Sponsored by:

Aquamist water/meth help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Raph82
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aquamist water/meth help

Bought my car already with the system installed howeven I can see a bit a of a leak and at higher boost setting controlled and tuned by EPL on WOT it's "missing" almost like missfiring.
It's shows flow through the flow gauge
It's spray nose are installed on the Y pipes,
And as I boost i stopped the car opened rear engine hatch I could see that the water/meth in not going all the way the the jet spray all I see is residue of liquid on top of the intake y-pipe

*** I know this is a complicated issue but if anybody could have an small idea of how to check for leaks or what should I do other than finding a shop that are able to fix/retune etc
I would appreciate.
Raphael.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

How long have you had the car?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I originally had my Aquamist plumbed to the Y pipe. I found that it was extremely hard on the throttle jacking unit. I had some weired running shortly before my throttle body had to be replaced. The failure was corrosion inside the throttle body cover where the jacking unit resides.
Not long after replacing the throttle body I ran into a guy who was working on his engineering degree at University of Georgia. He was working on his senior project. His was studying the effects of methanol injection on turbine efficiency. I lent him my car for his project. After considerable testing (many pulls on the dyno), I found my Aquamist volume of spray cut by 20% and the nozzles relocated to the pipes coming off the turbos. Net result, the kid got an A, I got 7 more hp to the ground, and my throttle body and jacking unit is pristine.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

running a car at wot on a meth tune with the improper amount of meth running is a recipe for disaster. with that setup and retune
Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this exact setup from EPL at one point from the original owner of the car. If you are keeping it long term I would scrap the Water meth injection and get a good fuel system installed and run e85 or race gas.

My meth was leaking near the fitting on top of the Y pipe also. Not sure how bad of a leak you have is though, but a photo would help.

Also when you are "missing" are you taking about mechanically? Are you getting popping sounds from the exhaust also somewhat? You may be going lean which isn't good.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph82
Bought my car already with the system installed howeven I can see a bit a of a leak and at higher boost setting controlled and tuned by EPL on WOT it's "missing" almost like missfiring.
It's shows flow through the flow gauge
It's spray nose are installed on the Y pipes,
And as I boost i stopped the car opened rear engine hatch I could see that the water/meth in not going all the way the the jet spray all I see is residue of liquid on top of the intake y-pipe

*** I know this is a complicated issue but if anybody could have an small idea of how to check for leaks or what should I do other than finding a shop that are able to fix/retune etc
I would appreciate.
Raphael.
Meth injection is a great system to install when you have run out of ideas to cool the intake charge. I think of it as a last resort after trying intercoolers and such. With that being said, and the only way to actually know if the system is working as it should, is to look at intake temps and knock retard and see if they are too high and if you are getting timing pulled.
Hard to tell if the unit was put on as extra security , or is built into the tune to squeeze the last amount of power out. If it is the latter, as suggested above, stop and rectify the situation either by installing new components and retuning , deleting the system and fixing the actual issue the meth system is trying to band-aid.
This is not a knock on these systems, but if the tuner is relying on the meth system to operate as part of the tune, and not extra insurance, it may not be the best way to go for an engine that is quite costly to repair.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Most of the time the Meth injection is added to allow owners the option of running higher boost with crap octane. As mentioned above, you are looking for trouble and instant detonation when you hit 1.35 bars on pump gas with a ill-working Meth injection setup. The system has to be at 100%..

Repeated from posters above.. Retune for racegas or E85 safer in the long run.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Raph82
Instructor

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
I originally had my Aquamist plumbed to the Y pipe. I found that it was extremely hard on the throttle jacking unit. I had some weired running shortly before my throttle body had to be replaced. The failure was corrosion inside the throttle body cover where the jacking unit resides.
Not long after replacing the throttle body I ran into a guy who was working on his engineering degree at University of Georgia. He was working on his senior project. His was studying the effects of methanol injection on turbine efficiency. I lent him my car for his project. After considerable testing (many pulls on the dyno), I found my Aquamist volume of spray cut by 20% and the nozzles relocated to the pipes coming off the turbos. Net result, the kid got an A, I got 7 more hp to the ground, and my throttle body and jacking unit is pristine.
Thx for sharing bud !!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Raph82
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
I had this exact setup from EPL at one point from the original owner of the car. If you are keeping it long term I would scrap the Water meth injection and get a good fuel system installed and run e85 or race gas.

My meth was leaking near the fitting on top of the Y pipe also. Not sure how bad of a leak you have is though, but a photo would help.

Also when you are "missing" are you taking about mechanically? Are you getting popping sounds from the exhaust also somewhat? You may be going lean which isn't good.
Thx for the reply definitely an option for the future as I use my 996tt less through The week.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Raph82
Instructor

Default Thx for the input guys

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Meth injection is a great system to install when you have run out of ideas to cool the intake charge. I think of it as a last resort after trying intercoolers and such. With that being said, and the only way to actually know if the system is working as it should, is to look at intake temps and knock retard and see if they are too high and if you are getting timing pulled.
Hard to tell if the unit was put on as extra security , or is built into the tune to squeeze the last amount of power out. If it is the latter, as suggested above, stop and rectify the situation either by installing new components and retuning , deleting the system and fixing the actual issue the meth system is trying to band-aid.
This is not a knock on these systems, but if the tuner is relying on the meth system to operate as part of the tune, and not extra insurance, it may not be the best way to go for an engine that is quite costly to repair.
Originally Posted by Kevin
Most of the time the Meth injection is added to allow owners the option of running higher boost with crap octane. As mentioned above, you are looking for trouble and instant detonation when you hit 1.35 bars on pump gas with a ill-working Meth injection setup. The system has to be at 100%..

Repeated from posters above.. Retune for racegas or E85 safer in the long run.

So I've ordered replacements aquamist pressure fitings and nylon lines for the system to freshen up and redo some of the leaky and slightly corroded fittings (yes a bit corroded ) also previous owner is using windshield fluid !! That being said I'll replace fluids with 50/50 methanol distilled water with the new parts and see how it runs and check for leaks.
Also me and my mechanic here in Atlanta are getting together to do a couple of runs and data log to really have an idea of what my 2 tunes are like , as the only thing I can monitor is by boost gauge and the aquamist flow gauge (aquamist gauge just monitors pump flow) doesn't monitor if meth is flowing all the way through in case and exemple of my leak.
Looks like tune 1 is 1.1 bar and 2- is 1.2 bars I believe on Tial alphas 3076s.
And yes I will look into e85 in near future as I drive less weekly.
Thx again guys.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

For what it is worth..my experience with this on other platforms has been you can use Meth Injection for 2 things (as mentioned above). The first is to cool the intake charge. This is a GREAT way to use it, and it means small amounts. If it fails, when used in this manner, there will be no bad effects to your engine typically because tour ECU corrects for the knock.

When people get greedy though, and want to use to to increase the effective octane, and then run a lot more boost than their system would normally be able to handle on 93 octane....it can be a recipe for disaster. Most reasonable system though have a failsafe that connects to the boost controller so if the Meth Injection goes down the boost is drastically cut. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Aquamist water/meth help