Sponsored by:

Need a little advice before buying 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little advice before buying 996tt

Alright guys I'm just about ready to finally make my dream a reality and buy a 996tt but would like some input from the experts.

I have been looking for quite a long time to find a car that meets my standards and have come across a 100% stock, 2 owner 2001 996tt arctic silver on black with complete records from day 1 and 85,000 miles on the clock.

It recently had a full engine out service for clutch, flywheel, slave, accumulator and coolant pipes. Car is extremely clean and would easily be mistaken for a car with less than half that mileage.

My main concerns are:

-Mileage
-The non Bose stereo
-The fact that it's a 2001 potentially hurting resale

What do you guys think a fair price for this car would be?

Do you think it will depreciate at a faster rate due to the mileage and the fact that it is a 2001?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike72
Alright guys I'm just about ready to finally make my dream a reality and buy a 996tt but would like some input from the experts.

I have been looking for quite a long time to find a car that meets my standards and have come across a 100% stock, 2 owner 2001 996tt arctic silver on black with complete records from day 1 and 85,000 miles on the clock.

It recently had a full engine out service for clutch, flywheel, slave, accumulator and coolant pipes. Car is extremely clean and would easily be mistaken for a car with less than half that mileage.

My main concerns are:

-Mileage
-The non Bose stereo
-The fact that it's a 2001 potentially hurting resale

What do you guys think a fair price for this car would be?

Do you think it will depreciate at a faster rate due to the mileage and the fact that it is a 2001?
Imho it's the opposite of what you say. A 15k mile car that is driven another 30k miles will depreciate more than a 85k going to 115k.

And imo, 2001 same thing, if it were between two time capsules, some people might pay more for a later year. On a car going 100k miles, not a factor.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,443 Posts

What is the build date of the car? There is a sticker on the driver's door with month and year. The reason I ask is because some late MY 2001 Turbos got the 996.2 chassis stiffening. So if this car is a late build there will be no extra depreciation because it is an 2001.

I do not think the lack of a Bose stereo means much.

As for the mileage 81k is not all that much. Condition and color means more. What are your usage plans for the car?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
What is the build date of the car? There is a sticker on the driver's door with month and year. The reason I ask is because some late MY 2001 Turbos got the 996.2 chassis stiffening. So if this car is a late build there will be no extra depreciation because it is an 2001.

I do not think the lack of a Bose stereo means much.

As for the mileage 81k is not all that much. Condition and color means more. What are your usage plans for the car?
I was under the impression that the chassis stiffening that went on between 01 and 02 was no applicable on the turbo.

As for my plans for the car. It will be a sunny day weekend car not likely to see more than a few 1000 km per year.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Around $40k for that car. Really depends on overall appearance and location. Get a PPI done even though it just had all that work. Is it a TIP? If so it will be the lower end of the range.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Around $40k for that car. Really depends on overall appearance and location. Get a PPI done even though it just had all that work. Is it a TIP? If so it will be the lower end of the range.
Car is a 6 spd and is being sold in the same city it was originally purchased in. Canadian car.

Car is extremely clean and has every single document since new, including the receipt for that deposit that the original owner of the car made.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

The fact that it has a full/complete service history is important. If it has been regularly maintained (spark plugs, oil & filter changes, brakes, etc.) throughout that period, in addition to the recent "engine out" work, it should be in good/great shape.

Get a PPI done anyway, including a readout of Type I & II over-revs, and you should have all you need to negotiate a deal, all other things (color & interior are what you want) being equal. If the paint and interior are in good shape, even better.

Mileage at 85K shouldn't be an issue. Whatever depreciation has already happened for the most part. Higher mileage won't take the resale value down much more either, and production year won't matter much in the long run.

$38k-$40K is about right for the price; less if there are issues with the body, paint & interior.

The recent engine-out work covered a lot of known common issues. Other items to be aware of at that mileage are: power steering check valve (reservoir), CV boots, Cam Solenoid Bracket, front lower control arms, spoiler rams, second gear pop-out, expansion tank, headlight switch, coil packs, and sometimes the fuel pump, wheel bearings and water pump.

