Sponsored by:

Buying '03-'04 996 C4S in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maui
Love my 04 C4s cab !! In 04 they came with a hard top !!
A very sweet ride. How is the road noise at highway speed...with soft top up compared to removable hard top...?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 AM
maui
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo
A very sweet ride. How is the road noise at highway speed...with soft top up compared to removable hard top...?
Really not much different , it has never been a problem , that being said I've only really done one real road trip (1500 miles to Florida and back) . Other than that I live on an Island so my normal rides are no more than a spin to Atlantic City and back (70 miles round trip) .
What was impressive was driving to Florida around Florance, S.Carolina I put the cruise on at 90mph and stayed there all the way to Sarasota Fla, did not miss a beat!!
When passing just touch the peddle and your at 120 in a blink !!! That's what it's all about ! Perfect touring car , think I'll do this again next fall after my restaurant closes
for the season!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:04 AM
maui
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
It is not apples to apples, but with the top up my Boxster is a quieter car than my Turbo. The Boxster is more softly sprung, has 17" wheels/tires (vs the 18" on the Turbo) and the top fits/seals very well and is lined. I no longer care for the top down experience so it has been some time (years, maybe a decade) since I have driven the Boxster with the top down. I have not experienced a Cab but I do not recall coming upon any posts by owners that would cause me to believe the Cab was a noisy car -- talking top up now -- or the top was prone to leaks. 'course, you need to drive comparable examples of both body styles to get first hand experience. And you have to really decide if the top down experience is really that compelling to have you opt for the heavier, more complex Cab vs.the coupe. While on paper and on the road the coupe has it over the Cab the difference is imho not compelling by itself to select one car over another. The only real criterion to picking a Cab instead of a coupe is if one whats the top down driving experience and he resides/drives in a region that supports this style of driving and is OK with driving about with the top down. I would not give any real weight to the thinking that the Cab would hold its value and better than a coupe. In fact the Cab would likely depreciate more. What I hear at the dealers is the only person who truly values the Cab, who is willing pay extra for Cab, is the first owner. 2nd and subsequent owners not so much. I have heard about the confrontations Cab owners and the dealer have when the Cab owner comes to talk trade in and learns first hand how far in value a car he valued so dearly when new has fallen. Buy a Cab if that is the driving experience you want. Or buy a coupe if that is the way you roll. Regardless of which car you buy buy a good one. But keep in mind the Cab will almost certainly depreciate more than its coupe counterpart.
Cabs are worth more if you look at what's out there for sale. $27-35k for coups , $39-43 Cabs
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Question

Howdy folks....Have looked at a few interesting cars since my last post, but still searching for the right combination of quality (maintenance records and PPI), appearance and price.... Question...does the stock Turbo suspension package on a 996 C4S make it sit lower than a stock 996 C4 of the same year (say 2002)? I've read some conflicting data.

On a related thought, is there anything different about the rear track with respect to capacity for wheel & tire size between the two? I understand the C4 came stock with 7x17 front and 9x17 rear wheels, but can it accommodate the 8x18 front & 11x18 rear? Is a change in offset/back spacing required to fit the wider wheel/tire combo? Or will it completely screw up the steering geometry?

Please advise...
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

One more question.....does anyone have a view on whether K&N cold air intake kits cause problems for the 996? I've read in one of the "expert" books moving away from the stock airbox set up can create some undefined engine problems....I installed one in my XJR before I left the US, and it worked very well once the engine management system settled.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Due diligence will find you a great 996. The forum is filled with cases of very high milage engines with as new IMS bearings. The increase from 1% to 6-8% failures of the bearing begins with the 3.6 engines and the combination of the change in bearing design and the introduction of the highly oil dependent Variocam-Plus. This can lead to the question of which failed first, the chicken or the egg. But even at a generous 8% failure rate the odds are dramatically in your favor...especially if you make space in your budget for addressing all the deferred maintanence in the car you buy.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by johnireland
Due diligence will find you a great 996. The forum is filled with cases of very high milage engines with as new IMS bearings. The increase from 1% to 6-8% failures of the bearing begins with the 3.6 engines and the combination of the change in bearing design and the introduction of the highly oil dependent Variocam-Plus. This can lead to the question of which failed first, the chicken or the egg. But even at a generous 8% failure rate the odds are dramatically in your favor...especially if you make space in your budget for addressing all the deferred maintanence in the car you buy.
Thanks. Makes a lot of sense..... Speaking of oil, I've read in a few posts that upgrading to a deeper/high capacity oil pan can materially reduce oil starvation due to cornering. Given that oil is the life blood of the engine, anything that makes it more available and cooler should be good no?

Any thoughts on installing a deeper oil pan as part of the initial work to make sure the machine is optimized?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo
Thanks. Makes a lot of sense..... Speaking of oil, I've read in a few posts that upgrading to a deeper/high capacity oil pan can materially reduce oil starvation due to cornering. Given that oil is the life blood of the engine, anything that makes it more available and cooler should be good no?

Any thoughts on installing a deeper oil pan as part of the initial work to make sure the machine is optimized?
To clarify....I don't intend to "track" the car, but do expect some spirited driving across the hills and dales of the German countryside, and its autobahns.

Quick Reply: Buying '03-'04 996 C4S in Germany