Sponsored by:

996 Turbo Used Market

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:03 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 Turbo Used Market

Been going back and forth in my head on buying a 2002/2003 996 or 2001/2002 996 Turbo. This is the cheapest price I have seen. Obviously higher mileage and not sure about the wheels? Thoughts? Also, i see it has had 4 owners. Guess it depends on how good the service records are, etc.?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...1291/overview/
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Big difference between the N/A 996 and the 996tt with respect to performance and engine reliability. There are many threads about that here; just use search to find them (Mezger engine, etc.).

Also, look for Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) with respect to the 996tt. That will help with "what things to look for" before buying a particular car.

You should be able to find more than a few 996tt in the $35K-$40K range with 50K-80K miles on them. They are very reliable cars if maintained properly.

Having a full set of service records is a significant advantage when buying. Look for spoiler ram replacement, coil packs, clutch accummulator, clutch slave cylinder, and perhaps clutch disc, cam solenoid bracket, coolant pipe replacement.

On the car in the ad in your post, you may also want to check for mods to the car, and be sure to get a good PPI before making the decision to buy.

The Turbo is a great car, and it is very addictive. You'll find it hard to go back to a N/A car again.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdkelly1
Big difference between the N/A 996 and the 996tt with respect to performance and engine reliability. There are many threads about that here; just use search to find them (Mezger engine, etc.).

Also, look for Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) with respect to the 996tt. That will help with "what things to look for" before buying a particular car.

You should be able to find more than a few 996tt in the $35K-$40K range with 50K-80K miles on them. They are very reliable cars if maintained properly.

Having a full set of service records is a significant advantage when buying. Look for spoiler ram replacement, coil packs, clutch accummulator, clutch slave cylinder, and perhaps clutch disc, cam solenoid bracket, coolant pipe replacement.

On the car in the ad in your post, you may also want to check for mods to the car, and be sure to get a good PPI before making the decision to buy.

The Turbo is a great car, and it is very addictive. You'll find it hard to go back to a N/A engine car again.
Yep. Very aware of the differences (IMS, etc). Thanks for the tips on what to look for. Good to hear about being able to pick one up between 35 and 40k.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:08 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

This is kind of a trivial thing, but the subject car has 997 Turbo look wheels that I suspect are the $600 Chinese knock offs. I may be old fashioned, but wouldn't want to run a 3000 lb, 400 HP car on no-name $600 wheels.

OTOH, if they turn out to be genuine 997 turbo wheels, somebody paid a lot of money and it could be an indicator that they weren't stingy with the car.

For about $1K more, there is an '03 one owner car in Costa Mesa I can point you to. I haven't seen it, tho.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:56 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techweenie
This is kind of a trivial thing, but the subject car has 997 Turbo look wheels that I suspect are the $600 Chinese knock offs. I may be old fashioned, but wouldn't want to run a 3000 lb, 400 HP car on no-name $600 wheels.

OTOH, if they turn out to be genuine 997 turbo wheels, somebody paid a lot of money and it could be an indicator that they weren't stingy with the car.

For about $1K more, there is an '03 one owner car in Costa Mesa I can point you to. I haven't seen it, tho.
Thanks! I was wondering about the wheels - did not know the 2007 has similar wheels. I will have to ask if they are genuine. I like the stock ones better. If u have a link to the one for sale in Costa Mesa - shoot it over. Thx again
Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My suggestion is to pay more upfront for a good car with decent miles and full maintenance records. This car is fairly priced and if ppi checked out worth that price easy. Read about the discount buyers problems after purchase= there is no free lunch.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
My suggestion is to pay more upfront for a good car with decent miles and full maintenance records. This car is fairly priced and if ppi checked out worth that price easy. Read about the discount buyers problems after purchase= there is no free lunch.
Thanks. I hear ya and agree.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful of 997 wheels on a 996. They are not the same diameter, so it can be bad for the differential. The 996 uses a standard differential where the 997 has some electronic system that can compensate for the difference.
I know for a fact that some people are using them for years without a problem, but then again I know others that ruined their differential with them. In other words buyer beware.
By the way, I passed on a 996 when I was looking for mine because a car I saw had these wheels. I like the way they look, and they look more modern, but I didn't want to risk it.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by up4speed
Be careful of 997 wheels on a 996. They are not the same diameter, so it can be bad for the differential. The 996 uses a standard differential where the 997 has some electronic system that can compensate for the difference.
I know for a fact that some people are using them for years without a problem, but then again I know others that ruined their differential with them. In other words buyer beware.
By the way, I passed on a 996 when I was looking for mine because a car I saw had these wheels. I like the way they look, and they look more modern, but I didn't want to risk it.
It's not the diameter of the wheels, it's the diameter of the TIRES mounted on the wheels that is crucial. The wheel diameters are completely irrelevant other than you have much fewer brand choices in matched sizes for 19", and the 19" tires give a lousy ride in comparison to the stock 18"'s. The suspensions of these cars are designed to work best with 18"s. That said, running the 997 wheels is harmless to the viscous coupling as long as the diameters and revs per mile are within the spec Porsche specifies. I believe 3% or less is what's recommended. Folks who tear up the viscous coupling aren't paying attention to matching diameters properly, regardless of wheel diameter.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there are NO "absolutes" to these cars if and once properly maintained. no records four owners tracked extensively/modded as far as it can be taken without internal building etc... my car currently has over 122k miles and it runs like a stung mule, everything works PERFECTLY and besides the fact that it's never gonna look "new"? i'd put it up against ANY 996 turbo anytime/place.

and its worth .. maybe xx? a fkn travesty i tell ya.....

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 11-10-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Great advice! I have bought many used Porsches and used cars in gerneral in my time and the ones that have always worked the best were the ones I paid a little extra for because they were low mileage and in pristine condition.

If you are "handy" and you want to save yourself a little cash buy a house that need some fixing up. Spend the cash to get a good trouble free car. You will be much happier that way.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Great advice! I have bought many used Porsches and used cars in gerneral in my time and the ones that have always worked the best were the ones I paid a little extra for because they were low mileage and in pristine condition.

If you are "handy" and you want to save yourself a little cash buy a house that need some fixing up. Spend the cash to get a good trouble free car. You will be much happier that way.
Disagree. Let someone else pay the depreciation and routine expenses. Just be sure to get full records and scrutinize them. Prior owner of my car spent $10,000 on normal maintenance items for me, ha ha.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Disagree. Let someone else pay the depreciation and routine expenses. Just be sure to get full records and scrutinize them. Prior owner of my car spent $10,000 on normal maintenance items for me, ha ha.
I am saying the exact same thing you are. Buy used, but buy quality used. Get it?
Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:39 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I am saying the exact same thing you are. Buy used, but buy quality used. Get it?
Not really.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Used Market