None of those (with the exception of second gear pop-out) should interfere with making a decision to buy at the right price.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdkelly1
The fact that it has a full/complete service history is important. If it has been regularly maintained (spark plugs, oil & filter changes, brakes, etc.) throughout that period, in addition to the recent "engine out" work, it should be in good/great shape.

Get a PPI done anyway, including a readout of Type I & II over-revs, and you should have all you need to negotiate a deal, all other things (color & interior are what you want) being equal. If the paint and interior are in good shape, even better.

Mileage at 85K shouldn't be an issue. Whatever depreciation has already happened for the most part. Higher mileage won't take the resale value down much more either, and production year won't matter much in the long run.

$38k-$40K is about right for the price; less if there are issues with the body, paint & interior.

The recent engine-out work covered a lot of known common issues. Other items to be aware of at that mileage are: power steering check valve (reservoir), CV boots, Cam Solenoid Bracket, front lower control arms, spoiler rams, second gear pop-out, expansion tank, headlight switch, coil packs, and sometimes the fuel pump, wheel bearings and water pump.

None of those (with the exception of second gear pop-out) should interfere with making a decision to buy at the right price.
As far as the second gear pop out issue, the current owner had talked to the original owner about this issue and he says it had never happened. Current owner says he has never had it happen, and it didn't happen on the test drive.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:32 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

With records of only 2 previous owners and the recent full service addressing several common needs, I'd be happy with anything around $45k if you like the car. Remember that these are getting more difficult to find in great condition with up to date service and records. The clutch, slave and pipes would cost $5-10k if you take it in and a shop does it with new hoses, water pump, belt, motor mounts, trans mount, and the often associated "while it's out" parts. The services performed would give me some comfort that my future spending has been mitigated. Get a PPI from a knowledgeable, unbiased shop where you can look underneath closely. I'd offer to drop the transmission fluid and refill during the PPI to see what is on the magnetic plug. Search my posts under transmission rebuild if you want near worst case scenario in future spending.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any car with over 100k has a limited sale appeal to the larger majority, I own cars with over 100k and it doesn't matter to me personally but I don't kid myself either. I do realize it has 85k but your close to the 100k mark. Keep looking for a lower mile car with good records unless you plan on keeping it long term= cheaper in the long run. Just another opinion from a guy with 40 years in the car game.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:01 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

With 85,000 miles, I would say $35k on the price. I don't think that you will ever see any depreciation based on the mileage you are planning to put on it - these cars have stopped depreciating and will start appreciating soon ( some say that appreciation has already started).
Non-stock radio is a minor issue. Same with 2001 vs 2002 to 2004. Basically the same car (glove box is the major issue and you will never miss it due to door pockets). I think the market values the 2001 as being essentially the same car.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I second $35k, $37.5k max if you really like it I suppose. I have seen plenty of cars with half the mileage and good condition for around 40k.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Mike72
Instructor

The real appeal to this car is the complete service history and immaculate physical condition of the car. The problem is that here in Canada there aren't nearly as many options and with the difference in our dollar plus the import costs it makes buying from the US a much more expensive option. Car is priced at 50k firm so about 38.5 USD.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

85k miles or km?

I bet that that proves to be an awesome car. Fair price in my mind.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike72
I was under the impression that the chassis stiffening that went on between 01 and 02 was no applicable on the turbo.

As for my plans for the car. It will be a sunny day weekend car not likely to see more than a few 1000 km per year.
There was stiffening added to the Turbo chassis for MY 2002. But as I was saying check the build date on the door sticker. If the car was built after April 2001 it most likely has the stiffer 996.2 chassis. I can tell you were to look on the car to see the stiffening if you want to double check.

In reading the other posts this sounds like a well maintained car at a good price. Given how little mileage you plan to put on it the car will probably not lose any value over time.

What color is the interior/exterior?

Quick Reply: Need a little advice before buying 996tt