5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Agree. The gearing on the 997.2rs is nice though...but prefer the free revving 996 (especially after you add a lwfw...my single favorite mod...just totally wakes the car up, responsiveness wise, even if it technically does not make the car any faster!). Thinking about doing the rs 3.89 ring and pinion, but my only hesitation is that I really don't want a shorter first gear (I think its just about perfect). A shorter second and third would be great for the street though, and would help add a little bit of torque, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, without messing with the overall feel or character of the car.
I have the cup 4.0 R&P in my car and it's perfect. Also have a LWFW, yes 1st gear is short ish but these things aren't drag cars so once you're out of the pits or in the corners 1st irrelevant . Having said that, I think it would easily do 11s down the 1/4!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFGT3
With the way you guys are talking about this car, you'd better drive it now before they skyrocket in value and you'll be compelled to NOT track it.
Sadly this is what has happened down under. None of the GT3s come out to play at the track anymore. The only RS you see are in the car park
Old 01-04-2017, 04:40 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pjjames512
I truly feel this car is the closest driving "experience" (possibly even better on the road) than the already legendary 911R. Having driven almost every modern day GT Porsche, even a friends R and previously owning a GT4, I am confident in that statement. My time with the 996 is pretty recent and early in its stages, but this car has stolen my heart. So much so that I sold my GT4 to fund the maniacal amount of work I am in the process of doing to mine. I haven't looked back for a second. The GT4 is a great chassis/great looking design inside and out but has an extremely underwhelming drivetrain. The gearing is terrible and the engine is basic. It is a refined GT car and those two words shouldn't be in the same sentence. The problems with the R are obvious. Too limited and expensive, can't use 500bhp on the road and it's a little wide and heavy. So why wouldn't you buy an ugly soap bar shaped 996, throw a LWFW and Guards diff in it, some Euro seats, monoball suspension bits and get a killer alignment? I have yet to find the argument for otherwise...

I had every opportunity to buy a 997.1 and .2 but didn't because it was overrated for the cost comparison to the 996. The story of how I came in to mine is actually pretty funny to me. I bought it to help a friend who was in need of cash, hoping to flip it for maybe $4-5k profit and be in and out. I drove it home from the dealer after its PPI expecting it to be a dated hunk of crap (having never driven it) and my mind was blown. The engine in this car is a f@$king legend!!! I then begun looking in to all the toys and aftermarket options for the car to basically work out the kinks and decided to part with the GT4 as it wasn't being driven anymore.

There are definitely things you HAVE to do to get these cars modernized. The diff is horrible and the front end is pretty bad. A LWFW and 997 headers/exhaust really take the experience to another level as well. So figure you get in to one for $60-$70k, pin the coolant lines and do the above modifications for another $10k, you're in for $75-$80k. You'll have a reliable car that quite realistically no one actually knows what its projected value is for the next 5-10 years...but I can probably guarantee you it won't fall much if any at all. These cars aren't a savings account though! They aren't a piece of property...they are FUN! And if my car was tomorrow worth $20k, I'd be ok with that because it is just a f@$cking awesome experience that no other modern day Porsche provides for its value. I don't want to get in to a car and push a sport button or damper button. I don't want different levels of drivers aids. I want a raw, simple, feedback derived road car.

That being said, I can't wait for years to come when guys like Singer and Magnus Walker are doing builds based off of this car. It is a future classic. Maybe not for its looks, but for its character beneath the skin. I love what one of the guys here said about the car being kind of like your wife. You grow to love her imperfections throughout the years. She may not be as physically pretty as the latest model...but she is yours and she is internally a masterpiece.

Happy New Years guys!
I'm very glad to read this.. this is what I've speculated on as I've not driven any of the other GT cars.

Originally Posted by jpw2b
I would agree with much of the sentiment above.

My experience:

I went from a 997 turbo that over the span of a few years got modified for track use, particularly suspension work. It was a rocket and a blast to drive. I also drove it religiously on the street, putting close to 50,000 miles on it over a period of three years.

However, as I became a more experienced driver, especially on the track, I began to yearn for a car with more analog feel. I therefore sold the 997, and got into a fully track prepped 1978 911 SC. It was very barely street legal, and so I drove it only sparingly on the street. My time with it on the track however taught me much about driving. It also taught me much about the feel of an analog 911. It was obviously much, much slower. However the enjoyment of driving was immense!

