Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Check Engine and Pressure Gauge Bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

An unprecedented 18months of pain and patience.

I hope the whole experience hasn't soured you on the car.

Enjoy it!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Bryce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems yet! Enjoying the car again.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Bryce
Instructor

It's been a few months since I checked in, but thought to update on my saga. After only 500 miles of driving, the car flashed CEL again. This time, it was cylinder 2 with a little pitter patter minor misfire. But it happened even at idle. Diagnosis, bad exhaust value. Probable cause: engine being timed incorrectly for a few months while the mechanic wanted to try everything before dropping the engine again. He did ultimately time the car correctly but the damage apparently had already been done to the exhaust value.

The most frustrating thing is that the mechanic just sits on the car for weeks at a time. He's had it since October or November.

I called the Porsche dealership to get a quote and am most likely going to tow it there and just get it done right and start fresh. I don't even mind the $8k it'll cost at this point. It's been 2 years this March.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Hey Bryce!
This is really painfull to read!
How do they know it's the cylinder nr 2 exhaust valve? Did they perform a leak down test? What's the leakage on that cylinder? It shouldn't be more than 10% on a healthy engine. They have to bring that cylinder to top dead center to determine where the leakage is... Do they even know what they're doing? Obviously they don't freakin' know what top dead center means since they've messed up the timing!
Once you have nr 2 to top dead center you can listen for air escaping thru the exhaust if that valve is stuck open.
Just take the car to someone that knows man...this is unbelivable! Run from there!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 AM
nigelhenry
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Man.
I'm just about to get my 03 TT and I have to tell ya, this story is freaking me out!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM
King_James
Instructor

All this story does for me is reinforce the reason why you go to the dealer in the first place. If they do it wrong, you get it fixed and don't pay again, plus it's highly unlikely they do it wrong in the first place... at least with my local Porsche dealer who is excellent and competes in extensive racing too so they have hugely knowledgeable techs..
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Bryce
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
How do they know it's the cylinder nr 2 exhaust valve?
I have a Durametric, and it reports Cylinder 2 misfires. I did a compression test and Cylinder 2 is like 10 lbs of pressure less than the other cylinders. I'm not sure how they determined exhaust valve, but whatever. The car has been towed to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bryce
I have a Durametric, and it reports Cylinder 2 misfires. I did a compression test and Cylinder 2 is like 10 lbs of pressure less than the other cylinders. I'm not sure how they determined exhaust valve, but whatever. The car has been towed to the dealer.
Compression test is not enough. You need to do a leak down test! That's how you determine...
Good thing you took it to the dealer.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by King_James
All this story does for me is reinforce the reason why you go to the dealer in the first place. If they do it wrong, you get it fixed and don't pay again, plus it's highly unlikely they do it wrong in the first place... at least with my local Porsche dealer who is excellent and competes in extensive racing too so they have hugely knowledgeable techs..
Or you take your car to an indy mechanic who isn't a complete idiot.

And save a ton of money....
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Bryce
Instructor

I have been waiting a long time to post the conclusion of this saga. I flat bedded the car to Walter's in Riverside, who tore down the top end and rebuilt it back up with anything that needed to be done. Basically I redid the whole job, along with a few parts the first shop ruined. Settled with first shop out of court for a few $k loss.

Walters did a great job. Car has been perfect three months, even drove LA to Tucson and back on a weekend to stress test and had a blast. It's so nice to have my car back!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:20 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bryce
I have been waiting a long time to post the conclusion of this saga. I flat bedded the car to Walter's in Riverside, who tore down the top end and rebuilt it back up with anything that needed to be done. Basically I redid the whole job, along with a few parts the first shop ruined. Settled with first shop out of court for a few $k loss.

Walters did a great job. Car has been perfect three months, even drove LA to Tucson and back on a weekend to stress test and had a blast. It's so nice to have my car back!
Did Walters tell you what was causing the cyl 2 misfires?
Old 08-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Bryce
Instructor

Yes, engine timed wrong, as well as broken solenoid bracket.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Nice Bryce!

Finally!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Wow, I hope the initial shop didn't tear down the motor due to the broken solenoid bracket....

Quick Reply: Flashing Check Engine and Pressure Gauge Bouncing