Sponsored by:

Fluid leak just under where the shifter sits - CEL turned on

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fluid leak just under where the shifter sits - CEL turned on

After about 7000 trouble free miles across all kinds of surfaces all over the US the two weeks in Los Angeles seem to have done some damage:

While driving back in stop and go traffic today the CEL came on. First time, fear crept up inside me. Drove the car a few miles home. Upon pulling into the garage, I discovered drips of fluid on the floor. Tracing the fluids back I found a rather fast dripping leak behind the front wheels in the center of the car, just below where the shifter is. The puddle was growing in size quite rapidly, up to 7 or so inches in diameter. An hour later it still drips, but much slower.

I tried to dissolve the fluid in water, but the results were unclear. The engine is still too hot to check the power steering fluid, the coolant seems to be at the level it was for weeks.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? I've got an appointment with the shop monday morning (unrelated, wanted to get the loose steering checked out), but I'm afraid I might not make it there. Should I be scared or not?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You say you are having loose steering checked at shop Monday and (is it related?). Hell yeh it's related. Don't drive it any more. Have it lifted to the shop.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^ tow it
Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

What color is the fluid? Is it oily? You have a/c drains in that area

Instead of freaking out, I'd get the code scanned and do more research on the fluid
Old 06-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Front or midsection leaks will be either coolant or brake fluid. No CEF worries.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Take a breath and think about it. First, check all fluid levels, oil, coolant, power steering, etc. and see if anything is amiss. You didn't say if the fluid under the car is oily or slippery. Smell is a good way to test it. If it smells sweet then coolant. A CEL may be unrelated as it relates to mainly engine emission controls and engine running parameters, not a fluid leak. Do you know anyone (or yourself) that has an OBDII reader and can check the code? A local autozone will do it for free. That will give you more information to go on. Also, LA and stop and go traffic...maybe the leak is condensate from the AC and the CEL is a separate issue. Here in FL my AC is running full blast most of the time and because it is so humid, water just pours out of the condensate drain leaving a huge puddle under the car, even after being parked for awhile.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

DBJoe,

I calmed down, read some in the service manual, tried to figure out what fluid it is.

Power steering fluid levels are normal. Coolant levels are normal. Brake fluid levels are normal. Oil levels are normal (though it was clear it wasn't oil from color/viscosity).

I'll try to get my hands on an OBD reader before I drive her to the shop on Monday.

Thanks for the calming words, AC is something I didn't think about.

I'll update once it's solved.

Quick Reply: Fluid leak just under where the shifter sits - CEL turned on