Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close to having the spoiler replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Close to having the spoiler replaced...

Time to replace the spoiler. I've gotten tired of the warning light coming on with spoiler fuse pulled.

Also, I do not like the fact with the spoiler fuse pulled the engine compartment lid does not work.

It is not that I need access to the engine compartment all that often, but I can't see making my interaction the car any more complex by having to get down and install the damn fuse to access the engine compartment.

The techs tell me if the spoiler motor is disconnected the warning light still comes on because the limit switches aren't closed by the non-functioning spoiler.

If the limit switches are disconnected I believe the light comes on while the spoiler is in its retracted state because there are no signals from the disconnected switches.

In talking this over with the techs this AM I was told they have replaced a few of these spoiler systems, 4 or 5 by one tech's estimate, and not one has come back. The replacement spoiler is much improved over the OE spoiler with among other things better seals.

While the cost is going to be too close to $2K for my wallet's comfort I do not want to let things go.

A car becomes a junker/clunker by letting one thing after another slide until there are too many things needing attention.

The car is too nice, runs too good, is too expensive to replace for the want of a non-functioning spoiler, even a $2K one.

Now as to when I'll have this done..., not this week. My parents have some doctor appointments this week and I need the Turbo for those.

What's I'll do say Tuesday is I'll speak with techs and ask they determine what they'll need and have the parts manager order the necessary parts and when all the parts are in I'll drop the car off to have the spoiler replaced. Probably -- barring the unexpected doctor's appointment -- next week.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
crazyfrog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mine packed up I wouldn't bother to have a all new system and would simply go for the fix wing kit.That rising wing is just a gadget really , car looks miles better on high position.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyfrog
If mine packed up I wouldn't bother to have a all new system and would simply go for the fix wing kit.That rising wing is just a gadget really , car looks miles better on high position.
OT- I have seen two 996 Turbos here on RL that have the 997 top wing installed and it looks different in a good way. That may be an option if you won't be repairing the OEM system, too. It remains fixed but has a slightly wider profile.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

I was a able to pull the plug off of the back of the switch that's in the dash horseshoe trim and then pull both of the little contact springs off of the micro switches on the right side hydraulic , mount the switches back in place without said springs and not get any error lights. This took me about 45 minutes. Granted I don't have a working spoiler but I still have $1600 or so in the bank. (not really because I'm mounting a fixed Techart wing). I've research this quite a bit and it seems not all cars behave the same so this might not work for you. But it's an easy experiment to try.

If you want your wing fixed in the up position you can disconnect the hydraulic connections and have your wing in a raised position by inserting a PVC tube cut to length inside the cylinders and using the appropriate length 8mm screws. This is what I did and I've got about $4.00 in the whole set up!

All that being said I still would prefer an articulating wing just as it came from the factory but not bad enough to spend $1600 on it when it's just putting back in the same problematic system.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

this is the downside to only working with a dealership and a ten year old car. the spoiler malfunction can usually be repaired with a can of lucas stop leak and a skilled mechanic that can re-bleed the system ( provided there is no significant leak ) or replace the motor which is the less likely component of this "system"; that's prone to fail - this peculiar oddity we have come to know as our beloved 996t spoiler/wing -

the approx $2K charge to replace the entire unit is really a holdover from a time when those of us that have enjoyed either the porsche new car or even the cpo warranty, and enjoyed its reward will remember. thanks for the memories.

i'm over "it" but thankfully, my spoiler still deploys and retracts as it should.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just get this ? I had the same issue you guys are having...day 1 i picked up my car in 2006... had it replaced twice under warranty and then moved to this.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...turbo-s-3.html
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Why not just get this ? I had the same issue you guys are having...day 1 i picked up my car in 2006... had it replaced twice under warranty and then moved to this.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...turbo-s-3.html
That wouldn't work for anyone (like me) who doesn't want the wing in the up position 100% of the time.

Trending Topics

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Replace the OEM hydraulic system with the one this guy came up with. It works great and is much lighter than the OEM system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121049871313...84.m1423.l2649
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
That wouldn't work for anyone (like me) who doesn't want the wing in the up position 100% of the time.
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Replace the OEM hydraulic system with the one this guy came up with. It works great and is much lighter than the OEM system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121049871313...84.m1423.l2649
Still a fixed wing and if you're willing to disassemble the hydraulics you can accomplish the same thing with about $4.00 in parts instead of spending $150.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by sanyata
Still a fixed wing and if you're willing to disassemble the hydraulics you can accomplish the same thing with about $4.00 in parts instead of spending $150.
I would like to think I was ahead of the curve. Sold mine in working condition for $800 usd Saved 15lbs in the rear of the car and a headache i never have to deal with so....

Much better fix then a mickey mouse job.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The kit on eBay does not produce a fixed wing. You can put the wing all the way up or or all the way down manually via a threaded rod and locking nuts. It works well, read the feedback.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

The kit on eBay does not produce a fixed wing. You can put the wing all the way up or or all the way down manually via a threaded rod and locking nuts. It works well, read the feedback.
Like I said. I sold mine in working condition after the second time it was replaced by the dealer. No need to Micky mouse with a perfectly working system. Sold it for good $ and I installed a well engineered system vs. hooky poky. That said, i like the Porsche Wing UP all the time. on the Down position it looks bland .
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

What about that is not a fixed wing? It does not go up or down at predetermined speeds on its own. It can only be adjusted manually while the vehicle is stationary and then stays in that fixed position until someone once again wrenches on it to change the height of the wing which is once again..... fixed.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What about that is not a fixed wing? It does not go up or down at predetermined speeds on its own. It can only be adjusted manually while the vehicle is stationary and then stays in that fixed position until someone once again wrenches on it to change the height of the wing which is once again..... fixed.
It can be moved in little time with simple tools, thus it is not "fixed". It is manually adjustable to any height.

Your PVC pipe solution is "fixed", unless you want to take the rams completely apart to lower the wing and since the guts of the rams had to removed the wing will slide up and down on its own without the PVC pipes in place.

PVC pipe solution is a hack job. This adjustable solution is totally secure and yet a movable engineered solution.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Like I said. I sold mine in working condition after the second time it was replaced by the dealer. No need to Micky mouse with a perfectly working system. Sold it for good $ and I installed a well engineered system vs. hooky poky. That said, i like the Porsche Wing UP all the time. on the Down position it looks bland .
Yes, you made the right choice for you. I like my wing down for day to day driving and up for DEs.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Close to having the spoiler replaced...