Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Significant other and your turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Significant other and your turbo...

normal conversation

Me: I'm gonna go for a drive, do you need anything while I'm out?

Wife: why are you just going to drive that's stupid

Me: (your an idiot because it's an effing turbo and it rocks). Yeah I'll just cut coupons instead

Marriage should be called fun sucking. Oh you just got fun sucked congrats.

Curious to how the old hats finally won over their wife (s) and secured a second an even third car. I'm like 18 again and I just want to drive the yard work can wait.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any kids? Get couple boys and teach them about cars and you'll slowly win her over.

My wife wasn't thrill when she came back from a one month vacation to find the Porsche in the driveway. But as soon as she saw how excited my two boys in the back seats she calmed down and that's was it.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Damn... my wife is a total car girl! Just last Sunday, the weather was awesome and she says.. let's go for a drive with the top down. We did... with our 4 yr old daughter in the back seat. My daughter keeps telling me to go faster and pass cars! LOL.

The other day, I was washing the turbo's wheels in the laundry room sink!! She had no clue what I was doing.. and walks in. Saw me what I was doing... shook her head and told me to clean up the mess after I am done and walked away.

I guess I lucked out.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

my wife has zero interest in cars but we support each other's fun. I like it when she is happy and she likes it when I am. It works for us. Great story...yesterday we had to drive to a lawyer to sign some docs for a house we bought but the docs weren't ready until later than supposed to and we had to get back to pick up the kids from school, so we took the turbo and I drove fast with her in the car (I always tone it down for her as she hates roller coasters or going fast) anyway she was hanging on for dear life but was happy we made great time!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't get married until I was 48= loved being single and if she wasn't such a perfect fit I would have stayed that way. I had quite a few cars when we married so she knew how I did things, but that said she could care less about the cars or what I do with them.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I warned my wife that it was going to be part of the deal while we were still dating, and it was non-negotiable. We got married young and we were dead *** broke, but I knew at some point I would be in a position to indulge and when I could I would.

I spend zero money on alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, strip clubs, or gambling. If this is the worst vice she has to deal with, I'd say she's one lucky lady.

Not everything has to be for both of you. It's good to have some things that are important just to you. I'm sure she's interested in some stuff that you couldn't give a rip about too - as it should be.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

My wife has never batted an eye regarding cars that I buy; she enjoys driving all of them.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Mongo84
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im very fortunate mine loves going for drives in my two cars. Start taking her on little adventures to show her how much fun it can it be!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 AM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
My wife has never batted an eye regarding cars that I buy; she enjoys driving all of them.
Same here. In fact, it was my wife that told me I needed to buy my Turbo when I showed her pics of it for sale. She enjoys driving both the Turbo and Boxster, even though they are both 6-speeds.

She's a keeper...
Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My gf is not a car person. She prefers to drive around her Lexus GS350. She is okay with the 996tt, but said its stock exhaust is a little loud inside the cabin. She does not like the 930 as it is way too loud for her taste. lol Cars are my hobby, and it is okay by her.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She hates my rear wing, but likes to drive the race car on track.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have a reef tank that sucks up money, She learned to look at the tank just so she could notice what I just bought. She's not that bad, I'm being a little immature. today I showed her a boxster and now she's already picked a color. Any boxster owners that could tell me what years I should be looking at?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:29 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife liked my boxster early on when we were dating and first married. She doesn't have much love for the turbo other than it can carry the kids too.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 AM
obskein
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't drive a boxster but I do know that the early ones suffer the ims bearing failure just like the non gt/tt 996's - it has a similar engine but mounted longitudinal. They are a steal at current prices - if you can get over the headlights.

From the research I was doing before I bought a 996tt, the ones that die are the ones with low miles - the harder driven ones force oil into the bearing and 'lubricate' it. There are some easy aftermarket fixes (more rows of bearings, or forced oil lubrication systems). There's an interesting thread about choosing a boxster Model Year here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/647085-any-word-of-2008-engine-failures-resulting-from-ims-failure.html

And yes, I know this is descending off topic. Sorries!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 7 cars. The wife is semi OK with it. Seems like everytime I leave for tour. I come home and get something else. She is the only one home most of the time so she is in charge of trickle chargers and rotation of driving. She complains about but I think she secretly enjoys it. Except when something breaks on one and I am not home. She always seems to keep that a secret till I come home and discover it myself. Yea she is all girl.

Quick Reply: Significant other and your turbo...