Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:39 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to look for the article about the radio. It was in Porsche Klassik number 7 (01.2015).

Here is a photo of the picture of the radio in a 996.

Classic Radio in a non-MOST 996 (from Porsche Klassik magazine issue 7.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:43 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
I like that. I have the same concern about getting rid of my PCM. I don't want anything too modern looking - it really clashes with the 996 interior.

Any details on your deck? Link?

Thanks!

Here the links... Crutchfield has dropped the price even more which may mean they are about to discontinue the unit. I started out with a single DIN Blaupunkt, but I explored the reviews on the New Jersey and made the decision to upgrade. It has a much better tuner and more EQ controls... also supports 6-channel amps.

Anyway, here are the links:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_023NJ2...tp=72406&avf=N

and, I also changed out my amp.... They discontinued the exact model I purchase, but here's the closest one...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_023GTA....html?tp=70135
Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by b3freak
Going back to a PCM1? You sure about that? Do you have lots of cassette in your library?
First thing I did was add an AUX port on my PCM1!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^Smart man! Wish you could do that on the PCM2, but since it's MOST, well thats another story. ha!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 PM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by b3freak
Here the links... Crutchfield has dropped the price even more which may mean they are about to discontinue the unit. I started out with a single DIN Blaupunkt, but I explored the reviews on the New Jersey and made the decision to upgrade. It has a much better tuner and more EQ controls... also supports 6-channel amps.

Anyway, here are the links:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_023NJ2...tp=72406&avf=N

and, I also changed out my amp.... They discontinued the exact model I purchase, but here's the closest one...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_023GTA....html?tp=70135
Thank you! I am going to order. Since I have an MK1 car w/o most (and I don't have an amp either) I think it should be a pretty straight forward swap, no? Strange that Crutchfield can't sell me a harness for the car either.

Also, I assume no dash kit is required since it's a straight swap DIN to DIN?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:34 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

I should probably start my own thread, but what about something like this?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTR....html?tp=70135

I could stream music directly to the amp via bluetooth, and then not even have to worry about having a HU at all. Just need to hide a charging cable somewhere and it should be all set.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stan23
Thank you! I am going to order. Since I have an MK1 car w/o most (and I don't have an amp either) I think it should be a pretty straight forward swap, no? Strange that Crutchfield can't sell me a harness for the car either.

Also, I assume no dash kit is required since it's a straight swap DIN to DIN?
Just be mindful of the wiring.... don't get'm crossed (no pun intended)! The wiring harness can be purchased from CAI or you might even find one decent on eBay.
Instead of buying double DIN mounting adapter, I used the mounting cage that Blaupunkt included, but I had to modify it to work. You'll have a little bit of a gap above the unit. I modified the old AC bezel for mine and used the stock Blaupunkt bezel. If that concerns you, you might want to buy the bezel/cage from CAI too or buy the cheapo from Metra. Again, the PCM has the full bezel design, but the Blaupunkt will need an adapter or modification.

Here's your cheapest option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182346632147...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Suncoast Porsche double DIN adapter/cage bezel is better...
http://suncoastparts.com/product/9X6DDIN.html

Here's a closer view of mine. Hope that helps!

Old 02-03-2017, 10:34 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the new owner of a 1999 996 that came with the tape deck and changer in the trunk. Base system otherwise. I'm leaning heavily in this direction since it would give me all the connectivity I need/want and also get rid of the dated looking tape deck unit while still retaining a stock-ish look. It seems to me that all the information that states that the Classic Radio unit won't work with 996s has refer only to the MOST system (which I don't have). Before I pull the trigger, I would love to hear from someone that has installed it or has spoken with someone that has it in their 996 (the photo from the Klassic issue is obviously encouraging--thanks for posting).
Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Vandalizer,

Originally Posted by Vandalizer
I'm the new owner of a 1999 996 that came with the tape deck and changer in the trunk. Base system otherwise. I'm leaning heavily in this direction since it would give me all the connectivity I need/want and also get rid of the dated looking tape deck unit while still retaining a stock-ish look. It seems to me that all the information that states that the Classic Radio unit won't work with 996s has refer only to the MOST system (which I don't have). Before I pull the trigger, I would love to hear from someone that has installed it or has spoken with someone that has it in their 996 (the photo from the Klassic issue is obviously encouraging--thanks for posting).
I'm saving up my lunch money for one but since I carry my lunch, it is going to take a while...

I cannot post the text from the Porsche Klassik article but I can talk about their findings.

They tried the radio in eleven different Porsches including various air-cooled 911 variants, a 914, a 959, a 924, 944, 968 and 928. Finally they tried it in a 996 Turbo with the pre-MOST Bose system. They said that even though the literature said through-993, they felt it would work so they tried it and it worked fine. In fact they really liked it with the Bose system.

My take is that the pre-MOST 996 systems were the same as in the early 986s which was the same as in the 993s. No reason it should not just drop right in. The one issue may be, but I just don't know at this point, is the alarm system switch. Since the switch is defeated for any aftermarket stereo anyway, it is essentially a non-issue either way.
The following users liked this post:
escreation (03-20-2021)
Old 02-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Thanks, Tharbin. That is helpful. I tried to find the article online but could only find that I could purchase the full edition from Amazon so your summary is very much appreciated. That's encouraging information and probably enough for me to be the guinea pig of the group. I'll let everyone know if I move forward and if so, how it works.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:31 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Vandalizer,

One thing to note. The USB/iPod connector is a dongle block that you have to mount somewhere. They are not just on the front plate of the unit somewhere. It probably looks better that way but thought you should know up front.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Thanks. My plan is to mount the block in the to-be-removed cassette holder. The one thing I'm concerned about, and it was raised above, is whether the radio clips into place via the existing clips. I guess I haven't done enough radio installs to know whether the clips on the bottom of the stock radio will line up with the clips on the classic which look like they are in the middle on the side.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Welp, I pulled the trigger. It should arrive early next week and I'll have a chance to install it next weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Vandalizer
Advanced

Update. I received the Porsche Classic Radio last week and started installation last night. I pulled out the old tape deck and mounting bracket. I drilled a hole in the bottom storage shelf and mounted the USB/Ipad media connector there. I had to sand down the sides of the radio opening to fit the new mounting bracket in place. It was almost imperceptibly larger than the existing hole. I ran the mic cable with the mic placed on the driver's side A pillar adjacent to the visor.

I have to finish routing the mic and media connector wires. I also have to run the GPS antenna wire. This is something I am not at all excited about. The instructions say to place it on the dash in front or parcel shelf in back. Neither of these options appeal to me. Given how little I expect to use the GPS on the PCR (I expect to just use my phone as usual), I may skip it or mount it in the storage shelf.

I probably won't get to finishing the install until this weekend but I'll post pictures when I do.

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?