Best 996 Turbo Exhaust Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:29 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

From my experience, a "catless" exhaust (as the owner has) sounds raw, aggressive and raspy vs. a catted system, which will provide a more "refined" sound. The addition/deletion of catalytic converters will substantially change the sound level and tonal qualities of an exhaust, all other parameters remaining equal. It all comes down to which you prefer.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 05-14-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
That exhaust sounds "raw"?

I'm not a fan of a raw sounding exhaust.

yrmv
It's not for everybody, but yes the catless gives it a very "raw" sound from the motor/turbos. It's quite magnificent in person.

Originally Posted by John D II
From my experience, a "catless" exhaust (as the owner has) sounds raw, aggressive and raspy vs. a catted system, which will provide a more "refined" sound. The addition/deletion of catalytic converters will substantially change the sound level and tonal qualities of an exhaust, all other parameters remaining equal. It all comes down to which you prefer.
Well put John.

This is why I love RL, we have sponsors that can stay very level headed with their community even while trying to conduct buisness with potential customers.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i found there to be very little difference in the sound at idle btw catted vs catless. it's when one is on the pipe that the vastly improved performance and sound is both felt and heard.

a kilne 2.5 stainless w/out cats is not "raspy" in the least. though talking about sounds is by definition difficult as it's as subjective and subject to each individuals threshold for subtle changes that are,.. well, subtle lol as anything CAN be.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:49 PM
Tirebiter
Track Day

I can't help myself, I love the sound of the Tubi...and no drone.

https://vimeo.com/121699629
Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Thanks nothing annoying, will put the AWE on my list!
AWE also do quality work from what I have seen from various other cars with their exhausts... their 650S is an epic exhaust both noise and performance wise
Old 05-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tirebiter

is it "that" good? is that an ad? Do you work for Tubi?

If not you should be on their payroll b/c that cinematography is outstanding......you have a gift
Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

But how does it sound from the driver's seat (I don't listen to my exhaust while hanging out next to the exhaust tip)?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Tirebiter
Track Day

Thanks for the compliments! It is my own handiwork and have no affiliation with either Tubi or Champion....

There is something about the "standard" rear end shot of a stationary vehicle reving endlessly that really doesn't convey the aural sense of the exhaust. Why go in half a$$ed?? I had fun making it but am sure that there were some neighbors who were wondering why I kept charging up and down the same road.

I have an AWE that gave better power but didn't sound as good as the Tubi. I will likely put it up for sale at some point.

Brock
Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
But how does it sound from the driver's seat (I don't listen to my exhaust while hanging out next to the exhaust tip)?
+1. I keep seeing all these videos of passes from the outside, but what does it sound like from the inside? That's where the drone will soak into your brain when driving on the highway @ 75mph for an hour non-stop.

Dan
Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Tirebiter
Track Day

Dock, it is relatively quiet, so much so that I tend to drive with the windows open to be able to hear the full fury. With the windows closed, it is subdued but is a couple of notches above stock. And I do know drone, the AWE had it in the range of 3-3.5k ...not horrible, but enough to effect conversation. Power was better with AWE however. I hit 1.1-1.2 bar regularly with it while the Tubi is down in the range of 0.9-1.1. Both units drastically reduced turbo lag with no other mods.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dock, it is relatively quiet, so much so that I tend to drive with the windows open to be able to hear the full fury. With the windows closed, it is subdued but is a couple of notches above stock. And I do know drone, the AWE had it in the range of 3-3.5k ...not horrible, but enough to effect conversation. Power was better with AWE however. I hit 1.1-1.2 bar regularly with it while the Tubi is down in the range of 0.9-1.1. Both units drastically reduced turbo lag with no other mods.
Thanks for the info.

What I think would really be beneficial for people trying to decide on what exhaust to buy is a nice video that comes as close as possible to conveying the exhaust sound heard in the cockpit at different RPM. The camera next to the exhaust tip and drive-by sound tracks on video are probably more important for those who are interested in what others outside the car may think about the sound. I'm sure there are some of those here who are concerned with this sound, but I'm thinking there are lots here who what to know what the operational sounds are from the driver's and passenger's seat.

You've got camera talent, and while that was a nice video (lots of nice views of the Colorado countryside), I kept thinking "When is he going to move the camera inside the car?".
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

P.S.

Tirebiter - nice detector placement (avatar picture). I do the same.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
Everyone should ask if the exhaust systems have Genuine German HJS 130 mm plus cat cartridges (standard 200 cell or 100 cell options)..

Best system Ultimate Motorwerks exhaust..

And if you want another recommendation>> Europipe...
Kevin knows his stuff and can provide the whole package to weaponise your car.

Another with the metal HJS cats is the 70mm REMUS that I run with Kevin's tune. Great power and awesomely deep mellow bass but you will want to lift the rear trim and apply some sund damping Dynamat (just half a door kit is plenty) to the centers of the big firewall and parcel shelf panels to tune out the 2000-2200rpm drone on a 996T. The Dynamat sorts that nicely and leaves a great sounding 98dB exhaust rumble down low that still screams at high revs too. REMUS provided the exhausts for the Dauer 962 so have history with Porsche. No tunnel is ever safe!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Kevin knows his stuff and can provide the whole package to weaponise your car.

Another with the metal HJS cats is the 70mm REMUS that I run with Kevin's tune. Great power and awesomely deep mellow bass but you will want to lift the rear trim and apply some sund damping Dynamat (just half a door kit is plenty) to the centers of the big firewall and parcel shelf panels to tune out the 2000-2200rpm drone on a 996T. The Dynamat sorts that nicely and leaves a great sounding 98dB exhaust rumble down low that still screams at high revs too. REMUS provided the exhausts for the Dauer 962 so have history with Porsche. No tunnel is ever safe!
That Dynamat mat sounds promising.
Haven't heard that suggestion before.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by uschoice
That Dynamat mat sounds promising.
Haven't heard that suggestion before.
Worked a treat. Felt odd to be placing some weight into the car that high up but there was no way I could use the car for family runs without it, and even the drive to work was a chore with that nauseating cruising speed drone.

Dynamat works by mass damping, rather than by acoustic isolation, so you only need to concentrate it in the middle of the big resonant firewall and parcel shelf panels rather than trying to swathe the whole area in lots of it to 'block' sound. Think of it as putting a dive weight on the middle of a drum skin to dull out the drum by stopping it resonating, as opposed to smothering it under a duvet.

Less than ten pounds of the stuff was needed, with about 3 tapered layers in the middle of those panels and one over the top to smooth and tidy things. I also put a little bit on the tray that covers the ECU but it probably wasn't needed.

The REMUS always sounded great from the outside (some pit crews wondered if it was naturally aspirated) but needed that bit of help to sound good from the inside.

Quick Reply: Best 996 Turbo Exhaust Opinions?