Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 996 turbo 84 k miles good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 01 996 turbo 84 k miles good deal?

http://www.ezgoautosell.com/inventor...l-Arlington-TX

Looking to pick up my first Porsche, considering switching from BMW. I've only owned forced induction cars, can't stop now :-).

Local dealer is offering a 01 911 a turbo, 84k miles. Clean carfax, 3 owners. Cat looks clean. After market nav. Seems to be an average price. Obviously a good pre purchase inspection. Service records etc. I'm not worried about cost of owner ship, currently have 2 bmws, one has been 10 k repairs in 18 months, they are expensive to own.

So my question is this an fair deal, or should I potentially hold off for one with lower miles?

Also as it isn't I'm not sure what options are included.

This would be my daily driver next to the E90.

Thanks everyone, any input is appreciated.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:02 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

looks like a ruf shifter...don't let miles frighten you, only lack of maintenance. i'm at 122k+ on an 03
Old 11-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Price seems fair to me.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Tips look like x50 package? I'll have to check it out in person. Would vin decoder help, or was this a package added on at dealer and not factory?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM
mdurbahn
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucid Moment
Tips look like x50 package? I'll have to check it out in person. Would vin decoder help, or was this a package added on at dealer and not factory?
X50 wasn't available in 01
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like the same car in this thread:https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ed-market.html

Some good comments there to consider. Might want to check for mods (looks like there are a few) as well.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucid Moment
http://www.ezgoautosell.com/inventor...l-Arlington-TX

Looking to pick up my first Porsche, considering switching from BMW. I've only owned forced induction cars, can't stop now :-).

Local dealer is offering a 01 911 a turbo, 84k miles. Clean carfax, 3 owners. Cat looks clean. After market nav. Seems to be an average price. Obviously a good pre purchase inspection. Service records etc. I'm not worried about cost of owner ship, currently have 2 bmws, one has been 10 k repairs in 18 months, they are expensive to own.

So my question is this an fair deal, or should I potentially hold off for one with lower miles?

Also as it isn't I'm not sure what options are included.

This would be my daily driver next to the E90.

Thanks everyone, any input is appreciated.
Here's a cut/paste of a reply to your question regarding this car over in the 996 forum:

Googling the car's VIN turns up several ads from the past. The car was offered for sale some time back with 74,993 miles and then again (now I guess) with 83,931 miles.

In none of the ads do I see any reference to an X50 package. I would think that if the car has this package at least one seller would have listed it.

Check the options sticker under the front trunk lid.

My usual reply to questions about used Porsches is the car in question is just a used car so a thorough used car check out is required.

That you are talking about a Turbo doesn't change things.

(BTW, I have shopped and bought a used Turbo and currently own the car.)

My advice is to visit the car cold. Turn off the A/C. When you first turn on the key confirm the dash warning lights all come on -- including the CEL -- and then they all go off when the engine fires and begins to run.

Let the engine idle while you walk around the car. On the surface you are looking the car over for any signs of body/paint work. But you are also listening to the engine from every angle.

After letting the engine idle for a while -- 10 minutes or so if possible -- then have the seller take you on a test ride.

During this you want to focus on how the car rides, handles, steers, brakes, and accelerates.

The route should cover 15 miles or so and give the driver a chance to demo the car as you will use it, within reason of course.

But once warmed up the test ride should include a hard acceleration up through at least 2 gears.

You want to verify the engine pulls strongly from off idle to redline. And afterwards you want to verify the engine settles into a nice smooth idle.

Check the rear view mirror for any exhaust smoke. This can be a sign the turbo seals are leaking.

Back at the starting point you get behind the wheel and take the car out on a test drive. Drive the same route. Drive the car the same way.

You must spend time with the car in its natural state, with the engine running.

After the test ride/drive then give the car a thorough used car check out. Assume nothing works until you confirm it does.

What specifically to look for? There are too many things to cover. But some highlights are 2nd gear (any gear pop out). Stiff clutch with the engine off. (Clutch accumulator bad, which can also have the slave cylinder bad too.) Leaking spoiler cylinders. High pitched squeal with 6-speed in neutral and foot off the clutch pedal. (High pressure relief valve noise which requires a new power steering tank ($1000) to address.) Non-functioning radiator fans. Any noises from the engine. While the engine is pretty robust and not subject to the IMSB problem of the N/A engines, a Turbo engine can still be sick. Chirps or other noises can be from a noisy idler roller bearing. Lower pitched noises from a water pump.

The 6-speed should shift without any drama, clunks, or crunches. The Tip likewise should not exhibit any untoward behavior.

If after all of the above, you still like the car and believe you can buy it for an agreeable sum of money, then get a PPI.

Among other things this has the car in the air where it can be checked for leaks. The water pump, engine coolant hose fittings (engine out job to address), turbo oil lines, RMS, transmission seals, rear diff seals, cardan shaft, front diff seals, in short every hose fitting, line fitting, seal, gasket or o-ring needs to be inspected for any leak sign.

The DME over rev counters get read and the tech can go over these readings with you if there's anything to worry about.

Remember, these are expensive cars news. $120K or more. They can be expensive to service and repair should something go wrong. They are rather special cars to work on -- often common services like plugs require more labor to do than on a N/A car -- and require special knowledge. The car needs a dealer to service or a very good indy. Your local quick lube joint ain't going to suffice.

Some owners do some work themselves, too, and save some money. Oil/filter services are not that hard to do but you need to know how to do them correctly. Brakes are not difficult. Even more involved things like a clutch, or water pump job can be done. But you need to be able to get the car in the air safely, and quickly. Were I going to do my own Turbo servicing beyond just oil/filter servicing, I'd buy a nice floor lift that would pick up the car by its factory lift points or with the proper adapters by its tires/wheels like the dealer service bay lift does. Your garage lift doesn't have to be that fancy. IIRC nice lifts are available for under $2K.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ excellent advice. Need to copy and paste for next week's same post...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ lol
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

True True lol= search-search-search!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

My main question was to find out of this would be an ok deal.

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
^ excellent advice. Need to copy and paste for next week's same post...
Yeah, I should but I never think that far ahead.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Macster's post should just be made into a sticky.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

agree macster is a national treasure in the global 996t forums. i hope he saves those too lol

there's a bunch of aftermaket stuff seemingly done most obviously the 997 wheels - whatever paint to match spoiler in front and painted bumperettes, it all just make you wonder what all else may be done to the car. can't be x50 as noted above. its a dealer so they're asking 35 its probably more than fair nd a lot of used car for 35 but a pp fire sale would find you the same car for 30 I'm betting.

is there a
mod" list of what "isn't" stock beside the visual cues?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 AM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
agree macster is a national treasure in the global 996t forums. i hope he saves those too lol

there's a bunch of aftermaket stuff seemingly done most obviously the 997 wheels - whatever paint to match spoiler in front and painted bumperettes, it all just make you wonder what all else may be done to the car. can't be x50 as noted above. its a dealer so they're asking 35 its probably more than fair nd a lot of used car for 35 but a pp fire sale would find you the same car for 30 I'm betting.

is there a
mod" list of what "isn't" stock beside the visual cues?
No don't have mod list. However I'm on the same page, wheels are probably replicas, and then all the mods I'm like meh, I'd preferably have a virgin.

Quick Reply: 01 996 turbo 84 k miles good deal?