996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Weeping AOS line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You can see that plastic bracket in the middle of the pic that supports the aos hose (at the lower part of the bracket), the starter y-cable and some other few wire harness.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

My '04 C2 does not have the support block shown in your picture, or at least if there is one in there it isn't doing anything with the AOS hose. Not a very good picture but if you look closely you can see the AOS hose zip tied to the intake runner.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2017, 07:42 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks guys for the pics guys much appreciated. Interestingly my AOS hose was only zip tied to the intake runner there wasn't anything else holding it in place. Next time I'm in there ill see if there are any other places that the hose should clip into.

I recently had my starter Y cable replaced at the OPC who knows what they did in there. The Y cable actually wasn't clipped into a place it should have been. After tackling this I could have done that cable myself.

Just encourages me to DIY more when I see things like that and corners being cut by the OPC. Maybe the majority of people don't care but in my opinion that clip or tie or whatever it might be was put there for a reason.

Anyway back to that second zip tie it might be a tip thing being there is additional lines for the transmission etc.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
My '04 C2 does not have the support block shown in your picture, or at least if there is one in there it isn't doing anything with the AOS hose. Not a very good picture but if you look closely you can see the AOS hose zip tied to the intake runner.
​​​​​​Rockhouse was there only a single zip tie for your hose as well?

On my 04' there was only one but if there was a second it might have been cut by the dealership for more access when they replaced my Y starter cable?

I might order another tie just in case. IMO the higher and further away from the bloc​​​​​k and from heat the hose sits (even by a few inches) the better for its longevity? Although the current one lasted from 04'.

Currently have realised that this has been well overthought haha.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes just the one zip tie. I must have made a routing error somewhere installing my new AOS hose because I could not get the hose up high enough to reach that intake runner so did not (could not) zip tie it back into the original position up snug against the intake.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:05 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Yes just the one zip tie. I must have made a routing error somewhere installing my new AOS hose because I could not get the hose up high enough to reach that intake runner so did not (could not) zip tie it back into the original position up snug against the intake.
Thanks rockhouse, same as mine only one zip tie

With the routing from memory it was through the 2nd and 3rd intake then through the 4th and 5th on the other side.

​​​​​
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threads like this one make me love this site. You guys are rockstars!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:55 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Threads like this one make me love this site. You guys are rockstars!
​​​​​​
Glad you like it! Just another day in the life of 996 owners haha! Helps when you have guys like Ashai and rockhouse to give you assistance too.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:15 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Gents, one last thing to add to this, if you want the correct size cable tie for the 2nd intake runner its:

N 02 090 63

Officially comes from a 944 but is the exact size needed and even has the same marking on it (not that anyone might care!).

Anyway part is shared across Audi, VW and maybe Skoda as well so they might keep them in stock.

If you don't care tie two smaller ones together and call it a day! I wanted the challenge of finding the right size so was more about the chase than anything haha.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

People, take some (reference) pictures before dismantling things!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:37 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by 808Bill
People, take some (reference) pictures before dismantling things!
I have pics do you need some?

This job doesn't have many reference pics as everything is mostly hidden.

The AOS side of the hose has to be done by feel.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:20 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I have pics do you need some?

This job doesn't have many reference pics as everything is mostly hidden.

The AOS side of the hose has to be done by feel.
my hose (#4) is leaking from chafing on a bracket under the right side manifold. This is all great info. Thanks!
I temp repaired the hose until i need to do other work on top.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by moburki
my hose (#4) is leaking from chafing on a bracket under the right side manifold. This is all great info. Thanks!
I temp repaired the hose until i need to do other work on top.
Glad we could help, I think my hose was rubbing against the coolant tank sensor which over time created a hole. Order the extra large cable tie around the 2nd resonance tube and pull it in a little that will help with the clearance between that sender/sensor and the hose.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 AM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan_189
Okay! Got this done today, steps I followed were:

1. Remove air box
2. Remove throttle body
3. Remove 1st T plenum
4. Un-do 2 10mm bolts on the bank 4-6 side
5. Reach around the back of the engine (AOS side) unplug hose, its tricky but it comes off
6. Cut cable tie holding the cable in place (under the right side of the 2nd plenum)
7. Pull out old hose
8. Route new hose start with bank 4-6 side first
9. Route AOS hose side through 2nd intake runners (back between 4-5) then across through 2-3
10. Route hose down past coolant tank
11. Reach in and plug AOS side in
12. Cable tie hose to 2nd plenum (factory is 6mm x 500mm cable tie)
13. Re assemble - T plenum, throttle, airbox
14. Test drive

Only thing that would have been useful to know was that there is a 6mm x 500mm cable tie holding it in place. Hopefully someone else finds this useful in the future!

Only one thing forgot to connect my MAF for a few mins so turned off plugged it in, does this affect the maps? Also do I need to perform the throttle rest procedure (car is 04' drive by wire/e-gas).

Thanks!!
Having just replaced my AOS, I suspect #5 will be the biggie for most. I tried to disconnect the tube from the AOS for a short time, but figured this would be easier once the AOS was out- which it was. Still, a nice summary and I may have to do this sometime in the future - when snaking my old tube through the manifold I think I may have heard it crack, but couldn't find for sure a break. Car seems to run fine, but only time will tell. Any other symptoms besides the weeping oil noted before you replaced the vent tube?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:40 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Number 5 was definitely the hardest in that list, you have to basically work by feel however not an impossible task it does take some patience.

The tube becomes brittle from the heat and can develop very small holes, however other than it leaking out oil over time there were no other symptoms.

I was actually checking my engine mounts from underneath when I noticed that the hose was covered in oil. Not enough to leak on the ground but enough to coat the hose so I knew something was wrong, luckily it was just that hose.

Quick Reply: Weeping AOS line?