Sponsored by:

997 Door Dent/Crease in rear quarter

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 997 Door Dent/Crease in rear quarter

Left my car at the Collection on Friday here in Miami for warranty work, was in a hurry and picked it up without looking at the passenger side.

Took the car out of the garage on Saturday morning noticed someone opened a door on the rear quarter/flair. Pissed, as I did not see it, otherwise I would have raised hell at the dealer.

Unreal how this can happen at a high end dealer. I have searched a few sites and most say paintless dent removel will not work on the quarters as it has two layers of metal.

Anyone have any ideas. Also, I would suggest when dropping the cars off at the dealers make sure you go over the entire car with the service rep and examine it closely on return.

Amazing how no one gives a F__K about anything.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go back to the dealer and show them the damage. Let them know the only place it could have possibly occurred is at their shop and that you expect them to take responsibility for repairing it. Not sure there's much you can do if they refuse, except slam them on the board., and also let Porsche NA and PCA know about it. Dealers do read these posts.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Princeton Porsche recently had a dent wizard demo with a door ding on rear quarter panel of a Boxter. All i can say was it was Amazing..The guy was an artist and the ding was no more...
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on what Phil said, take it back to the dealer.

Paint-less dent removal CAN be done on the rear quarter panel. How do I know this? I had the same thing happen to my '04 996 at the dealership. Fortunately for me, the service manager and I walked around the car that morning and no damage was noticed. When I went to get the car, I saw the dent. The service manager was not even aware of it.

Here are a couple of pics of the dent. The "dent dude" they used did a great job of getting it out. Even the very top of the dent which was almost creased.

So even if your dealer won't take care of this, there are options. Ask them which paint-less dent company they use. Good luck!
Attached Images     
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM
tedhase
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove dings from the rear quarter as long as the dent sits above the flat facing above the wheel well. I had a small, 3/4" door ding on the flared area at about the 11 o-clock position to the rear wheel and it was restored to pristine by a local dent wizard recommended by the dealer.

The restorer did say that I was very fortunate in that if the dent was 1/8" lower and crossed over onto the flat facing just above the wheel well he wouldn't have been able to do anything about it since that area is double-walled.

Good luck.

Regards,
-Ted
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default dent

Mine is on the flat part of the rear quarter, i guess i am out of luck, it just kills me to have to paint a quarter panel for a dent NOT caused by me.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

sucks man, an old car of mine had huge dent in back they PDR'd it well, wish dealers would take better care... when i went to porsche recently they were very careful and walked the car twice after. i was impressed
Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ljpviper
Left my car at the Collection on Friday here in Miami for warranty work, was in a hurry and picked it up without looking at the passenger side.

Took the car out of the garage on Saturday morning noticed someone opened a door on the rear quarter/flair. Pissed, as I did not see it, otherwise I would have raised hell at the dealer.

Unreal how this can happen at a high end dealer. I have searched a few sites and most say paintless dent removel will not work on the quarters as it has two layers of metal.

Anyone have any ideas. Also, I would suggest when dropping the cars off at the dealers make sure you go over the entire car with the service rep and examine it closely on return.

Amazing how no one gives a F__K about anything.
Had that happen to me twice. What really pissed me off is that both times the dealer had parked the car in the slot BACKWARDS, or backed in, so that I would not see the passenger side unless I did a walk around. I've never been back, not even once, to either dealership.

Best of outcomes with yours.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Early 1970s a friend of mine stationed in Germany had his MB 1000k service. They called him apologetic and
asked if he could leave the car another day. The next day he asked about the delay...they told him someone put a scratch/dent on the door and they had ordered a new door from the factory and that it would take 12hrs for the paint to dry.
Times have changed.... and not for the better. Now, most do not want to take any responsibility for their actions.
abe
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Not ever at the Collection.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...pic=13770&st=0
Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't give up until you talk to a good PDR expert. Last time I stopped in for a talk, they were pulling out a minor dent. They did an amazing job on a small dent I had (but in a different position for sure).
Old 05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

I had one removed by dent wizard in the same place. I have a cab and there is a drip hole which reveals itself when the top is 1/2 way up/down. He used that hold to gain access and the dent is about 98% gone. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 997 Door Dent/Crease in rear quarter