Sponsored by:

Jack point on 09 997

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Jack point on 09 997

Can someone point out the rear jack point to lift up the rear of a 09 Carrera. On the first generation 997 there was a metal stub next to the crankcase. I can't seem to locat that on the new generation.

Is the oil drain plug next to it? The oil filter is now accessible from the engine lid rather than below on the first generation.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about you post some pics of the underside if you have access to a camera and let's try to help out?!?! I would be interested in seeing the difference
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a pic. The 997.2 is missing the metal stub as mentioned by the OP. I don't see a place in the rear to lift the car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Absolutely do not jack up the rear of your car from the engine! If you go over to the 996 forum you'll read of a horror story about a guy and his engine mounts,--prematurely (perhaps) going out because of that when trying to change his oil.

I usually use the regular side (rear) jacking points and if I'm placing a stand I will jack it at a rear suspension junction and slip the jack under the usual jacking point. In the photo above I would locate it near the light blue disc looking things.

Here's a shot of my car,--NEVER use the engine area. I usually go for !, 2, or 3. Just long enough to place a jack stand and a hockey puck under the proper spots.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-11-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasn't really a horror story...just a difference of opinion about using the engine on the 996 as a jack point....in one case a guy used the engine stub and the mounts gave way. They're relatively easy to fix. There seems to be a difference of opinion about how detrimental this can be....mounts were probably on the way out anyway and needed replacing. Many guys use the engine casing flange as a jack point....but it doesn't look like the 997 has the same setup...so I'd not try it on the new cars.

Most guys use the engine stub just to get the wheels off the ground, then stick the jackstands under the side jackpoints and take the jack out.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto - I will never jack up my cars by the engine or anything else in the back. Only by the jacking points on the side of the car.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
cmoss

I pay my mechanic.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Ditto - I will never jack up my cars by the engine or anything else in the back. Only by the jacking points on the side of the car.
I get myself in enough trouble doing things by the book let alone trying something thats sounds like it would work. I won't even try the sump method on my SC. I have also seen very experienced people lift 996s and 7s at the suspension pickup points but I couldn't do it
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The easier way to all of this (as I mentioned on the 996 forum) is to make your own oil collecting bucket,--cut down a 5-gallon paint bucket to the size that clears your underside without requiring a lot of lifting!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

You're missing the point. If you use the jacking points on the side of the car, how do you get the jack stand under the jacking point. Your method is only good for lifting the car to remove a tire, etc. But, if I want it up on 4 jack stands, most people lifted the rear of the previous gen 997 by placing the jack under a metal stub BY the crankcase. It is not part of the engine.

Is it really safe to lift the rear on the suspension junction? It doesn't seem that solid.

Originally Posted by RonCT
Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody able to put the 997.2 safely on jack stands? Please explain procedure. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Here's the way I would do it,--and do it regularly.

Get yourself 4 seriously high quality jack stands. Buy 4 hockey pucks (99¢ each at sporting goods shops).
You can do this with 1 floor jack, but 2 is better!

Starting on one side, jack up the side the car from the rear jacking point with the floor jack. You will be able to get the entire side of the car up enough to place a jack under the front jacking point.

If you have a second floor jack, place it beneath the junction of a rear suspension member. (See the bottom photo from further up the thread). Instead, with only 1 floor jack, lower that jack and place it beneath the rear suspension member. Jack it up enough to place the rear jack stand.

Now go do this on the other side. When finished, you have the car on 4 jack stands, and each is on the jacking point. The suspension point works well for the temporary job of getting the rear jacks set. The more you do this the more comfortable you will get in doing it. Years ago you could jack from the bottom of the 911/930 engine cases, but all that changed with the 996 and 997 engines.

See this picture from today in my garage:
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Here's the way I would do it,--and do it regularly.

Get yourself 4 seriously high quality jack stands. Buy 4 hockey pucks (99¢ each at sporting goods shops).
You can do this with 1 floor jack, but 2 is better!

<snip>

See this picture from today in my garage:
WOW
you're younger than i thought!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Can someone point out the rear jack point to lift up the rear of a 09 Carrera. On the first generation 997 there was a metal stub next to the crankcase. I can't seem to locat that on the new generation.

Is the oil drain plug next to it? The oil filter is now accessible from the engine lid rather than below on the first generation.
photo of drain plug = no jack point
and
rear jack stand support point
below

actual jack point is the pad just in front of the rear wheel and inboard of the door sill.
no photo of that

also including photo pf coilover label, note Porsche's method of identifying what we call 997.2
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default solution to lifting and placing a 997 on jackstands

I am working on an alternate solution to the problem of jacking the car up by the jack-points and then putting it on jackstands.

1) 5 foot long of 2" by 2" (1/4" wall thickness) aluminum stock which is built up an additional half inch at its ends.

2) this aluminum "lifting bar" then has 3/4" holes drilled across each end of it at the exact distance as the front and rear lifting points on the 997.

3) a 3/4" piece of solid aluminum stock measuring 4 inches long is placed through each of the holes and welded in place, so that about 1 inch of it protrudes above the lifting bar, and another 1 inch section protrudes below.

4) I build a pair of custom aluminum fixed height jackstands (probably 1 foot tall) they will be on 1 foot square 3/8 thick aluminum plate bases. the top of the jackstands will have a flat aluminum pad with a 3/4 inch hole drilled through

OK, so here is the lifting procedure. Put the lifting bar under one side of the car with the 3/4" aluminum studs placed in the holes of the cars lifting points. Then put the floorjack under the middle of the lifting bar, closer to the rear, and lift the car up to 15 inches. Then place the jackstands under the 3/4" studs which point downwards, and lower the car onto the stands. (the stands should fit really nicely, because they would be flat on top to fit the flat undersurface of the lifting bar, and the stud from the lifting bar would engage the hole in the center-top of the jackstand, preventing slippage.

I have already purchased the materials and am ready to get started. One potential area of concern is if the lifting bar flexes enough to touch the rocker panel on the car, but I plan to just add on a truss to stiffen it)

I have posted all of this to see if anyone has done a similar project before, and also to see if I am missing something. any concerns? any comments?

once I have it done, I plan on making a more extensive post with some pictures to explain it better.

Quick Reply: Jack point on 09 997