Buying 996 Turbo S vs 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:32 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
hes the subjective master.

then there is this chap right here. Id take his opinion on the matter over most.
Yea, that's like saying the 1970 911 is better than the 996. Some people think vinyl records are better than digital, tube amplifiers are much better than chip amps. I would also imagine there are people who would say the model T Ford is a better car than the model A ford.

This is the carburetor vs fuel injection argument , the 911 has gotten better, faster, more comfortable, and possibly more reliable with time. 996 guys really put this car on a pedestal and defend it to the end. I guess you are saying that your admired Porsche engineers didn't make a better car with the 997 or the 991?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Yea, that's like saying the 1970 911 is better than the 996. Some people think vinyl records are better than digital, tube amplifiers are much better than chip amps. I would also imagine there are people who would say the model T Ford is a better car than the model A ford.

This is the carburetor vs fuel injection argument , the 911 has gotten better, faster, more comfortable, and possibly more reliable with time. 996 guys really put this car on a pedestal and defend it to the end. I guess you are saying that your admired Porsche engineers didn't make a better car with the 997 or the 991?
Better can mean different things to different people. The 991 is a highly capable car, obviously, but it's bigger in dimensions than the 996 for example. In my book, when it comes to sports cars, big is bad, and small is good. It's got very sophisticated electronics. As far as I'm concerned, the less electronics, the better. And I could go on.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:01 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

A few weeks ago, I had the rare opportunity to drive a 993TT, my 996TT S, and then a 2011 997TT one after the other on some back roads near Ottawa.

Coming from an air-cooled background, the 993TT was magical - so characteristically classic 911, and so wicked fast when the boost came on that I think a filling came loose in my molar. The driving experience was raw. It smelled like a 911 should, and the doors make the iconic "click", which I actually really miss.

My 2005 TT S in comparison is far more gentle when the power rolls on compared to the 993TT. There is a heightened level of sophistication across the entire car, which can be comforting knowing that maybe this marque is a little less of a widow-maker? The 996 S "whoosh" feeling is exhilarating as we can all attest, but the true, raw sports car feel seemed to be missing something compared to the 993TT.

The 997.2TT - a serious rocket ship. It blasted off in all gears, the short shift was awesome, but the technology and creature comfort robbed too much of the experience that I look for in a 911.

I've always been a weekend 911 driver with occasional DEs, so my expectations and the experience I am after during those times are unique. While I loved the 993TT, I'd be too scared to eff it up considering it's now a $200k + car. The 997 was too tame for me. The 996 S is just right, in that it's a very balanced car, and has maintained driving characteristics that are consistent with my last 3 air-cooled beasts.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:32 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

These examples are all valid subjective opinions, and also evidence as to why debates about which things are "better" aren't particularly sophisticated discussions.

It's funny to me that a Porsche enthusiast wouldn't appreciate such vintage things.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:26 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

All I know is that I took my 996TT to the Audi Club track event at Sears Point this weekend to watch a friend track his 997. I wasn't parked for 5 minutes before some Audi Quattro Club dude was snapping pictures of her. Even though my boss' 2014 R8 V10 Spyder was right behind me.

Quite frankly I find this entire thread to be entertaining and annoying. You either LOVE the 996tt or you don't. It's simple, really.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Much more than subjective D*ck, since I own and drive both a 2004 turbo and 2007 turbo. Do you own a 997 turbo? Then your response is definately subjective, and the usual foolish response from you.

Since I drive both cars on a daily basis, mixed in with 15 other cars, I can tell you the 997 interior is much better than the 996. The car is nicer all around, wider, better looking, better steering, more comfortable.

15 other cars? Maybe drive them more because you seem like the kind of douche that most of us rather not have in the Porsche Community.

-Your Pal
Fishey
Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts

I love my 04 TT cab, but I wouldn't choose the modified 05 in this case over the 997. For me all the mods detract from the car and give me the impression it was likely driven harder than I would like. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my SUBJECTIVE opinion.

You really can't go wrong, but based on your description of yourself, it seems like the 997 would be a better fit. That, or keep looking for a more stock 996 - there is no shortage to pick from. I think stock, well maintained 05 Turbo S cars will appreciate more than most other 996 years.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the deal with the hostility towards different opinions? I prefer the 996 over the 997 but may pick one up just for the sake of something different. I have never owned a 997t but did drive a few and found it too refined for my taste while the 996t was a little old school and felt right. I too have a few cars and most are in storage due to lack/lost interest so I'm taking my time looking. The 996t is a fantastic car as I'm sure is the 997t= cant go wrong with any 911 in my book.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by peritus
A few weeks ago, I had the rare opportunity to drive a 993TT, my 996TT S, and then a 2011 997TT one after the other on some back roads near Ottawa.

