Sponsored by:

Replacement key for 996 2001 Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM
porschegrp5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key for 996 2001 Porsche

I once lost my key-fob for my 2001 Porsche Carrera.It was a nightmare because the dealer wanted a fortune to cut a new key and program it.I had to bring the car in and be without the car for 5 days.Fortunately I found my key and avoided the experience.Now my question is? How do get an extra key that open the door and start the car.Does the key have to be re-programmed,and is the Porsche dealer the only one that can it.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Keys have to be programed to the car and only a dealer can do it. They also need the bar code that comes with the new key. The first thing I was asked by the dealer was if the new key was a genuine Porsche key and had the bar code on the packaging. Otherwise, they didn't want any part of it. $129 to cut and program. I purchased the new key from Sunset Porsche.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Here is an option for the blade. Also you can find new remote heads for less than the dealer wants just make sure that the code is with it or it is just decorative.

and possible remote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-UN...8f11ac&vxp=mtr

Last edited by fpb111; 06-10-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have or can get pst2 programmer, even the older versions, you can do it yourself if you have a brand new key head or a used one that has the hex code. Just recently had this done in my driveway.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 for Key in the post. Paid $20 and received the blade in about a week from the UK. Bought a new key head from Sunset Porsche for about $135, then had my local dealer program it for about $100.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a question regarding this. When I go to keysinthepost.com, they are selling a key with a transponder for 45 pounds.

Is that what I need? Here is the info from their website:

https://keysinthepost.com/product/po...nsponder-chip/

Alpine003: You said you did this in your driveway, want to do this in my driveway?

I did call Chicago Performance and Tuning, and it appears they might be able to do it based on the tools required in this post.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Dinicod
Racer

^^^ I'm interested in the answer to Paul's question too! Not the driveway part, the "is this what I need part". LOL
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

It will start and unlock the car but does not have the remote function.

If all you want is a valet key there are many cheaper options. You can buy a used key and get it programmed or get just a valet key from Porsche.

But they are by far the cheapest to get a spare blade. I got two spare blades from them and they work perfectly.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine in Great Brittain from Keys in the Post and it looks just like the one above from poster Paul Waterloo. It does everything but remotely unlock the doors. I have a cab and don't lock my doors. If they want in they'll cut the top and there's nothing in may car more valuable than the top. Hopefully the crack heads will just open the door and help themselves to the change and sunglasses. Anyway, the key works great and was a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:25 PM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you check with the local dealer first before doing anything if you plan on having them re-program. The dealer near me would not allow me to provide the key, they wanted me to purchase everything through them. Would have cost close to $350 that way so I decided to go without a spare.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice. Mine looked at me funny but did it. It costs them NOTHING.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Ok, so just to confirm for my dense self... keys in the post will give you a complete key, with the chip inside and the key code. If you choose to do so, all you have to do is go to a Porsche dealer and they can program it for you (for a million dollars!!!) and you have a fully working key.
Then again, the Porsche dealer could refuse to do so, if they so choose, because you didn't buy it from them... but that's another issue I suppose.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

only a dealer can do it.
No. RAC in Dallas does them. @$200.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinicod
Ok, so just to confirm for my dense self... keys in the post will give you a complete key, with the chip inside and the key code. If you choose to do so, all you have to do is go to a Porsche dealer and they can program it for you (for a million dollars!!!) and you have a fully working key.
Then again, the Porsche dealer could refuse to do so, if they so choose, because you didn't buy it from them... but that's another issue I suppose.
No. There are three parts to a Porsche key. Not sure that the correct terms are but these make sense to me. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding.

1 - the blade - it will turn the locks and open the doors and turn the ignition but not start the

2 - the pill - this is a little transmitter in the fob that allows the car to start. I think it something like an RFID

3 - the computer board. Inside the Porsche fob there is a little computer board that is used for the remote lock and unlock and alarm.

To get a fully functioning key you need all 3.

In order to program the computer board and have full function you need the 16 digit code that comes with a new fob. So you can not get a used key and program it to work.

The one from keys in the post has the blade and the "pill". This can be programmed to start the car but will not remotely lock/unlock and arm the alarm. It is more of a valet key.

I do not think you need a code to program the "pill" so you could get a used key off ebay if that is all you want. Or you can order the one from keys in the post. Or you can order a valet key from Porsche. I don't remember the cost but it was not expensive.

To get any of them programmed you have to take it to a dealer who has access to the PSWISI thingy or whatever kind of computer they have. I don't think a durametric will do it.

The dealer charged me for 15 minutes of time to program 3 keys. 2 full function and 1 valet.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Dinicod
Racer

"No. RAC in Dallas does them. @$200."

So does this mean it can be done aftermarket and/or anyone cane order one from RAC.

And what does "RAC" mean/stand for?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Replacement key for 996 2001 Porsche