Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got oil changed, I'm severe OCD and have a track day in 3 weeks, funny sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 AM
OEM+
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got oil changed, I'm severe OCD and have a track day in 3 weeks, funny sound?

I just got my oil changed at Moorespeed here in Austin Texas, and they were awesome. Friendly, worked with me, dropped my wife off when she dropped the car off and picked me up when it was done. They used Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing 4T oil…which to my understanding is fine for cars even though it says motorcycle. The only difference is the levels of different voodoo things in the oil that may shorten the life of the cat. Either way, the oil is fine for the engine itself after doing some research.

The real reason for this thread is because I THINK, and I say think because I’m severely diagnosed OCD and anxious, the car has developed lifter tick. This is the 3rd German car I’ve owned (VW and an E36) and they had lifter tick normally, and after I would autocross them I’d have even worse lifter tick, but I’ve never really noticed it in this car until after this oil change. I know that these cars sound like (as it was once described to me) it has a bag of marbles in the crank case, but I’m doing a track day at CoTA in 3 weeks and am starting to freak out that something might be wrong with the car. I first noticed it last night and was really freaked out, but I drove it this morning and feel slightly better about the sound. I put a link to a video I recorded with my iphone 6 (so the sound quality is AMAZING…sarcasm), so if you could let me know what you think I’d appreciate it. The sounds is the same on both sides of the engine.

The car behaves 100% normal, feels like it has full power, no warning lights, holds .7 boost…it’s just this sound is severely messing with my OCD…and please give me honest thoughts, but please don’t say something is wrong just to mess with me.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I think that is just the sound of the chain tensioners. The Mezger engine does make a lot noise/noises. How does it drive?
Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM
OEM+
Advanced

100% fine. No warning lights, holds .7 boost, pulls normal, oil pressure is fine (greater than 4 bar when cruising, at idle its anywhere from just below 2 bar to just above 2 bar), volts are fine (that that they would be affected by this)feels 100% normal. At speed there are no abnormal sounds at all.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

That video: I made one using my camera phone and was so horrified by the way it sounded on playback I immediately deleted it..lol

Your car sounds normal. Add a LWFW and your OCD wil redline
Old 11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
OEM+
Advanced

LWFW?

Light weight Fly wheel?

And I had a buddy that had a LWFW in a VW and good lord...I'd never do that to myself.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:38 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Yes, GT3RS 4.0 lightweight flywheel on my TT.

Oddly enough it is quiet as can be sometimes and other times it's rattling like nuts and bolts in a tin can.

The unexpected benefit is the performance gain. I didn't notice it at first, but after parking it for a few weeks and then going for a drive I was amazed at how much better the throttle response is and I do believe it accelerates better as well.

Nothing to fear if you get the right parts from Kevin at UMW
Old 11-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

OEM, it is my opinion that the 10W40 is too stiff for a winter oil. If Austin was at 100F "now" you could get away with the 10 weight. An issue that might arise is the oil going on bypass and not getting filtered. With the recent cold weather, I'd recommend dropping to a 5W40 or 5W50

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

^+1, change out the oil and report back.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
OEM+
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin
OEM, it is my opinion that the 10W40 is too stiff for a winter oil. If Austin was at 100F "now" you could get away with the 10 weight. An issue that might arise is the oil going on bypass and not getting filtered. With the recent cold weather, I'd recommend dropping to a 5W40 or 5W50
Originally Posted by 993GT
^+1, change out the oil and report back.
It's garage kept and not driven when super cold, nor is it a DD, so is it that big of a deal? And once the engine is warm am I correct in assuming that the first number doesn't matter regardless of ambient temp?

Also, these temps that we're having down here aren't normal, so I'd hate to change the oil for a couple weeks only to have to go back. For example, its already 61* here this morning.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

5w50 is your best bet, go that route and don't look back.
10w40 really doesn't do much for you(in theory), poorer cold-start performance and less high-temp viscosity
I've thrown out 0/zero mile oil before, don't look at it as a up-front expense, engine durability is our goal.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The starting viscosity of your oil is too thick. Garage parked or not. Unless the outside temps reach 100F I would not recommend the 10W40. The noise that you hear is the lifters and hydraulic tensioners creating chain slap..
Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 PM
OEM+
Advanced

I freaking hate oil and everything associated with it. One one hand you have an oil list saying no 10W oils...on the other you have people running 15W oils in their cars...and you have oil companies saying 10W because high mileage you need that extra bit. Mine has 84,xxx miles on it. I have a shop that races their Porsche's recommending this oil, as well as other people running the same weight or even a higher weight.

Then you have people saying the engine sounds fine, others saying its chain tensioner, others saying lifter tick, and people who have engines that sound quieter and others that sound way louder.

It seems stupid and silly to other people, but this kind of crap seriously pushes my anxiety for crap like this. I seriously hate this and regret asking. I know people are trying to help, though.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Geez man,get a hold of yourself!

10W is simply too thick of an oil on cold start up! Everyone knows that. Forget about opinions! This is not Bob the oil guy. It's too thick! You want good lubrication right away upon start up. That's when most wear occurs.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM
OEM+
Advanced

Dude, I wish I could get a hold of myself. I use to work on airplanes, the night after I worked on one the jet crashed and the pilot didn't make it. I thought it was my fault until the investigation finished up 6 months later. Ever since then with anything mechanical, I can't handle it. That's why I don't work on my cars anymore. Yeah, it sounds stupid and simple to say "just forget about it." It's not that simple. I wish I was...trust me...I hate this about myself.

I took the car to a shop that makes their lively hood off of racing Porsche cars...I emailed them asking for clarification that the oil is fine and why the used that viscosity...

The funny part about all this, looking on-line, people swear by their 15W-50 they run in their cars. I'm just about to quit surfing the internet.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good idea not to surf the internet if you ask a question and don't really want the answer. Wrong weight oil no matter what your shop says.

Quick Reply: Just got oil changed, I'm severe OCD and have a track day in 3 weeks, funny sound?