Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help - Oil Leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by Montescew; 07-27-2016 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

To determine what is wrong with the KKK turbochargers, you need to separate a few issues..

Porsche made a "in print" mistake for the oring/gasket between the turbocharger and sump tank. The incorrect part shows up as a aluminum sealing ring. When infact you need the black Viton oring that is used on the 993TT.. If you have the aluminum sealing ring, you will have issues.

The next area is the oil check valve that is located on the top of the bearing housing. There is a copper sealing ring that gets reused and will fail. Also, folks have reused the check valves/ you will get a failure with the two piece check valve is re-used> basically when removing the assy rotates and loosens up. When tightened you cut the internal oring. A slow leak will appear.. The inlet supply lines are getting corroded and will leak at the check valve (compression fitting)

To check the condition of your turbochargers, pull the pressure hose off the turbocharger to intercooler. If you have oil pouring out, you need a new turbo/rebuilt turbo. If the hose is really oily I'd pull the plastic inlet piping to the cold inlet side of the turbocharger compressor housing and inspect for oil AND examine the compressor wheel for damage and color. If it's dark brown vs light grey, you have an oil/turbocharger sealing ring failure.

I have written a few threads on the top of the 993TT forum. Some good information on the Chronic smoke/oil leakers..
Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Wow! Thanks Kevin, I really appreciate your detailed and almost immediate response back!! I will definitely have these areas checked out, if you do not mind me asking which of these items you listed is generally the culprit part or area that should be looked at first?

Thanks again!!!

-Rob
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

The first thing that I would do is grab a 7mm socket and undo the hose clamp on the pressure hose. Disconnect the black pressure hose from the turbocharger. Check to see if any oil pours out of the hose/intercooler. 5 to 10 minute job with 20 minutes cleaning up the oil on the floor if you don't put cardboard down..

However, the second issue might be the oil supply line or check valve/copper sealing ring..
Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Okay Kevin, I will do this over the weekend. I believe the mechanic is wrong about my turbo on that side going bad or I hope this is not the case!

I really appreciate your responses, it means a lot!!

-Rob
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks like the driver's side turbo on my car has this leak, though fortunately it is not nearly as bad as your car's leak.

The tech and I see just a bit of oil behind the collector tank around the bolt behind the tank. (I have pics and will post later when I'm home.)

Not enough of a leak to rinse away the grit/grime the oil attracts and holds.

Tech said the intercoolers were free of any oil and the turbo seals appear to be good. He is going to look at what it takes to address this leak but for now the area is just going to get cleaned and we will keep any eye on it.

Oh, car is in being fitted with new plugs/coils and getting its 140K mile oil/filter service.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Here's a pic of my Turbo's leak area...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Good news! The leak has stopped or this appears to be the case, I am almost certain that it was leaking from the top of the pipe without a clamp above the turbo. I find it very odd that it has only ever leaked after an oil change two times now. My car has received four oil changes in my ownership, the two times it did not leak is when I had it serviced at Porsche in Tyson's. I do remember the first time it happened the car was overfilled which required draining the excess oil. This time I took it to a totally different indy shop that is highly regarded in Northern VA. The mechanic changed the oil, I then watched him pull it out of the bay and drive it for about 2-3 miles. He then came back and put it back up on the lift to check the oil level. I'm thinking there might have been residual oil running through it this time too and he drained it when it was on the lift after the test drive.

Can the extra oil running through the system cause more pressure that could cause the pipe to come loose? He did tighten it when I took it back yesterday after noticing the leak. The car gets what it needs, I just think the turbo is not the culprit part. I plan to take it on a spirited drive tomorrow to make sure the leak has stopped.

Thanks!

Last edited by Montescew; 02-05-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe there was a little spillage. That happened to a friend on his dealer serviced 991Turbo S. Kind of freaked everyone out until we figured it out.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Thanks Thomas, I appreciate your reassuring feedback! The car will receive a thorough inspection if I notice another drip of oil from that area. In the past I would take my car to a well versed tech at Porsche of Tyson's, its unfortunate that he no longer works there.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Montescew; 02-06-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:05 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Montescew
Good news! The leak has stopped or this appears to be the case, I am almost certain that it was leaking from the top of the pipe without a clamp above the turbo. I find it very odd that it has only ever leaked after an oil change two times now. My car has received four oil changes in my ownership, the two times it did not leak is when I had it serviced at Porsche in Tyson's. I do remember the first time it happened the car was overfilled which required draining the excess oil. This time I took it to a totally different indy shop that is highly regarded in Northern VA. The mechanic changed the oil, I then watched him pull it out of the bay and drive it for about 2-3 miles. He then came back and put it back up on the lift to check the oil level. I'm thinking there might have been residual oil running through it this time too and he drained it when it was on the lift after the test drive.

Can the extra oil running through the system cause more pressure that could cause the pipe to come loose? He did tighten it when I took it back yesterday after noticing the leak. The car gets what it needs, I just think the turbo is not the culprit part. I plan to take it on a spirited drive tomorrow to make sure the leak has stopped.

Thanks!
Highly regarded indy shop that the tech has to drive the car a couple of miles to then check if he put in enough oil?

The oil level is checked before the car is driven, although the engine has to be up to temp. But it should be up to temp as the oil is drained then when refilled either the tech reads out the amount of oil he added from the read out on the dispensing gun or he counts the empty bottles and does the math.

Because the engine was hot when the oil was drained it takes very little run time after the fresh oil is put in to have the fresh oil hot enough the level can be checked.

Anyhow, I hope the oil leak proves to be just spillage. If it is just another reason to perhaps find another place to take your Turbo for servicing in the future.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Montescew
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
Highly regarded indy shop that the tech has to drive the car a couple of miles to then check if he put in enough oil?

The oil level is checked before the car is driven, although the engine has to be up to temp. But it should be up to temp as the oil is drained then when refilled either the tech reads out the amount of oil he added from the read out on the dispensing gun or he counts the empty bottles and does the math.

Because the engine was hot when the oil was drained it takes very little run time after the fresh oil is put in to have the fresh oil hot enough the level can be checked.

Anyhow, I hope the oil leak proves to be just spillage. If it is just another reason to perhaps find another place to take your Turbo for servicing in the future.
They are without a doubt highly regarded on most European cars, lets be honest there is more of a process to changing the oil on our car. Based off your statement this particular mechanic is not up to par with the guy that previously worked on my car, I knew this was true after speaking to him for the first time after the oil change. i prefer to fix things with my own hands, but would only feel comfortable performing an oil change on the car if I had a lift in my garage which is not the case. I get where you're coming from, I hope to find someone like the last tech that worked on my car.

Thanks for your positive comment!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can do the oil change easily without lift, mine is stock height and I change oil without any raising.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you checked the oil level yourself?

Yeah, the car does not need to be on a lift to change the oil.

I would call the shop and ask the tech how many drainage points he used.

It will either be 4, 2 or 1. If it's 1 there's a problem. It's probably going to be 2 and if he just added the recommended amount he will have overfilled the car (because the turbos weren't drained).
Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

these cars are very simple to change the oil.
regarding spillage, it is unlikely that it is from spillage as the fill is on the passenger side of the car, unless it was from the filter (driver side).
I assume driver's side is left side and you are not in England or another country that drives n the left.

Quick Reply: Please help - Oil Leak :(