Intro - New 996 TT Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Bmarti13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intro - New 996 TT Owner

Hi Everyone,

Just made the upgrade from a 997.1S to a 996 Turbo.
I did a ton of research on this forum and learned a ton before my purchase.
Picked up a 2004 Cab - black on black in Excellent condition.
I am so impressed with the performance of this car. The Turbo is so much more fun to drive than my Carrera S was. The boost is addictive!
I opted to go with the Tiptronic and very happy with the transmission.
I may choose to do some light mods to add some HP down the road, but I am still grinning from ear to ear with the stock setup, so will wait a while.
Glad to be a new owner and part of the community.

If there is anyone in the Phoenix area that is a wrench and likes to DIY on their 996TT, I would like to meet up to learn more about how to do maintenance on this car. I did my own oil changes on my 997, and some other basic stuff, but that's about it. I am looking to keep my maintenance costs as low as possible with the 996TT . I would like to replace my spark plugs soon and would love to learn how to do that. I have been looking at the DIY threads, but am hesitant to tackle a project like that by myself, without someone there that knows what they are doing.

Anyway, PM me or reply if you are in Phoenix Metro and would be willing to teach a newbie more about these supercars. I will be joining my local PCA club as well.

Thanks for all of the info guys! I am hooked on this forum, so I will be regular here.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Welcome to the club!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats!!

Regarding spark plug changes... There is a diy somewhere with step by step instructions for how to pull the rear bumper. If you want to really get used to working on this car you might as well learn how to remove it. Only takes a few minutes and if you are careful should go without a hitch.

Found it, here is the diy: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_Removal.htm
Old 01-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Congrats on the upgrade to the 996 Turbo.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats and welcome from a fellow new owner. I considered a 997 C2S before deciding on 996TT. Hope i was right. Beautiful car you got.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
vinouomo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your 996TT, you'll be happy with that choice.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 PM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats .......But I'm a little biased
Old 01-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome! I'm like you were I chose a bone stock 996TT, then started researching tunes and decided to got for UMW tune...best decision I made! Kevin is the man!! I Highly recommend you go for the data logging option as well!

Post pics!!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyT
Congrats and welcome from a fellow new owner. I considered a 997 C2S before deciding on 996TT. Hope i was right. Beautiful car you got.
So did I...esp. after reading so many 'buy the newest Porsche you can' articles.

But knowing that's it's not really possible to add significant power to a N/A 997, buying a 996 Turbo made the most sense.

A few mods and a tune later and I'm driving my dream car, a 100 octane swilling sleeper that is a blast to drive on the backroads, canyons, and freeways.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:45 PM
gophaster
Pro

This! I think many of us that have picked up 6T's within the past few years may have at least looked at 997 c2s as an option. Primarily would be yes, the idea of getting the newest Porsche allowable in your budget. After diving further into the research early on, 6T was a no brainer and I never looked back. I'm certain that I'd be kicking my self very very HARD right now with steel toe boots if I would have gone the other way.

Not because 997 c2s are not awesome cars just that a Turbo is a Turbo.

As a side note, back when I picked up my Cayenne Turbo I briefly looked at Cayenne S as well...pretty much same deal I love my CTT also and i'm glad I made that decision.

Originally Posted by Road King
So did I...esp. after reading so many 'buy the newest Porsche you can' articles.

But knowing that's it's not really possible to add significant power to a N/A 997, buying a 996 Turbo made the most sense.

A few mods and a tune later and I'm driving my dream car, a 100 octane swilling sleeper that is a blast to drive on the backroads, canyons, and freeways.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Bmarti13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Right now, am a little torn on if I want to modify or not. I really like this car because it is bone stock and it is in near perfect condition. I have always been a fan of keeping it all original, but on the other hand I am starting to get addicted to HP and torque.
Having another 80 HP (or so) and more torque would be fun. Quite a pickle. First world problems, ha ha!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM
gophaster
Pro

I bought mine totally bone stock as well which made the hunt harder as you know. Even before I bought mine, I was planning on doing quite a few mods including at least hybrid turbos if not larger + supporting mods (injectors/intercoolers/etc), but after actually driving the car I realized that stock, it would probably get me into lots of trouble! Then when I installed my H&R coilovers and really got to see how pristine she was underneath I pretty much decided to keep it as basic as I can. Basically, wheels/exhaust/suspension (don't even have a tune yet but am seriously thinking about a Cobb). I have carefully labeled/tucked away the stock parts (I have always done this for any car) just in case I ever want to go back.

I think if you keep the original bits and stick to light bolt ons you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Same here, it took a while to find an untouched tt. For me, all black cab, with really low miles was the one. With the many options available for upgrades, the number of low mileage tt's is becoming a rarity. Am now leaning towards leaving it as is, except for adding cobb tune.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by my04996tt
Same here, it took a while to find an untouched tt. For me, all black cab, with really low miles was the one. With the many options available for upgrades, the number of low mileage tt's is becoming a rarity. Am now leaning towards leaving it as is, except for adding cobb tune.
maybe an exhaust to complement the tune? I can only imagine how good it would sound with the top down!

Guarantee that the radio would not get much use!

Quick Reply: Intro - New 996 TT Owner