Armor All Over Spray

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Armor All Over Spray

Hi Team,

So before anyone beats me up...it wasn't me!!

So the owner before me (or before him) looks like they sprayed Armor All (or the like) on the dash and some got on the speedometer/rpm gauges.

I tried to remove with simple water, then Windex but no joy. Before I try anything else and make it worse has anyone got any bright ideas on how to remove this stuff??

Thanks!!

Mike
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey there,

I wouldn't imagine that Armorall would be so difficult to remove maybe all the silicon and other things in it make it difficult.

Maybe dishwashing detergent and hot water?? Might be good to start with that.

Failing that rubbing alcohol might be an option, perhaps diluted at first and as always attempt in an inconspicuous area!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick internet search turns up quite a few answers, the one that sounds best involves a high end acrylic aquarium polish called Nexum. Never use windex on plastic!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Thank you dan_189 and Boomvang for your help...

I'll give the dish soap a try and if that fails, the Nexum. I have a feeling it's something other than Armor All. Maybe that garbage that local car washes use or something.

Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by mleydekkers
Hi Team,

So before anyone beats me up...it wasn't me!!

So the owner before me (or before him) looks like they sprayed Armor All (or the like) on the dash and some got on the speedometer/rpm gauges.

I tried to remove with simple water, then Windex but no joy. Before I try anything else and make it worse has anyone got any bright ideas on how to remove this stuff??

Thanks!!

Mike
hey mike,

ive had this problem too.. Do you have white spots on the clear plastic of the gauges?

Remember, ArmorAll will absorb in plastics and in the case of Porsche's clear plastic gauge covers, the chemicals react causing it to cloud up.

Remidy:

Use a soft, non-abrasive lens cloth and put some rubbing alcohol on the cloth and gently rub the areas until you feel the cloth warm. It will take multiple times before it absorbs the oils in the clear plastics, but eventually it will clear up.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Thanks b3freak!

Exactly, small white spots on the clear plastic. After doing some additional research, I see a lot of people using rubbing alcohol for this. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I have the answer. It was meguairs VLR that caused your problem. Had the same thing happen to the plastic screen on my BMW (when I made my kids clean the car). Tried everything. Finally fixed it with a mild abrasive. I think I used meguairs ultimate polish, I think. If not, I used the meguairs ultimate compound.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

My go-to product for stains, discoloration, corrosion, tarnish, spots, etc. on anything plastic or metal is this stuff. I swear, it is a true miracle product. Last week, I even used it to go over the faded yellow lenses on my Boxte', and it took me 5 minutes or less to have them looking light-years better:

I buy it by the tub now.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I lied. I just remembered. I used meguiars plastx headlight polish. Worked like a charm but took a couple applications.

Getting old sucks.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I always wash the interior with hot water and fantastic, or simple green, Ive never met anything it wont take off
Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 AM
williamr91
Pro

Nice, most of the car's I've owned have had this problem, hell even new leases have after being 'cleaned' by the dealer.

Never thought about it, just thought it was over spray from leather cleaner or something. I'm going to do this this weekend Hope it works for you too OP. Cuda where can I get Flitz, like Home Depot or Lowes?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM
williamr91
Pro

^ yes HD you can...Google to the rescue. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flitz-1-7...A&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by williamr91
Cuda where can I get Flitz, like Home Depot or Lowes?
I would recommend ordering online. That Home Depot link above looks expensive.

I buy it at the San Diego County Fair. They have Flitz demo booths at almost all big county fairs, and there is always a "Fair Special" price. I buy a can of it (about 16 oz). for $50 and they throw in some freebies too. This stuff also polishes metal FAR better than any other product.... try it.... you will be AMAZED! [No, I have no affiliation with the company, just a big fan of the product.]
Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM
mleydekkers
Intermediate

Thanks Cuda, I just ordered the Flitz on Amazon. Seems like just a good thing to have around the shop!

Mike
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

When it shows up, take a tarnished penny, and use a little dab of the stuff on a soft cloth to polish it.... it will be mirror-bright in seconds.

Sometimes there are "mystery" stains on my wheels from some crap on the road. This stuff always works, where other products fail. I use it on my chrome exhaust tips to make them sparkle.

Quick Reply: Armor All Over Spray