Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Ultimate Motorwerks experimental water-cooled K26/26

With my Stage 4 engine project getting closer to getting on the dyno. I thought that this thread could have some show and tell and some Q & A.

Last week I tossed a few cartridges together for the new engine. The enclosed picture shows the new Stage 4 turbine wheel (K26 frame size) in a machined water-cooled bearing housing ( water-cooling to reduce heat transfer thru the turbine wheel to bearing surfaces). The bright aluminum disk is called a Back plate, I CNC these backplates to hold my thrust components and thrust bearings stable at very tight tolerances for my Z/C process.

The next picture has a few additional pieces of hardware that I am introducing...

The following picture shows 5 compressor wheels, and my new K24/26 turbine housing. The new turbine housing is a new casting that I manufactured. This particular housing is machined to fit the above new water-cooled cartridge with the new K26 turbine wheel. I have explained in a previous post that this new turbine housing can be machined to fit the standard K24 X50 or GT2 turbine wheel. I also have flexability in the casting to allow me to also install the small K16 turbine wheel in it.

If you look hard enough at the top or discharge side of the turbine housing you will see a new CNC exhaust flange.. Within a few days I will post the test pictures of the new Exhaust system.. A few features and benifits of the new systems is "MADE in the USA" with 3" stainless tubing, custom rebuildable mufflers (4 per systems) with the abilitiy to remove 2 mufflers and install test tubes for the track to increase the "decibels" The CAT's will be German made 100 cell very large 5" diameter high flow cartridges. Each bank will also have multiple test bungs for additional widebands support and Pyrometer testing. I have a limited number of systems being hand built. Please realise that this system purpose is for "Race and track" applications that will meet all emission and retain all O2 sensors. While the design is to provide the maximum flow, it still will have sound reduction as a key concern and requirement. If anyone is interested in this system please email me...

And Finally lets have some fun.. I have enclosed in the above picture 5 compressor wheels.. Can anyone name what they are and application??

Last edited by Kevin; 10-16-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
And Finally lets have some fun.. I have enclosed in the above picture 5 compressor wheels.. Can anyone name what they are and application??
The top left wheel is for your new turbo, and the other four items are Ninja Warrior combat tools.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Way neat. Beautiful really (I was a machinist in grad school). If you have any duds, I would love to have one for my home office as a piece of art. Really.

Best wishes. Just a happy customer (see my .sig for my bias people....this is cool no matter who is your tuner....all tuners that do cool stuff should be supported IMHO).

Real purpose of the wheels is classified information AFAIK...quite usefull as anti-terrorist devices per Google. :-)

Or, perhaps they are the O's in Kevins hi-tech porsche turbo, signed, limitted-edition race driver tic-tac-toe 2007 edition game set. On ebay now for 9.95 plus 400$ for shipping. ;-) (the X's come from burned out power steering valves and pumps that we have a plethora of...they are black already, saving Kevin much trouble.....).

JB
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dock, you are getting warm.. A small hint.. 3 of the five compressor wheels shown come on factory Porsche's.

jcb, yes I have some pretty cool trashed out "turbo art" that would make nice paper weights...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
KPG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take one of each! Watercooled center section.... what else have you been holding out on us? That is some beautiful hardware. I cannot wait to see them in action. Kevin
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kev, now that you've got the water-cooled part finished, you can move on to the variable geometry turbine. Soon you'll be having us taking down 997TT. Yeehaa!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dock, you are getting warm.. A small hint.. 3 of the five compressor wheels shown come on factory Porsche's.

jcb, yes I have some pretty cool trashed out "turbo art" that would make nice paper weights...

Hey, I get first option.... (on the art)

Kevin, please send some "trash" my way....your trash is my art. A higher compliment I cannot give. All joking aside, I'd love some. You know my address, btw. If you need it, pm me.

Thank you!!!!!!

PS: Actually, water cooling makes SO much sense....nice job. I plan to move up in time.....and it looks to be a lot of fun down the road. This is great stuff.

JB
Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The top left wheel is for your new turbo, and the other four items are Ninja Warrior combat tools.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin, I'm curious, where does the water cooled turbo housing get it's water supply from? Is it connected to existing water supplies or is there a whole new setup that has to be added to the car?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Any changes to the wastegate in that turbine housing?
It looks like the coolant flow is parallel to the flow of oil, or does it make a 90 degree turn? I guess you designed it to clear the existing lines.
Land Jet, you tap into the existing coolant system.
Compressor wheels L to R my guess...bottom row looks like K24 (ball bearing?), K16, K24
Top row: K26, K28?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Larry, Porsche has installed locations to tap our cooling system. One such place is where the GT2 and GT3 tranny cooler gets it water in/out from. That is where I am making the connections.

Roadsterdoc, nice guess, but none are correct.
Wastegate circuit or actuators?? Yes, to both.

Last edited by Kevin; 10-16-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

WOW! you have been holding out! that looks amazing. Water cooled "nice"...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Roadsterdoc, nice guess, but none are correct.
Wastegate circuit or actuators?? Yes, to both.
Well at least send them to me so I can measure the inducer and exducer diameters.

Glad to hear you've done somehting with the WG itself. It would be nice to keep the WG gases from interfering with the turbine exhaust, and a larger valve would be nice too. Can you make a separate WG circuit to allow for an external WG? The common T3 variant provides for this. It's not as nice as WG gases exhausting directly from the manifold but better than dumping into the turbine outlet. Your thoughts?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What are the turbocharged Porsche's? MAtch up the wheel sizes to the different turbochargers. Once someone gets one wheel correct, it should be easy to fill in the blanks.

It's takes alot of cash and time to design and cast housings.. Anything can be made, it just requires alot of cash $$$.. Then what's the gain vs the dollars spent..
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Anything can be made, it just requires alot of cash $$$.. Then what's the gain vs the dollars spent..

So true.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks experimental water-cooled K26/26