Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default ***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996 Turbo

SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit by FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

***GROUP BUY***
SHIFT-RIGHT Retrofit Kit regular price of $295 will be reduced to $265
SHIFT-RIGHT Core Exchange regular price of $349 will be reduced to $319

I was recently contacted by a customer about arranging a Group Buy for our SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit Upgrade, compatible with the 986/996/987/997 models. I’m opening this deal up to the Rennlist community, so please take advantage of the savings!

Once at least 5 people commit, the lower price will take effect and invoices will be emailed out. Following that, as people sign-up they’ll receive an invoice at the discounted rate immediately. There is no limit to the number sold. The Group Buy rate will expire August 12, so please reach out before then via email or PM.

Please be sure to include the following info:
1. Your name
2. Email address
3. Mailing address
4. Shifter unit model
5. Retrofit Kit or Core Exchange

Here is the link to the product page that outlines all the details of the kit, as well as installation instructions:
http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution

Please reach out with any questions. I'll be updating the buyer list at the bottom as people sign up.

***PLEASE NOTE***
South Carolina customers will be subject to sales tax.
There is a limited number of Core Exchange units in stock at any moment, so please plan accordingly - I will reach out with an estimated ship date.
Group Buy pricing is exclusive of S/H and Core Deposit fees.

Group Buy Participants

1. CarreraGuy02
2. bugeyemilo
3. Karnuts
4. The Ox
5. MaddMike
-----------------------------------------------------------------
6. MC968CS
7. modoz61
8. -
9. JEI-Porsche
10. the_buch
11. BauerR
12. -
13. Gear Rower
14. Nedster
15. Hilltopper
16. heliflyer
17. Hula
18. Long Islander1
19. kk2

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 01-09-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Educate me a bit here. As I understand it, this is not a shorter throw or "short-shift" kit as it were. Rather a means to take out the sloppy feel of the current engagement .
Im interested, but im also interested in a shorter throw. Will i still be able to purchase an aftermarket shift kit with your setup?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BauerR
Educate me a bit here. As I understand it, this is not a shorter throw or "short-shift" kit as it were. Rather a means to take out the sloppy feel of the current engagement .
Im interested, but im also interested in a shorter throw. Will i still be able to purchase an aftermarket shift kit with your setup?

You're correct - this kit is designed to tighten up the entire shifter unit, and it has no impact on the shifter throw length. It is compatible with all OEM shifters and with the following aftermarket short shift kits:
B&M
Ralco RZ
Schnell
EVOMS

(It may fit the knock-off SSKs available on Ebay depending on your luck, since the tolerances of those kits are all over the place. Specifically the ball-end of the SSK shifter is not perfectly spherical and may bind in the SHIFT-RIGHT shifter yoke. You would likely have to sand the SSK ball-end smooth to ensure proper operation.)

And here's a detailed FAQ that will help answer some questions I've received about the SHIFT-RIGHT upgrade...

SHIFT-RIGHT Solution - FAQ

Q: Is this the best shifter upgrade value for my Porsche?
A: YES! No other shifter upgrade on the market matches the performance and durability of the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution for under $300. You will completely transform your shifter’s feel and accuracy, resulting in fewer missed shifts, smoother and more direct operation, and zero flex or play from the shifter.

Q: Is the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution a short shift kit?
A: No, the kit utilizes your original shift lever, so the shift throw remains unchanged.

Q: I like the kit, but I’m a little intimidated about installing it myself. What can you do for me?
A: We just rolled out a core-exchange program for 986/996 and 987/997 standard throw shifters! For an additional fee, you’ll receive an OEM shifter with the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution pre-installed that makes install plug and play – just send back your original shifter within 2 weeks of receipt to receive your core deposit refund. And best of all, a return shipping label is included to make the process that much easier! (USA customers only)

Q: What have other owners been saying about the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution?
A: Here are some owner reviews, in their own words…

CS-ICEMAN:
I took mine to COTA a couple weekends ago. Worked wonders. No trouble finding the gears. Yes, downshifting to 2nd was easy. No longer a concern about a misshift. I did not have to think about shifting. My hands were moving faster than my feet. I was shifting as fast as I could press the clutch.

intubator:
I have to say it made a significant difference in positive gear selection and smoothness in shifting between gears over what I had. In fact, I didn't realize the degree of drag I had become used to until I installed this kit with the roller bearings. The F1st bearing yoke is much better than the cheap plastic factory part and adds significantly to the smoothness and accuracy in the left/right gear selection movements, looks better too... I don't have the console on my car so everything is visible along the tunnel. I have been very happy with this upgrade and have done several track days with a greater degree of confidence while shifting between gears. I couldn't be happier.

husker boxster:
I'm happy to report the 5-4-3-2 downshift for T12 at COTA went very well. Happy with the solid feel and lack of sloppiness.