Coming from an air-cooled background, the 993TT was magical - so characteristically classic 911, and so wicked fast when the boost came on that I think a filling came loose in my molar. The driving experience was raw. It smelled like a 911 should, and the doors make the iconic "click", which I actually really miss.

My 2005 TT S in comparison is far more gentle when the power rolls on compared to the 993TT. There is a heightened level of sophistication across the entire car, which can be comforting knowing that maybe this marque is a little less of a widow-maker? The 996 S "whoosh" feeling is exhilarating as we can all attest, but the true, raw sports car feel seemed to be missing something compared to the 993TT.

The 997.2TT - a serious rocket ship. It blasted off in all gears, the short shift was awesome, but the technology and creature comfort robbed too much of the experience that I look for in a 911.

I've always been a weekend 911 driver with occasional DEs, so my expectations and the experience I am after during those times are unique. While I loved the 993TT, I'd be too scared to eff it up considering it's now a $200k + car. The 997 was too tame for me. The 996 S is just right, in that it's a very balanced car, and has maintained driving characteristics that are consistent with my last 3 air-cooled beasts.
A tuned 996turbo is faster and feels it compared to the same type of tune on a 993 turbo. Sure you can go crazy with either platform, but the 6 is an improvement over the 3 in terms of performance. And you can get the 6 tofeel pretty raw and even stinky if you want.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Since owning and modding a 996t to exemplify the raw and power aspects, next logical step seems like a 991t.
Edgy one for the track; cooled seats, blue tooth, etc, in a luxury rocket for the rest of the time.
Maybe I'm missing something in the 7.2t, but I haven't driven either of them yet.
Just seems that often cars for a frequent driver are better newer with less mods, ones for the weekend and track might as well be edgy.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:27 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
A tuned 996turbo is faster and feels it compared to the same type of tune on a 993 turbo. Sure you can go crazy with either platform, but the 6 is an improvement over the 3 in terms of performance. And you can get the 6 to feel pretty raw and even stinky if you want.
Although I don't have much seat time in aircooleds, isn't safe to assume that Porsche designed the first water cooled turbo to be better than it's predecessor in every performance and luxury category? Ok, maybe looks aside because I still remember the first time I saw a '97 Turbo S on the freeway and I was amazed. Such a beautiful car.

I love the 996 Turbo platform, and I get compliments all the time on the car. And then I take friends and co-workers for a spin....forgetaboutit. They are blown away by the performance.

I haven't driven an 997.1 turbo yet, but a friend has one (Kline exhaust, no tune) and I'm looking forward to some seat time in SoCal next month so that I may form my own opinion. Not that it matters, I love my car and I've no plans to try something different any time soon.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Ginger or Mary Anne?

I would say the 997 is better suited to what you are looking for.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:35 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
A tuned 996turbo is faster and feels it compared to the same type of tune on a 993 turbo. Sure you can go crazy with either platform, but the 6 is an improvement over the 3 in terms of performance. And you can get the 6 tofeel pretty raw and even stinky if you want.
Coincidentally, it was your old 993tt. Sick car and a great setup. You are right tho. Can't compare as my car is stock, with monster truck ride height and oem exhaust note.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
15 other cars? Maybe drive them more because you seem like the kind of douche that most of us rather not have in the Porsche Community.

-Your Pal
Fishey
I believe the douchery starts with people like yourself that love your car. To me it's just a car, that's it and between the two the 997 is the better car. I don't consider myself a Porsche guy (thankfully) just a car guy, it's just a piece of metal that drives down the road to me. Apparently to you it means much more, and that is concerning.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the douchery starts with people like yourself that love your car. To me it's just a car, that's it and between the two the 997 is the better car. I don't consider myself a Porsche guy (thankfully) just a car guy, it's just a piece of metal that drives down the road to me. Apparently to you it means much more, and that is concerning.
I am just a Gearhead who happens to have a very good understanding of both cars. I actually agree the 997.1TT is the better car but I don't think its as clear cut as your earlier Hulkamania styled outburst would suggest. I think your insinuation on car love is a bit much but I do have a passion for cars which is why I spend my free time posting in a Porsche forum with other Porsche enthusiast.

-Your Pal
Fishey

Quick Reply: Buying 996 Turbo S vs 997 turbo