Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
...knowing the Sat radio for Cayenne is not a Tequipment option, only factory installed....
Are you sure about that? Somebody should tell Porsche AfterSales then:
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
harlycharly (11-07-2020)
Old 01-28-2006, 02:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Come on guys. I think this is for real.
Have fun
Old 01-28-2006, 02:32 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mjones, I do not have enough evidence to dispute your post. You may be right. But the parts manager at my dealer says you CAN retrofit the sat into the Cayenne (in this case Turbo Cayenne). I will be speaking to the tech on Monday.

If my goose chase leads to a dead end I will at least have tried. Why would PAG sell the sat kit to dealers if it is only a factory install?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

The 2006 997 has PCM 2.1

So far the momentum continues.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:45 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to La Jolla Audio yesterday and had mine done. You can ask the guy in the first post that he had to have seen my 997 in their garage.

The WORK they did was flawless. There's no visible antenna. No FM modulator. The system directly interfaces into the fiber-optics. He is now working on the getting the parts so I can add on my iPod...probably for another arm and a leg (but it's worth it if NO ONE else knows how to do it on the planet...even the "genuises" at Porsche). You get all the radio text and the ability to pre-set. At night you can even see the Sirius logo (dog) on the display. I am EXTREMELY impressed.

What pisses me off is that I had to pay $2,200.00 to have this done when I KNOW the the idiot electrical engineers at Porsche could have done for $500 or less, but they were probably taking their annual 2 month vacation in southern Spain - so they were too busy to figure it out.

My brother is a USAF officer based in Germany and he says German's give a whole new meaning to arrogance and lack of work ethic.

Sorry for the out of focus pictures, but it seems the best I could do to avoid the glare. But you see the features and the radio text also. You hit the "AM/FM" button to go to SAT and go back to AM and FM
Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

In my 3rd picture you can see the little blue Sirius Radio logo, the picture of the dog shows up right above.

The song playing is "Let's Dance" by David Bowie.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Dane k.
Instructor

Cool XM Radio

MAYBE......Germany should launch a satellite....THEN they might understand what all of this Fuss is all about...XM 60s...WOLFMAN JACK...Heee Heee
Old 01-28-2006, 03:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rjmaclean
(but it's worth it if NO ONE else knows how to do it on the planet...even the "genuises" at Porsche).
There are people on the planet who know how to do it, some on a daily basis.

( What pisses me off is that I had to pay $2,200.00 to have this done when I KNOW the the idiot electrical engineers at Porsche could have done for $500 or less, but they were probably taking their annual 2 month vacation in southern Spain - so they were too busy to figure it out.
Actually, you would be more accurate complaining about Becker, not PAG. Becker is the sole supplier of MOST headunits in Europe. Actually only one other company in the world can design a MOST headunit, and they're in Japan.
Becker is the de facto gatekeeper of everything MOST...long history behind it. PAG, due to low volumes compared to DC or Audi, can do nothing but accept whatever Becker provides. Such is the nature of the current infotainment politics in Europe right now.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:11 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Originally Posted by ltc
There are people on the planet who know how to do it, some on a daily basis.
Then who else besides La Jolla Audio?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

rjmaclean, can you post a picture of the sat unit module in your trunk. I want to see if it looks like the Cayenne unit just to confirm.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Then who else besides La Jolla Audio?
I was referring to individuals, some of who actually designed the MOST hardware in Porsches (along with other car companies like Mercedes and Audi).
Some of them are also rennlist members
Old 01-28-2006, 04:39 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

he doesn't know.

p.s. rjmaclean...ltc is da man on this fiber stuff.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 PM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some shots. One of my car and 3 of the screens in the system. For those doubters, I am not associated with La Jolla Audio. I am just the proud owner of a 2006 C4S Cab who has used them to install sat radio.

To answer a few of the question..

They told me (I didn't see them do it) That they installed it under the plastic housing that sticks out in the C4S. The antenna is under the plastic near the wipers (near the GPS antenna, I'm told). The part # was not listed on my invoice, but they listed only one part at a cost of $1599. He indicated that they buy this from Porsche (or a local dealer) and obviously, they mark it up. BTW- I called 2 local dealers before I went there and they WILL NOT install the Cayenne part in a 911 (I asked them to).

I do have the 6 disc CD changer and it still works as before. You do access the system by toggling the AM/FM key (sat is the third).

As one person commented $2,000 is ridiculous. I would agree. but so is paying $2400 for Sport Exhaust, $560 for Leather Sun Visors, $960 for Module for Telephone PCM, etc, etc (all of which i happily paid for). I guess it's all personal preference.

To those who think this is a hoax, well, I understand your doubt. I doubted it, too. But it works (at least for the last day). To those who have said they doubt it because I am a "first-time poster", I guess we're all not trusted until we've posted a few hundred times?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:09 PM
avenchia
Cruisin'

My picture did not post! I am struggling with how to get them on-line. I "downsized them and "uploaded" them in the manage attachments button. Yet they didn't appear. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:24 PM
avenchia
Cruisin'

I tried again. I hope this worked. Newbie moron.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!