Sponsored by:

New to Porsche and haverookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
What part of the country do you live that can have a bit to do with pricing? Great move you can find a nice car for that money good luck.
I live in central Tx and my location puts me about 200 miles from the closest porsche dealer. Which brings me too maintenance/service related issues. I'm not sure locally if I have a reputable shop. seems foolish to have a car in a town that can't service it. I'm looking into alternatives. That being said there a few "autohaus" type shops where I live I just haven't made any formal introductions yet. So here's what I know so far about my future life with this car.
1. I am not a mechanic, but oil changes and brakes seem within reason.
2. Ive crunched some mileage numbers I'll put on this car and it looks like I'll stay well under 10k more than likely 6-7k.
3. I don't want to be "that guy" who buys the non turbo and later says "why didn't I get the turbo".
4. Everyone I have met here is not the 1980's cardigan porsche ******. I deff am not although those guys in the movies got the best tail.
5. While driving I can already imagine the rice nation and the pony boys trying to coax me into a race. My response will be to look in the back seat at my 5yr old daughter and say you see those guys, never bring one home when you start dating. Then Casually drive her to school and seek out said rice individuals.
6. Will not get some personalized vanity license plate because I can't think of anything cool to say on one.
7. I'm not the best manual transmission driver and I think the wrong car to learn Is a turbo. Sadly I must concede and be one of those guys with a tiptronic.
8. I don't like convertibles never have.
9. I will not be that guy who posts a YouTube video of himself driving to work.
10. I can't wait to have a Porsche I still look back to all the die cast cars I had as kid and always imagined myself as a miniature person driving that car.
As long as the zombie apocolypse does not happen that miniature car will soon enough be the real deal.
11. My other hobby is reef aquariums and if any of you know this hobby I think they translate well to owning a Porsche. Maintenance, noticing parameter shifts, dosing, etc. which when you do you will be rewarded with a beautiful tank that becomes easier to keep as the tank matures.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully you can find a shop local for basic maintenance and take the long haul to dealer only if something big comes up. I would get a manual and take my time getting use to it= much easier to sell when the time comes and a lot more fun! A car with that low of mileage will be hard to find especially in that price range my car has under 14k and you do see lower from time to time. A car well kept and under 50k is still very desirable.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if there is ONE thing i could add by way of advice? please do NOT buy as 996 turbo with a tiptronic. either learn to shift a manual ( cardigan sweater optional ).

or upgrade into a proper pdk transmission for your turbo which irrc? they didn't get sorted properly until the 997.2 turbo and there's a whole chunk of change btw the two.

do you really want to mess with those cumbersome "things" on the wheel in a 96t. imo, an awful design, though they will and do "work". i think there last time the term chicktronic although disparaging can be fairly used when describing the 996 t tip. lol. not so a pdk, that aint no joke

you've got a car, you're shopping take your time, drive em all, and pick whats best for you.. lastly i would leave kids at home rather than in these cars always lol
Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
I appreciate all the feedback....would I really even notice the difference between a turbo and a 4s. More importantly would I be satisfied with a 4s?
This has been addressed, but I'll add my $0.02.

When looking for my Porsche I was satisfied with the idea of just owning one. When I came across the 996TT I now own, I told the wife it was more expensive. Her response was "you know you will eventually want the TT, so just buy it"...

As for as the difference between a TT and non TT, I drove a friend's C2 with tiptronic. It was painful...really painful after driving the AWD Turbo. There truly is nothing like feeling the amazing acceleration and incredible grip these cars have on tap.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm working with a $45K+ budget and I'm still struggling to find 'the car' after 2+ months searching...and I'm looking for a pretty common spec: 2002-2004 996TT, silver or grey w/ black interior, 6-speed, under 40K miles).

Kevin, I would be really interested in hearing your perspective on pricing, esp. since you're on the West Coast.
Mine would have fit the bill, but it's a Tip and I'm not selling.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm working with a $45K+ budget and I'm still struggling to find 'the car' after 2+ months searching...and I'm looking for a pretty common spec: 2002-2004 996TT, silver or grey w/ black interior, 6-speed, under 40K miles).

Kevin, I would be really interested in hearing your perspective on pricing, esp. since you're on the West Coast.
Asking $45, but very low miles silver/black
http://www.napervilleautohaus.com/de...-12632808.html
Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see 50k I have a few less miles and more options on mine hope if I sell I get near that lol.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche and haverookie questions