Sponsored by:

996 CAB REAR PASSENGERS WINDOW INOP

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
996 FAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 CAB REAR PASSENGERS WINDOW INOP

I have a 99 996 Cab. At the end of the day, after a great drive with the Convertible top down, and all 4 windows down, I parked the car, placed emergency brake on and pressed console button which activates closing of the top and the 4 windows always rolls up closed. The top closed, but this time only 3 of the 4 windows closed as the top closed,..... the left rear passenger's window failed to close. After several efforts to close window with window switch, window still wont close. Could this be the window switch or top control problem or both?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe the window regulator and/or motor crapped out. Complete OEM assembly (regulator+ motor) is not cheap ($700+ for a new one) and around 2 hrs +/- labor (if you don't DIY). You can check ebay for used regulators (only) or complete assemblies. Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 AM
tmtownsley
Track Day

If it's the window regulator, as kromdom said, they are not cheap. I had one go bad on me a few months ago and I had it rebuilt by a local regulator repair shop in Dallas, TX for $140. Sure beats $700+ for a new one and it works great.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure the microswitch that the convertible top latch engages (at the top center of the windshield) is fully pressed in by the convertible top "hook". If the switch in hook "receptacle" hole isn't engaged, the small windows won't go up.

Since only one of your windows went up, this is unlikely to be the cause, but it's easy to check, so I thought I'd suggest it anyway.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TMTownsley,
I am in Dallas and have a regulator or motor "creaking". Can you tell me who rebuilt yours?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
tmtownsley
Track Day

rwii,
The guy that repaired my regulators name is Ismael. His number is 214-556-2604 I believe he is mobile and will come to you, but I just removed my regulators and dropped them off at his apartment. He claims he has been repairing regulators for over 15 years and I can't complain since it works and only cost $140. He will also remove and replace your door regulators for repairs, although he won't remove the rear cab regulator because he knows how much of a PITA it is. I pulled them out myself, dropped them off, and within two hours he had them done.
Travis
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My convertible top is working as should be right now. I stress the words 'right now' but for how long? God only knows. They are a Royal PITA at times. Have you tried opening and closing it via the 'key in the drivers door' method. Can't see it being that but hell anything is worth a try. One time all my windows did not come up from the dash button. I was about to walk away disgusted but tried the locking method in the door with the key and held it a couple of seconds to the (right or left) can't remember now and the windows came up. It never happened again.

Quick Reply: 996 CAB REAR PASSENGERS WINDOW INOP