hardware as well. Mine is alot quieter now, but I still get a rattle from the passenger side C pillar when I go over bumps.

Could something in there be loose or is this an adjustment issue?
Place a washer or two on the screw pin. It will get rid of the rattle.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keninirvine, such is notthe case with the kit.... Hence my work around, posted above.
I tried tugging/pulling at the trim pannel securing points but was afraid I'd break the plastic tabs off if I used any additional force. Tips??
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Keninirvine, such is notthe case with the kit.... Hence my work around, posted above.
I tried tugging/pulling at the trim pannel securing points but was afraid I'd break the plastic tabs off if I used any additional force. Tips??
Is it not possible to splice/solder the leads back together? BTW, where are you located? (anywhere near So Cal?)
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Dan: Your ability to post photos and schematics covering almost any topic never ceases to amaze me. Very helpful info.

I would have hoped that the retrofit kit would allow replacement of the roof anchors without having to get in behind the headliner to disconnect the defroster connection, unless that connector above part no. 9 is at the anchor rather than at the rear window.
Part No. 9 is merely an enclosure secured to the rear 'shelf' and its function is to hide the bolt assembly, and the therefore the wiring that supports the rear window heat. I would imagine there is a short length of wire from that left No. 9 device to where the grid on the rear window gets its power.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Is it not possible to splice/solder the leads back together? BTW, where are you located? (anywhere near So Cal?)
What I ended up doing was just leave the "old" leads in place, cut them from old Bayonet end and put matching electrical connectors on then simply installed the new screw type hardware and plug the new wire harness in. I then tucked the excess wires up under the headliner trim and done!

I'm in North Texas.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbybailey
I got mine retofitted to the newer hardware as well. Mine is alot quieter now, but I still get a rattle from the passenger side C pillar when I go over bumps.

Could something in there be loose or is this an adjustment issue?
You may want to try loseening all the bolts INCLUDING the locking nuts around the shaft for the hardware on the hardtop. adjust the hardtop in position. Now with the mouting pins loose you can "feel" for their natural position. STEP 1: secure nuts hold shaft in it's "new position" THEN alternate tightening the three bolts securing the bracket to the top, untill all are tight. Repeat for the other side and you're good to go!

This is what I did an no creeks/rattles.....so far.

BTW here are some pics of my 997 w/ the new hardtop on.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Musclehedz101; 03-01-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

What I ended up doing was just leave the "old" leads in place, cut them from old Bayonet end and put matching electrical connectors on then simply installed the new screw type hardware and plug the new wire harness in. I then tucked the excess wires up under the headliner trim and done!

I'm in North Texas.
Good news about the solution. Too bad you're not closer, as I was hoping to be able to look at yours when I tackle this job one day. Need to get a top first.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

BTW, thought I'd share pics of the hardtop stand I made out of 1" PVC, works great!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post7356859
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

You may want to try loseening all the bolts INCLUDING the locking nuts around the shaft for the hardware on the hardtop. adjust the hardtop in position. Now with the mouting pins loose you can "feel" for their natural position. STEP 1: secure nuts hold shaft in it's "new position" THEN alternate tightening the three bolts securing the bracket to the top, untill all are tight. Repeat for the other side and you're good to go!

This is what I did an no creeks/rattles.....so far.

BTW here are some pics of my 997 w/ the new hardtop on.
Nice photos. Thanks. So are you happy with the noise reduction inside the car when the hardtop is on?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Nice photos. Thanks. So are you happy with the noise reduction inside the car when the hardtop is on?
Yes, very much so and love the additional headroom.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 AM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2. Totally diggin my hardtop as well. Can't wait for spring though!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 PM
louie007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hardtop

i was always told that no question is ever stupid , do all 997 convertible come ready for a hard top or is that a sperate kit that has to be purschased , thank s
Old 01-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Andrew Davis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone have an answer to

Do all 997 gen 1 convertibles come ready to accept the hard top or is there a seperate kit ?.

Thanks andrew
Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Davis
Did anyone have an answer to

Do all 997 gen 1 convertibles come ready to accept the hard top or is there a seperate kit ?.

Thanks andrew
I can't say "all" but know mine did not come from factory with receiveing mounts installed. It's easy enough to check if your 997.1 has them or not.

Simply pop off the circular plastic caps in your rear deck and look inside to see if the "receivers" for the hardtop hardware is there or not.

Regards!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by louie007
i was always told that no question is ever stupid , do all 997 convertible come ready for a hard top or is that a sperate kit that has to be purschased , thank s
Well, you were mistaken!

OK, just kidding. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Actually, that is a good question. I don't have the answer, but my "guess" is..... if a hardtop was not ordered with the car, then the hardware will not be there. Porsche does not give anything for free.

Quick Reply: 997 Hardtop Question