Sponsored by:

Suspension or Steering Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension or Steering Problem?

I am setting an appointment for service, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced what I am. If I turn the wheels to full lock left and reverse I get a popping sound I can hear and feel. I'm not backing up quickly, just normal speed so I don't think it is under steer (can you even get under steer in reverse or does that change it to over steer?). It does not do it at full lock right. It is happening when backing out of parking spots. I have not attempted to reproduce it going forward yet.

I hope it's not something major, but I am still under warranty.

Any input would be great.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

There were a few guys that had the same issue a while back. There are probably some loose connections in the front suspension. I wouldn't be surprised that once the tech checks and torques these connections properly, the issue will be resolved.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Sounds like an easy fix, I hope it is the case.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Possible Loose Sway Bar
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Possible Loose Sway Bar
That is my guess
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you ever doing a ful wheel lock
Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM
usmarine2003
Advanced

My car does the exact same thing under the same circumstances.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Tire rubbing on the wheel liner/splash shield.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
CBnAT
Pro

I called service and he said it is normal. He claims because it is cold the wheel is skipping on the pavement. I told him it has happened before when it was not cold and I insisted I don't like it and I want it looked at. I go in Tuesday. I will let you guys know what happens.

Although I think it is irrelevant to the problem, I use full lock because I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and once I back out of the drive way I have to turn 180 degrees to head up the street. To avoid the problem by avoiding full lock to me sounds like avoiding an electrical problem by not using the device affected by said problem. Also, I am concerned that if I do not address the issue with service should there actually be something wrong they will not cover it because I neglected it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Tire rubbing on the wheel liner/splash shield.
It definitely is not a rubbing sound.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Originally Posted by usmarine2003
My car does the exact same thing under the same circumstances.
Only in winter, or all the time? Does it make you feel uncomfortable?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

The cars DO do this when it's cold, 'especially' when going lock to lock w/ cold tires and a really cold ground. I've noticed they'll do this occassionally when it's even 50F out. But have it checked out regardless.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:54 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

im in atlanta too and mine does this on cold days on col tires while backing out of the garage. only happens when its lower than about 35-40 F. let us know what the dealer says anyway.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Under warranty have car checked. Some noise when wheel at full lock...

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I am setting an appointment for service, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced what I am. If I turn the wheels to full lock left and reverse I get a popping sound I can hear and feel. I'm not backing up quickly, just normal speed so I don't think it is under steer (can you even get under steer in reverse or does that change it to over steer?). It does not do it at full lock right. It is happening when backing out of parking spots. I have not attempted to reproduce it going forward yet.

I hope it's not something major, but I am still under warranty.

Any input would be great.
and either moving forward or backing up normal for these cars. At full lock -- and you can check this for yourself if you want -- the inside tire not in full contact with the ground. As the car moves and this tires wants to make a sharper turn it skips on the pavement. A vibration (rapid popping like even) will be the result. Naturally this symptom more likely to occur in colder tempeatures, with worn (hard) tires, and certain pavement materials/finishes have an affect too.

Pull into a parking space with room. Turn wheel to full lock. Shut off engine. (Not good to keep wheel at full lock with engine running. Stresses power steering system and steering rack.) Get out of car and look at the tire/pavement contact. The inside tire of the direction of the turn could have as much as 1/3rd its tread face off of the pavement.

Also, if you want, in a safe area at slow speed make a very sharp u-turn. (The inside tire may skip as I touched upon above and don't let this throw you.) After making turn release steering wheel and note where it comes to rest at "center". Do this several times making the u-turn in both directions. If wheel doesn't return to the same center -- say a difference of 1 to 1.5 times diameter of steering wheel spoke -- steering system suspect.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes my tires also skip in slow full lock turns when it's cold. I think this is a result of the combination of very short wheelbase and very wide tires. It only happens when it's cold and the tires are less pliable.

Quick Reply: Suspension or Steering Problem?