Sponsored by:

This is how the IMS Class Action should have been settled

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is how the IMS Class Action should have been settled

100% cost of the IMS repair at a Porsche dealer, extend all warranties to 7 years/100,000 miles, big cash payout for the grenaded engine AND compensation for loss resale value due to the IMS issue.

The Mini Cooper had a similar issue as the 996 engine that also grenaded the entire BMW engine. This is the just approved Mini Cooper settlement. Compare and contrast it with the 996 IMS class action settlement. Night and day difference. I must say Porsche owners got screwed.

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-s...on-settlement/
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

It's almost like different facts lead to different conclusions.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:19 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by DTMiller
It's almost like different facts lead to different conclusions.
Hardly, both were major design defects that caused the engines to grenade prematurely (some at 20,000 miles or less). Both manufacturers denied it for years, fixed those under warranty (some multiple times) and good-willed some (but not all) that fell outside warranty. Both owners went looking for aftermarket solutions or sold their cars in disgust hitting resale values hard. Both had class action lawsuits and both manufacturers removed the design entirely in the latest generation engine. Sound familiar? Only difference is the Porsche class action plaintiff lawyers took the money and ran.

Thankfully, my car fell outside the Porsche class action settlement by a few months.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
Only difference is the Porsche class action plaintiff lawyers took the money and ran.
Not that they didn't make a nice pay day I'm sure, but go look at the result of any class action against PCNA. They are all crap for the actual car owners and the common thread is PCNA.

As far as the issue, just because the end result is the same doesn't mean that the pertinent facts are the same.

I don't know the history of the Mini's issue and it appears that trying to get a quick grasp of it is as muddled and messy as our own IMSB issue, so I can't really compare the particulars.

Regardless there isn't much point whining about it as it's done now. We know we should just treat it as a serviceable part and replace it every so often. Time to move on and think of it no more than the water pump which needs replacing periodically.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
Regardless there isn't much point whining about it as it's done now. We know we should just treat it as a serviceable part and replace it every so often. Time to move on and think of it no more than the water pump which needs replacing periodically.

IMS issues and lawsuit aside, I still get a kick that we expect and almost demand that a decently high performance engine go up to and past 100k miles and still be a pretty decent performance engine now 10-15 years later...
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Every car has issues. My 997.2 just through a CEL with only 16k miles. The problem? The idiot owner didn't screw the gas cap down properly causing a small leak in the evap system.

I'm writing PCNA for a full refund...plus I'm calling Jake Raby to complain...
Old 01-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I'm writing PCNA for a full refund...plus I'm calling Jake Raby to complain...

Wasn't there talk about his gas cap soultion last year?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac

IMS issues and lawsuit aside, I still get a kick that we expect and almost demand that a decently high performance engine go up to and past 100k miles and still be a pretty decent performance engine now 10-15 years later...

I don't get why people think getting 100k out of their 100k super car is crazy. blows my mind some of these well maintained cars can't make it pass 60k. I doubled the horsepower and torque on most of my previous vehicles, tracked them 4 or 5 times a year, and they all made it pass my porsche in terms of mileage. I don't think it's an insane expectation at all.

and honestly - Porsche should be brought to court over scored cylinders. it is my opinion that scored cylinders is a bigger problem than IMSB issues.

I tried getting a thread started to ask about the folks affected by scored cylinders....but crickets. they exist as we see them post every once in a while in other threads.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There was. Basically it involved a mechanism in the gas cap that made a "clicking" sound when the cap was fully engaged. Apparantly, it fell on deaf ears...
Old 01-14-2016, 10:41 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Yeah but it required gold plating and there is only one moron around here dumb enough to do something like that...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
TAXFREE
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah but it required gold plating and there is only one moron around here dumb enough to do something like that...
Always one in every group
Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had an 08 Mini Cooper which my wife drove most of the time. When I heard about this defect in the tensioner system, I immediately stopped driving the car, and fixed the problem. It took me about $260 in parts, and several hours to get it done, and I never submitted anything to Mini. We sold it more than a year ago, at reduced price because of all the bad press the prices were affected. Even though I had already replaced the components in there that fail.

This is remarkably similar to the IMS fault and it looks like I'll be getting some money out of Mini for lost value although I doubt I'll get anything for me buying the parts and installing them myself. Prolly get a check for $40 or something two years from now.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Don't forget there are a lot more factors to blame why these problems (scoring/IMS) are so expensive these days. I am fairly new to the 996, but from past we used to get a Porsche crate engine for 10-12k and that has doubled. Simple supply and demand I am sure, but don't forget the prospectors. People like Raby and Martin go out and buy 996 engines, which makes them more scarce and eventually drives the overall price of new engines up. It's good business and I am not faulting them. My company does the same thing in technology.

At the end of the day we own a diva of a car and most knew that they were in for before buying. The real victims are the original owners. If I was them I would be pissed off to no end. But I know plenty of original 996 owners that went into dealers outside of the warranty and were taken care of. Its a lot different being the original owner and asking your dealer to take care of you versus myself being the 3rd owner.

Put this all together and I can see why anyone would get pissed off.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i see there is an interesting comment from the tinkerbell po cheerleader about gold-plating.....ya know da one wit the gold-plated imsb....ironic
Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by extanker
i see there is an interesting comment from the tinkerbell po cheerleader about gold-plating.....ya know da one wit the gold-plated imsb....ironic
WTF are you on about?

I think you are trying to insult me in some way or otherwise critique my commentary, but I'll be damned if I understand what you are saying.

Quick Reply: This is how the IMS Class Action should have been settled