BillZ260:
Highly recommend, whether you have a stock shifter or a short shift kit, it removed all the slop in the pivots and transfer mechanisms. I think it actually helps the 2-3 shift smoothness as well where it used to hang up if you tried to force it too quickly before, maybe since there is ZERO play now, it's just straight shooting. Very satisfied.

eracer:
Just vouching for the product. I installed the Function First "Shift-Right Solution" Ball bearing kit in my 996T and was impressed with the product. It was installed in conjunction with the factory short shifter replacing the plastic bearings. The 'play'/'slop' in the shifter was reduced drastically and the shifting feels more tactile and precise. No more accidental shifting into the other gears. I'd definitely recommend this product to upgrade the driving experience. (Porsche should have designed it this way to begin with.)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I am having difficulty installing mine. I have an 02 turbo with full carbon fiber package including the shifter. When I attempt to lift the shifter it does not move. It feels like there is bolt on the front holding it on. should I lift the shifter boot to see what is going on? to lift the boot, do I push the (silver trim around the boot) inwards to release the clips, while lifting?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For the OEM weighted ***** (such as your carbon fiber ****), you'll have to pop the shift boot off the center console first in order to access the set screw at the front of the shift ****. Once you loosen that set screw, you can remove the **** and boot.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I did it. There were a few things different (like a wire on the front of the center console as an extra secure) but I got it done. It feels good but I won't have a chance to drive it for a few hours and will report back my opinion.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I took it out for a test drive and it is much more precise for sure. I like it. Much better than the loose feeling the stock one had. Funny thing is on the street normal driving the stock one is fine. But get on the track or on a mountain road in Pennsylvania and it was sloppy and caused me to put it in neutral a few times as it didn;t find the gear easily. Anyway the install took longer than I expected, about an hour and I just did the swap but it was well worth it.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great review!!! Thanks for the update

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I took it out for a test drive and it is much more precise for sure. I like it. Much better than the loose feeling the stock one had. Funny thing is on the street normal driving the stock one is fine. But get on the track or on a mountain road in Pennsylvania and it was sloppy and caused me to put it in neutral a few times as it didn;t find the gear easily. Anyway the install took longer than I expected, about an hour and I just did the swap but it was well worth it.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

UPDATE:

The 996 Core Exchange units are back in stock!

Reduced group pricing on them is $319
+ $15.50 S/H both ways

Please PM or email to participate in the Group Buy.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Special Group Buy pricing ends Aug 11
Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

My old shifter was in fantastic shape with nearly no wear on any of the plastic parts. It performed as it should from the factory. With that...HOLY CRAP!
The difference is downright silly. The engagement of the gears are precise and rifle-like. The throw is substantially reduced with the 997 SSK.
This is the way the car should have been from the factory!
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have Cup Cables and a 997 GT3 shifter that is great.
Any feedback from someone who has done this mod to a factory GT3 shifter?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BauerR
My old shifter was in fantastic shape with nearly no wear on any of the plastic parts. It performed as it should from the factory. With that...HOLY CRAP!
The difference is downright silly. The engagement of the gears are precise and rifle-like. The throw is substantially reduced with the 997 SSK.
This is the way the car should have been from the factory!
That's great to hear! Very happy to have the opportunity to make such a positive impact on your driving experience!

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I have Cup Cables and a 997 GT3 shifter that is great.
Any feedback from someone who has done this mod to a factory GT3 shifter?
A bunch of 997 GT3 owners have upgraded to the SHIFT-RIGHT, so it may prove helpful to poll them. I have a similar thread here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...7-gt2-3-a.html

Also, regarding the 997 GT3 shifters, it's been a point of confusion for some folks...
The 997 shifter uses components that are identical to the 996 shifter, but with a 15% shifter throw reduction.
The 997.1 GT3 shifter is no different than the standard 997 shifter that comes on the Boxster/Cayman and Carrera models.
The 997.2 GT3 shifter is the one with the aluminum fore/aft bushings.

The SHIFT-RIGHT will improve upon both units, since it replaces more moving parts with aluminum components, as well as the added benefit of the ball bearings which will ensure zero play and improved optimal operating reliability. But, of course, the improvement is more apparent when upgrading the standard 997 shifter vs the 997.2 GT3 shifter.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine, awesome kit.

Billet machined parts will ALWAYS be superior to plastic pieces
Old 08-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

only 5 units left in stock...

Quick Reply: ***GROUP BUY*** SHIFT-RIGHT Solution: Ball Bearing Shifter Kit for your 996 Turbo