Sponsored by:

Ims beware

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ims beware

Just wanted to share some imteresting facts that i found today. Im a Porsche wrench and have been for 20+ years. Today i had a customers boxster that was making noise and had cam timing issues. Car has been to several shops with no solution but thousands spent to try and fix it.

First thing i notice is an IMS fix from Pedros Garage. I gather data to get a baseline and then i disconnected the line and plugged it up, started the engine and the noise is gone and cam timing is back to normal. I have not done more testing but saw enough to know that i will never put one of these on any motor ever!!

Chris

Last edited by amondc; 09-26-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Do you mean the IMS Solution from LN Engineering and Flat 6 Innovations?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

This is going to get good...

Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

This? http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoFix_DOF.html

Any speculation on how it created such problems?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting popcorn and mike and Ike's ready...good luck everyone.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Oil pressure robbed causes timing chain tensioners/variocam to collapse?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Fascinating... It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

that does it.....my indy shop gave the old parts as a memento like many others

I'm having them put back in

Last edited by Fracture; 09-26-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrimer
I'm getting popcorn and mike and Ike's ready...good luck everyone.
Goobers and Raisinets for me.

Still like to hear some logical scientific explanation on how plugging up oil feed can affect cam timing.

OP, can you confirm if the solution was installed correctly to begin with?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:50 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Not another IMS thread.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
This? http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoFix_DOF.html

Any speculation on how it created such problems?
This is the tech fix explanation from Pedros Garage ...
The problem has never been the bearing. It has been lack of lubrication.
With the technoFix DOF Kit we send a constant stream of filtered, cooled engine oil right onto the ***** of the intermediate shaft’s infamous bearing. DOF stands for Direct Oil Feed.

This is an easy installation requiring only the removal of the transmission, clutch/torque converter and flywheel. the engine stays in the car.Our technoFix DOF Kit will work on every M96/M97 engine from the first 2.5 liter Boxster from ’97 through the last Boxster, Cayman and Carrera through 2008.

We make three versions to cover all production years:

1.- For Double-Row IMS bearing shod cars
2.- For first generation single row IMS bearing shod cars
3.- For second generation large single row IMS bearing shod cars.

The technoFix DOF was engineered and extensively tested by Porsche enthusiasts and racers throughout several years of real-world applications.
The technoFix DOF is newly patented technology which we now keep in stock, ready to ship.

When you install the technoFix DOF we highly recommend that you also install a new IMS bearing at the same time. Our bearing kits are offered at very attractive prices, and we carry them in single-row and double-row, both in OEM steel-ball versions. The kits include the bearing, center support shaft with O-rings, nut and retaining clip.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Goobers and Raisinets for me.

Still like to hear some logical scientific explanation on how plugging up oil feed can affect cam timing.

OP, can you confirm if the solution was installed correctly to begin with?
Well, this can get kind of involved…

First though I have to say I do not think the cam timing was affected. More likely valve lifters were a bit starved for oil pressure, though if the oil pressure loss was enough chain tensioners and even the VarioCam or VarioCam Plus (variable lift) was affected.

Next I know next to nothing about the DOF "fix" for the IMSB other a general understanding of what it does.

But I do know it does have to get its oil supply from somewhere as there is not a specific oil feed for this add-on.

Now I would think that the line that taps into the oil supply would be sized to restrict/limit the amount of oil the DOF can take.

A problem could arise if this parasitic line had a manufacturing defect, say was missing an oil restricter jet and as such was diverting too much oil from the camshaft feed. Your question is quite on the mark asking if there is any confirmation the DOF was installed correctly and while you didn't ask this it along with that that the DOF hardware was intact and untampered with.

Now a problem could arise if the engine develops an internal oil leak. For instance under the camshaft cover. The camshaft cover and where it bolts to the head have oil passages that pass oil from the head to the cover. If the seal fails this can allow high pressure oil to leak out from between the head and the camshaft cover and this can really drop the oil pressure at least at that head.

If this is the side of the engine from which the DOF gets its oil this extra consumer of oil then can have the oil pressure at that head too low.

The internal oil leak doesn't have to be at the camshaft cover. It could be the valve in the oil line that feeds the piston oil jets. This valve is supposed to close if oil pressure drops too low to ensure the mains/rods get plenty of oil. If this jet doesn't close when it supposed to this can have the engine running with lower oil pressure. Toss in the oil the DOF requires and you have noise at the valve hardware.

I think it is a bit premature to condemn the DOF.

This does highlight the importance of ensuring this hardware is installed correctly and this should include -- if the instructions do not already cover this -- confirming oil pressure is ok by using a real oil pressure gage.

In fact it might not be a bad idea to take an oil pressure reading before installing the unit to verify the engine's oiling system is up to snuff and then be able to look at the after pressure to make sure the unit is not causing too big a pressure drop. If it does this could be a sign the unit is defective or the installation is somehow bad.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Yes its was Pedros fix DOF.

They take oil from the wrong part of the engine. It starves the cams, lifters etc.

It did effect cam timing and made the lifters noisy. As soon as it was removed the problems went away.

Only bank 1 was effected, not bank 2.

Im only posting my person findings and i am not here to promote anything. Just sharing what I found.

chris
Old 09-26-2014, 12:42 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by amondc
Yes its was Pedros fix DOF.

They take oil from the wrong part of the engine. It starves the cams, lifters etc.

It did effect cam timing and made the lifters noisy. As soon as it was removed the problems went away.

Only bank 1 was effected, not bank 2.

Im only posting my person findings and i am not here to promote anything. Just sharing what I found.

chris
Jake also pointed out that deficiency before but this is the first time I heard it really happens, barring any defects and installation errors.

Would have been obvious on a 996 which has the oil pressure sender in bank 1 and a pressure gauge in the cluster.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Since I am anti-IMS retrofit, kindly remind me again where the LN solution taps into vs Pedro's DOF?

I know they sold quite a few already. Wonder if others are having problems.

Quick Reply: Ims beware