Sponsored by:

Litronics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:51 AM
SP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Litronics

Can Litronic Headlights be changed from left to right hand drive by the flick of a switch ???

I'm sure I heard this somewhere. I've the chance of picking up a pair of so called LHD Litronic headlights for cheap and was hoping to be able to switch them to RHD and fit them to my car here in the UK.

Also, I'm only getting the actual headlight units themselves, no wiring loom or control unit thingy, are these the expensive bits to buy, or can I pick them up cheaply ??

Any help/comments/advice would be much appreciated.

SP
Old 07-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Litronics

Originally posted by SP
Can Litronic Headlights be changed from left to right hand drive by the flick of a switch ???
Not sure if that's correct as there are different headlight part numbers for left and right hand drive cars. There are, however, other cars' headlights which are switchable for left or right hand drive.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:09 AM
safetywork
Instructor

I've always been led to believe that the wiring for the lights was what made the lights work. I don't think its simply switching the light assembly themselves. But I could be wrong....
Old 07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Taffy
Track Day

I went down that route too but decided to install a RHD litronic kit.

As per the user manual you can switch from RHD to LHD (for RHD lights) but not sure of the other way for LHD lights. You may also have problems with LHD lights at the MOT time as the lenses may do some deflecting too.

As Viken said the units are available in both LHD and RHD form. I picked up my RHD kit from Gert at Carnewal.

I dont think the kit is available in the uk from the main dealer as it isn't self levelling - there are no body to chassis sensors fitted to non factory litronic cars..

Also it may be a little difficult to pick up the wiring loom and control box from somewhere.. and I'm not sure if these actual items are fitted to factory litronic cars (ie you could pick up from a breakers if they were)

Good luck,
Richard.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Litronics = Yes. Standard Halogen = No.

From the Service Manual:
"Note: Masking film for left/right-hand traffic must not be affixed to Litronic headlights. These headlights incorporate a changeover lever for driving in countries with left/right-hand traffic. This lever is located on the left and right on the housing in front of the gas discharge lamp.

Changing over Litronic headlights
1. Switch off the light. Release the headlight housing and pull out forwards slightly.
2. Disconnect the electrical plug connection of the automatic headlight beam adjustment and remove the headlight housing.
3. Release and open the cover with control module.
4. Push the changeover lever A to position T (tourist setting).

Installation
1. Lock the cover with control module and insert the headlight housing in the wing.
2. Engage the electrical plug connection of the automatic headlight beam adjustment and lock the headlight housing in the wing."

Quick Reply: Litronics