Sponsored by:

gasoline smell/2003 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
gneypiks
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasoline smell/2003 996 turbo

Strong gasoline smell in the car after vehicle is parked.There is no smell when car is being driven.Car have been in and out of the workshop for the past one/two months and still cant find the source. so far have change the gasoline cap,vapor check valve( under the right fender liner) .Anyone having similar problem would appreciate hearing from them.Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Can you smell it outside the car when it's in a garage after being driven?

This is scary stuff - I had a fuel line leaking on my last car.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

It could be a cracked filler assy. What about the actual fuel cell? How is the fuel pump assy retaining ring? Is it cracked?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gneypiks
Strong gasoline smell in the car after vehicle is parked.There is no smell when car is being driven.Car have been in and out of the workshop for the past one/two months and still cant find the source. so far have change the gasoline cap,vapor check valve( under the right fender liner) .Anyone having similar problem would appreciate hearing from them.Thanks.
Just to drive this home: If you smell gasoline there is a fuel leak.

The leak can be anywhere, to state the obvious.

I do not like to mess around with fuel leaks. If your workshop hasn't found it yet I think you need to find another workshop.

I know of one Porsche, not a Turbo, that developed a gasoline smell and the cause was traced to a hole in the vapor line to/from the tank that runs under the 'tunnel' of the car. In this case, a mouse had gnawed a hole in the line only stopping I guess when he got a snoot fuel of high test fumes.

There was considerable other signs of mice having been at the car -- patches of carpet scrapped away (probably to use as nesting material).

Anyhow, in the case of your car, IIRC the car's fuel system -- tank, fuel lines, etc. -- can be "tested" using the proper Porsche diagnostic computer. Pressure is used to test for leaks.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
gneypiks
5th Gear

Recently installed FVD plenum and have to relocate the fuel filter,it was after this install that i began to experience the gasoline smell.No visible sign of gasoline anywhere.Thank you guys for the input,will update when i find the source.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gneypiks
Recently installed FVD plenum and have to relocate the fuel filter,it was after this install that i began to experience the gasoline smell.No visible sign of gasoline anywhere.Thank you guys for the input,will update when i find the source.
My experience, admittedly from some time back, is fuel lines, etc. are quite sturdy and able to take some handling without leaking, unless they can't.

That is say one has to be careful when working around fuel lines and such and yet even so things happen.

At the first sign of a fuel leak -- the smell is clue one -- lines and such that were last disturbed need to be checked out.

So, what this leads me to is this: Last thing touched first thing suspected.

Thus the fuel filter has a leaking hose, connector, or has simply developed a crack. It happens which is why new parts come with a warranty.

Also, the Turbo has a fuel cooler -- chilled by some refrigerant routed from the A/C compressor -- that if this cooler has developed a leak.

Or if the thing is not hooked up correctly fuel could be overheating and being forced out of a fitting or even a tiny crack/hole that it would not have otherwise been forced out of.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Check front wiring, just had a friend who's wiring melted and stunk like gas cuz it was leaking fumes.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue. Pulled in one night and the car reeked of Gasoline! For me, it was a hole in the fuel filter. In the stock position the filter is attached to a plastic "clip" on the Coolant Rez. Mine had broken allowing the filter to move around and eventually rubbed a hole in it. The car ran fine, but the fuel leak down made it hard to start after sitting. I was glad it was the filter...fairly easy to change and a zip tie fixed the clip issue.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

I just went through this and thought I would update as I found this thread when I was looking. We had strong fumes in the garage, no signs of any leaks in the car or garage floor. In certain situations you could even smell gas when driving with the top down. Took it in to a trusted independent and it turned out that a fuel line that runs across the lower part of the engine has a very small pin hole and was spraying vapor onto the engine! In our case, they think it was caused by the car, an '05 with 12K miles, spending too much time sitting. We now drive it daily but prior to our ownership it obviously wasn't driven much..

~$1300 as apparently this hose is very challenging to replace without pulling the motor. Sucks, but a fire would have been worse! If in doubt get it checked out is the moral of the story.

Quick Reply: gasoline smell/2003 996 turbo