Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins road and track coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 AM
mldgman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins road and track coilovers?

Recently been interested in the ohlins road and track coilovers and was recommended the pss10 instead. Ohlins says these units move for other cars, but not too much for the Porsche, anyone have them? I did a bit of searching and there is limited info on this setup for our application.
Also, was thinking of getting the camber plates for all 4 corners and was thinking that for the 3k+1k for the plates, perhaps there is a good coilover that came with the plates? Do there really need to be replaced at 12 years old and 35k miles? Use will be mostly street with about 5ish track days a year.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

I actually just bought them and in the process of installing them in my garage. From what I've read and asking the vendors, the valving is better and springs are a little stiffer. I saved some money by searching for used camber plates and droplinks too. Vivid also gave me a discount on the Ohlins.

I'm still on the fence regarding the spring rates and might switch them out for stiffer ones before they go on. I want to try the stock rates but doing the coilover job twice in a short period of time is not my type of fun. Still looking for feedback though..

Stock:
Front - 400
Rear - 686

They can go up +30% without re-valving so I was thinking about getting some Eibach springs:
Front - 450-475
Rear - 750
Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
mldgman
Intermediate

Are the camber plates really necessary or can I just continue to use the stock rubber mounts? I have drop links already, so no need for that.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

These are heavy cars guys. With good quality shocks you can run pretty stiff rates assuming the shocks are valved for them. My car weighs 3250 with fuel minus driver and I have gone from 700/800 to 1100/1200 and the ride is actually much softer with the 1100/1200 rates because the shocks are better. It's actually daily driver comfy. With the compression dialed back the car rides better than any of the coilovers I've had previously (RUF PSS9, H&R coilovers, JRZ RS1). I've been setting up the car at the track over the last two weekends and after consulting with my shop we'll be upping the rates to 1400/1500. Moral of the story, don't be scared of higher spring rates if your shocks can handle them. Invest in quality shocks, they're worth it!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Mongo84
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the problem with ohlins is that they are just starting to market more for cars, they have been building race shocks for bikes, and race cars for some time, however only recently have been marketing their road and track series of coilovers. I have them on my S2000 and they were a night and day difference from my bilsteins. But the bilsteins for the Porsche are built very differently then for the Honda. Build quality on the ohlins are beautiful, and I've been very impressed with them but that's coming from putting them on my S2000 not a Porsche however. When I have the funding I will be though that's for sure.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I am also very interested in everyones thoughts on these coilovers. Hopefully the Ohlins name transfers well from motorsports bike applications to road/track use Porsches. Wonder how these compare to a KW V3 which I am also shopping?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM
mldgman
Intermediate

OK, i think the decision is final, im going w the ohlins, i was leaning that direction initially! I will call them to see if they can provide stiffer springs and valving from the factory. Now regarding the camber plates, are these necessary or can i use the stock rubber tops?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:25 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mldgman
OK, i think the decision is final, im going w the ohlins, i was leaning that direction initially! I will call them to see if they can provide stiffer springs and valving from the factory. Now regarding the camber plates, are these necessary or can i use the stock rubber tops?
Get new top mounts. The JRZ AWD mono ball tops are the best as they locate the monoball in the center of the top plate unlike others like Mode or Tarett which place the monoball below the center of the top mount thus taking away from your shock travel. There are not many options for the AWD upper mounts.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, thanks for the JRZ front mounts! Are the issues specific to the fronts or will the Tarett rear mounts work?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM
mldgman
Intermediate

Where can I buy the jrz top mounts? It's easy to find the others you mentioned, but not the jrz!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt
Yes, thanks for the JRZ front mounts! Are the issues specific to the fronts or will the Tarett rear mounts work?
The rear Tarett mounts are fine. The Tarett ones still mount the monoball a bit lower on these compared to to JRZs but it's relatively negligible. The front are the ones that have the issue as the difference is about 1/2".
Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Where can I buy the jrz top mounts? It's easy to find the others you mentioned, but not the jrz!
Pm sent
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohlins

Having my car modded to RWD now and GT2 alignment. I bought the Ohlins coilovers directly from them ($2500 or so shipped)..... there is a lot of work and other mods necessary to do my set up properly but after a LOT of research and reviews I concluded I would go Ohlins over JRV (price) and Ohlins over Bilstein (quality)....

I will do a write up once I get the car back as my guy here in NY had to fab up some sway bar mounts for my set up
Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 AM
neogeo
7th Gear

I just ordered a set of Ohlins for my '03 996 turbo and I'm looking forward to them! Hopefully I'll have some results in a couple weeks or so
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
... Wonder how these compare to a KW V3 which I am also shopping?
If you track your car get some higher spring rates with the KW V3s.

Currently using 800/1000 on the KW V3s with GT3 front and rear bars. Going to 1200/1400 in the future.

From my experience do not go more than a 200 lbs difference between front and rear, lots of oversteer will result.

Quick Reply: Ohlins road and track coilovers?