As time went on I wanted a car that I could actually drive a bit more on the street than the 1978 SC. The opportunity presented itself to buy a Low mileage 996 GT3 with most of the basic track prep already done: euro seats, rollbar, suspension work with proper alignment, LWFW and cup car clutch. I have subsequently done coolant line pinning, and the diff will be changed out in the near future.

I feel like driving this car sits in between the modified 997 turbo and the track prepped 1978 SC. Clearly I am back in a world of significant horsepower and straight line speed, although certainly not within the realm of the modified 997 turbo. Still, it has more benefits speed to make me respect it, and at times scare the crap out of me, while still providing year-to-year grins anytime I have the opportunity to get near redline. It also makes use of all of the skill that I gained driving the 1978SC on the track and more. I certainly do not get as much track time as I would like, but I certainly have a long, long way to go before being able to drive this car to its fullest capability.

On the street, it is a comfortable dream in comparison to the 1978 SC track car. It has a radio, air conditioner, heat that works. Sure, it is not as comfortable as the 997 turbo, however I had modified that as well. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I certainly do enjoy driving the 996 GT3 on the street. I do live in and uncrowded city with a 17 mile commute to work that involves only three traffic lights. I do understand that it would be no fun at all in heavy urban traffic.

In my mind, there is simply nothing like it. By it! Drive it! Enjoy it! If you happen to break even on the dollars then so much the better....
Also glad to read this.. would love the brute force of the 997TT in the stable though Or maybe a track rat 996TT!

Originally Posted by mooty
^ right on
i like my gt4 very nice car
i don't like 996gt3 but i keep coming back to buy them. it gets under ur skin.

997gt3/rs is also really good but in different ways.

with all that, the 6 will have its place in p car
pantheon.

as to value for 105000 mile
gt3 no help as there are likely less than 10 cars with that mile world wide.
there a reason why ppl turn kits off in bed room
if it feels good it s good.
if i can't see u, i won't have nightmares

996 is like
that.
They always get under my skin when the lights are off

LOL great quotes Mooty
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I have the cup 4.0 R&P in my car and it's perfect. Also have a LWFW, yes 1st gear is short ish but these things aren't drag cars so once you're out of the pits or in the corners 1st irrelevant . Having said that, I think it would easily do 11s down the 1/4!
Best mods ever on a 6GT3. Add a 997 center exit exhaust and tune and it's everything you want in a car.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Best mods ever on a 6GT3. Add a 997 center exit exhaust and tune and it's everything you want in a car.

Mine isn't 997 but it's loud!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine isn't 997 but it's loud!
👍👍
Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

in the US it seems the 996 is still regarded as the ugly dog and perhaps those who aren't in the know assume it's a dog of a car because of its looks.
Not looking fast makes it all the more fun when you pass them...
Old 01-05-2017, 10:57 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

I drive mine as often as I can in track season. 14k track miles on it and still going strong.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ what color is taht? slate or seal?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

^ what color is taht? slate or seal?
It's 50 shades of fast whatever it is.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

It's slate. I have another 6GT3 that is seal. The red is getting changed this winter to something else (time for a change and to support the new shop).

It should be a bit faster this year Andy. Some changes at the end of last year and over the winter have dropped 10lbs per corner. Think I might try some slicks this year to
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

It's slate. I have another 6GT3 that is seal. The red is getting changed this winter to something else (time for a change and to support the new shop).

It should be a bit faster this year Andy. Some changes at the end of last year and over the winter have dropped 10lbs per corner. Think I might try some slicks this year to
mmuller - you can move those red accents over to my 996gt3. Its in need of some color....

Last edited by 177mph; 01-06-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Just qurois about your front and rear balance in downforce. Have you ever considered putting a cup rear wing on your car with such an aggressive front lip?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Just qurois about your front and rear balance in downforce. Have you ever considered putting a cup rear wing on your car with such an aggressive front lip?
It's actually just a cup splitter. It might look lower because it's ready to go in the trailer and the ramps are down in front of it. Cup splitters are a pretty common mod for track cars in the NE at least and certainly a lot cheaper than the stock one.

The balance of the car is perfect in my mind (tested up to 175mph this year at Pocono). It's very stable at high speed turn in but doesn't have the drag of the cup wing. I do run 8 deg spacers in the rear wing which seems to balance the front out nicely.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:05 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
mmuller - you can move those red accents over to my 996gt3. Its in need of some color....
It's time for color on your track car........

Quick Reply: 5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?