Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for front license plate violation-Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for front license plate violation-Warning!

Sooooo
I parked on the street in the Marina District in San Francisco for lunch and when I returned, I saw a ticket wedged in the fender/hood seam (lazy bums!). I assume it is a parking ticket, but in fact it is a ticket for not displaying the front plate! Given by the Parking enforcement????? for $100 !!!.

I never knew meter maids can give tickets like that. Are they even part of the Police dept in San Francisco? They have their own dept, I think.

Anyway, it's a fix-it ticket that I'll either fight or pay-and-ignore. $100 not worth drilling holes in my car.

Jimmy
Old 08-17-2007, 11:48 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

If you park in Beverly Hills you will get a ticket almost immediately for no front plate. Eventually I got tired of this bs and just put the plate on.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 168 Posts

Same thing happens in the city of Santa Monica, too.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

dont put the plate on! buy a boot and boot the metermaids car!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:55 AM
andre5
Instructor

I just bought a Show and Go License Plate Transport out of curiosity. I intend to install it on my '07 GTI. Thought about putting it on my 997S, but it would probably get scraped off on a driveway or speedbump.

Here's the link: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25450

And another: http://www.formulaimage.com/products...px?prod_id=550
Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 AM
esef
Instructor

This is what I use. No need to drill holes in your Porsche. VERY sturdy and well made.
http://moweraxle.com/
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 AM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by esef
This is what I use. No need to drill holes in your Porsche. VERY sturdy and well made.
http://moweraxle.com/
Yes, this will be my next purchase.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that show and go plate holder is fantastic.....if you put it in the middle it probably won't get scraped..since the lip is lower in the corners....think I might buy this one...just to give the ....grrrrrr okay I will call them cops this time....but it is hard not to call them anything else...GRRRRRRR (see I am learning!) no reason to pull me over or ticket me......I see them looking ALL THE TIME!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

What would happen if the plate was in display for parking, in the windshield instead? Wrap the plate with a nice plate frame so it won't ding the dash up, and lay it in there. Would those idiots still ticket for that?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-18-2007, 09:27 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put the plate on less hassel and you dont need to fret. The lines of the car are beautiful even with the plate. Someone once posted a plate adaptor that fits in the tow hook bracket, you could mount there with no screwholes.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 168 Posts

Eric - I believe in California displaying the plate on the dash won't do it.
The law states the position of the plate in relation to the road, meaning it has to be mounted low, like on the bumper.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

This is a topic I am all too familiar with, have had more then one of these tickets

The front plate can be mounted at almost any height less then 60 inches from the ground, however it is this part of the code that can get you "License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle". Here is the full text of the vehicle code about it:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

I have gotten away with putting it on the dash when parked but I think those days are coming to an end since Fastrak will be using front plate cameras too and law enforcement seems to be coming down on this more and more. The law does not allow for blocking the windshield at all and I've heard putting it on the visor will reap you a ticket as well, so in the end it just makes life simpler to put the plate on. I'll be looking into a tow hook mount for sure (have one on the Mini and it works well) - anyone have a pic of the tow hook plate mount on an aero kit or GT3?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

In Boston, if you park on the street and your inspection sticker is overdue, they will ticket you for it. I also know someone who was ticketed for no front plate by a parking cop.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Streamlined
This is a topic I am all too familiar with, have had more then one of these tickets

The front plate can be mounted at almost any height less then 60 inches from the ground, however it is this part of the code that can get you "License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle". Here is the full text of the vehicle code about it:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

I have gotten away with putting it on the dash when parked but I think those days are coming to an end since Fastrak will be using front plate cameras too and law enforcement seems to be coming down on this more and more. The law does not allow for blocking the windshield at all and I've heard putting it on the visor will reap you a ticket as well, so in the end it just makes life simpler to put the plate on. I'll be looking into a tow hook mount for sure (have one on the Mini and it works well) - anyone have a pic of the tow hook plate mount on an aero kit or GT3?
I know there's probably no rational reason for all this, but why not front plate requirement on motorcycles? Seems it would be very easy to mount between the forks - maybe that's next!!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Streamlined
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I know there's probably no rational reason for all this, but why not front plate requirement on motorcycles? Seems it would be very easy to mount between the forks - maybe that's next!!
I don't know why no front plate on bikes (could be pretty tough to fit on some), but I would like to see an identifying lic plate on the back of the cyclists around here..

Quick Reply: Ticket for front license plate violation-Warning!