Sponsored by:

Fender Rolling Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:15 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Rolling Concerns

I just rolled my fenders to make room for larger tires. I notice that the lip on the early 996's where double sheet metal thick. That is probably where the inner fender is mated to the outer fender.

As I rolled the fender, I heard a spot weld pop. I rolled the lip in to a u-shape.

What I noticed the edge of the inner fender lip is slightly exposed from rolling.

Attachment 929796

The pic is not clear. However, the black on the top is the outer fender lip and the white/silver in the middle is the inner fender protruding out.

As a result, there is not paint in the newly expose edge where the two panels shifted. Since panels are galvanized, should I be concerned about rust?

If so, how should I protect the metal.

Last edited by dnwong; 09-25-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm going to say that this guy will know the answer:

Old 04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there any earthly mechanical reason to bend the body of your car so that you can squeeze a tire that is normally too large for your car, onto it? I mean where does this end up..."BigFoot" Porsches?

The factory designed and built the car so that it is capable of doing 170+ mph dead stock out of the box on 17" rims. What are you trying to accomplish that will improve on that? The damage you have done to the body is no different than if you had an accident and the repair was second rate.

A girl once told me about walking into a famous singer's dressing room and finding him stuffing sweat socks into his underwear before he went on stage. Didn't help his singing any but I guess he liked the look. That is what this obsession with big wheels reminds me of.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Use some high quality marine or automotive gasket silicone and cut the end of the squeeze tube at the very tip so that the hole is small, like 1/16". Point it in between the separated metal panels and squeeze and drag it along the seam to (hopefully) fill. Sort of a pressure fill type thing. I wouldn't worry too much about the structural loss of a few spot welds.

John, Nice pic, you look a lot like your dad!

Cheers,
Paul - Vintage Prep!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Is there any earthly mechanical reason to bend the body of your car so that you can squeeze a tire that is normally too large for your car, onto it? I mean where does this end up..."BigFoot" Porsches?

The factory designed and built the car so that it is capable of doing 170+ mph dead stock out of the box on 17" rims. What are you trying to accomplish that will improve on that? The damage you have done to the body is no different than if you had an accident and the repair was second rate.

A girl once told me about walking into a famous singer's dressing room and finding him stuffing sweat socks into his underwear before he went on stage. Didn't help his singing any but I guess he liked the look. That is what this obsession with big wheels reminds me of.
You do realize that the factory produces cars for the masses and people modify those same cars to meet their personal needs.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnwong
I just rolled my fenders to make room for larger tires.

As I rolled the fender, I heard a spot weld pop. I rolled the lip in to a u-shape.

The pic is not clear. However, the black on the top is the outer fender lip and the white/silver in the middle is the inner fender protruding out.

As a result, there is not paint in the newly expose edge where the two panels shifted. Since panels are galvanized, should I be concerned about rust?

If so, how should I protect the metal.
Get us a better picture. That is awful.

You can hit the bare metal with some spray paint or touch up paint. While the metal is galvanized, paint offers protection to the bare metal.

A popped spot weld between the rolled fenders will have zero effect on your car.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

I should have mentioned that, dab some self etching galvanized primer on any bare metal.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the comments of John Ireland. WHY WHY WHY. I think a large dick should be in there somewhere. Oh Lord give me strength. You have to be the minus side of 25years of age to be making moves like those.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Actually there is a factory 996 update sent to all dealerships that specifies the exact procedure of bending and precisely where to CUT the metal flange near the bumper to fender interface that is the first area to rub on the rear. Specifically written for owners who want to fit slightly larger than stock wheels.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
WHY WHY WHY
Because Stance...

Old 04-20-2015, 04:43 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I easily understand the desire to customize for many different reasons and I'm on the plus side of seventy. Everybody has different tastes, to some its unforgivable to alter anything stock. To others stock in no way means its the best. I like the way the body looks and I like the 18 inch wheels, John seems to like the 17inch wheels, the OP likes bigger so he modified the car to fit, I say good, its his car and he should make it the way he likes it. The answer to WHY, WHY, WHY, is because he likes it, my question is WHY NOT?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
The answer to WHY, WHY, WHY, is because he likes it, my question is WHY NOT?

Nothing lasts forever, and more power to someone if they want to change things up, keep it stock, or drive it off a jump. It's their car, and who are we to tell anyone what to do with their stuff? I'm not at all saying we have to like what's done, just that they have a right to do it.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by p.vanderlinden
Actually there is a factory 996 update sent to all dealerships that specifies the exact procedure of bending and precisely where to CUT the metal flange near the bumper to fender interface that is the first area to rub on the rear. Specifically written for owners who want to fit slightly larger than stock wheels.
I heard about that TSB. Anyone have a link to it?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Nothing lasts forever, and more power to someone if they want to change things up, keep it stock, or drive it off a jump. It's their car, and who are we to tell anyone what to do with their stuff? I'm not at all saying we have to like what's done, just that they have a right to do it.
Besides, 10-15 years ago, the technology for bigger and wider tires was at its infancy, so manufactures used what was reasonable. Now, bigger tires and wheels are the trend, and car manufactures are putting much larger shoes on.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM
dnwong
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I have to agree wholeheartedly with the comments of John Ireland. WHY WHY WHY. I think a large dick should be in there somewhere. Oh Lord give me strength. You have to be the minus side of 25years of age to be making moves like those.
Actually, I am 50. But that is how the car came and I like the look and how it performs. So, I just trying to tweak to avoid potential problems. The car only bumps when hitting a dip at speed; so not that often and good tires are expensive.

Quick Reply: Fender Rolling Concerns