Another 996 down

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I've yet to view the YouTube clip or go FSI's FB page to learn the real cause of OP’s engine issue, but I’m happy to sense in today’s development that this is going to have a much better outcome than OP had initially feared. However I will say that I am glad someone like Jake and his staff are out there coming up with solution(s), and market them successfuly, it's a business for FSI that resulted from being passionate with what Jake and his staff seem to excel.

It’s a free democratic country, if an owner of these cars doesn't think the IMSB will ever blow and won't bother changing it, then don’t, that's the owner’s prerogative and decision, it’s his/her car so no one here is stopping them.

Remember SacTownGuy? He is at least one of those who did suffer (likely) the IMSB related failure recently, we won’t know for sure since Porsche again hush-hush’ed his repair through just like how Porsche dealt with other 996 and even 997 engine failures in the past, if these engine failures are not at least partially real, or completely un-related to IMSB, why hasn't Porsche provided the facts and stand up behind their design and product?!

I suggest the conspiracy theory folks who believe IMSB issues are 100% figment of Jake’s imagination, should be aiming your anger and energy towards Porsche to get an official statement that Porsche’s IMSB is a perfectly good and bulletproof design, this will conclusively prove Jake to be wrong and Porsche to be right, rather than throwing innuendos toward someone who has genuinely spent the time, expense, and energy to develop products and services that can help minimize this potentially catastrophic issue.

Hopefully the thread and posts will continue under positive lights, it has been an educational couple of days reading through the posts.
Lets not miss the point here. The title of the thread was "Another 996 down". That speaks for itself. Turns out, it wasn't a catastrophic failure and nothing to do with the IMS.

Billyboy...remember him? Not the IMS.

SacTown, yes. One out of how many. No one can say.

To call those of us that don't believe the IMS hype "conspiracy theorists", well, that's like saying I am crazy for not believing in Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster (from MY perspective).

To focus my "anger and energy towards Porsche" to get them to admit they don't have a problem--that I believe they don't have...convoluted logic at best.

I totally agree with your statement that we are all free to believe what we want to believe. I believe that yes, these engines fail. Yes, sometimes it is an IMS issue. Sometimes it is a cracked head. Sometimes it is a chain tensioner.

But the reality is that all cars fail 100% of the time. I just don't believe in putting a band aid on my finger just in case I get a cut. It certainly doesn't mean I don't think you should either. If it makes you sleep well at night, go for it.

And like I said before, Jake's marketing is excellent.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 35 Posts

What have I learned from this thread?

The IMS in Gonzo911's and DreamCarrera's 996s will never, ever fail.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not if you believe in Karma!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SacTown - lucked out - Porsche paid in full for his crate motor - yes he had to pay labor. Still don't know the details, but it was mentioned that the car had "major" engine work done shortly before he purchased it. I don't think his case is the norm yet Porsche provided a free engine on a used car well out of warranty. The servicing dealer, who I assume performed the "major" engine work, certainly had something to do with that. And, SacTown was well of aware of the "IMS Issue" yet posted more about his interest in mods and audio units - until the engine failed.

I am not a disbeliever in engine failure, just as I am not a disbeliever that lightning strikes people and some of those people die.

I still drive all of my cars, I still go outside in the rain.

And I am somewhat taken aback by how quickly Jake resorts to feigning that he is offended and "out of here" when he is quite outspoken and his accusitive remarks of "vendor haters" and some other less than appreciative descriptions of the members of this community.

He is out of here on one thread and appears immediately on another. If he is not marketing to some degree I wonder why he responded to a member who was asking for a cut away view of an AOS by saying "yes, there is one" - " it's in my new book, you'll need to wait until it comes out".

Not trying to spin things up but let's call it as it is. Doesn't mean it's bad or that it's wrong, but it is what it is.

Sometimes the "it's coming, something is coming, wait for it, it's coming and it's great, and I'm so busy you'll be lucky to be able to do business with me" reminds me of Apple's iPhone marketing. They are genius at creating artificial demand, selling before the product can be seen, selling more than they can fulfill, and having people feeling priveleged if they can actually purchase AND receive one. Their numbers prove that their "marketing" works.

There is nothing wrong with marketing - but again - it would be nice to call it what it is rather than to deny it and act like the involvement is altruistic.

In this case Jake could have divulged what he discovered about Gators engine, yet he directs us to his facebook. I personally have no interest in facebook so I guess I'll turn in and hope I awake for another day of enjoying my 60 mile round trip work commute in one of my 996's.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
,,,a member who was asking for a cut away view of an AOS...
Here's one...

From: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...res-later.html

<cough> another one from...

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...diaphragm.html

Quite the thread we have here.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

What kind of a car community is this when, those that know the most, flat 6 in this case, is only willing to release information, in a halfly answerd way, and is always based around money?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

While majority of us own a Porsche as a hobby, it should be obvious FSI is a business, a business is in the business of making money, it's not even a non-profit organization.

I might not like the price being asked, but i can't fault FSI for rightfully charging for intellectual knowledge the company invested its own time and expense to develope.

Last edited by aviography; 10-17-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

A very instructive tale.

I remember wondering when this thread first started why the dearth of diagnostic investigation instead of the rush to conclude that the motor was toast? I just had to replace an a********r on one of my other vehicles too…

I am glad for the OP that it turned out to be something completely different. In his case it apparently was not a whole lot more cost for him to have it transported to Flat-6 than to an alternative garage. However, for those of us further afield it still makes sense to have normal, basic, diagnosis done prior to rushing to a conclusion. Many of the more “diy” folk on here could/would have figured this one out on their own, or certainly any competent garage would have.

The funniest part was that I had to go to Flat-6’s Facebook page to discover the big secret by watching a video. There is much truth to the sentiment that they are master marketers. I have come to the same conclusion myself.

It does not negate the fact that they do great work, but, as another poster put it, “it is what it is”.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad it was a happy ending for OP. The Porsche belt tensioners must be REALLY effective.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Targatoo
Pro

I think this thread is priceless. Only the regular followers are gonna read through 9 pages of "he thinks, she thinks" so it's only relevant for those that have an opinion. It hasn't turned negative yet but there's still opportunity for Goodwin's Law to prevail!

It was a good read, fun to follow, great outcome (because $300 shipping is a bargain, because that about cheapest I could get to ship anywhere, let alone the most knowledgeable on the continent).
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing that is a fact is that Gator's avatar is hot.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Here's one...

From: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...res-later.html

<cough> another one from...

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...diaphragm.html

Quite the thread we have here.
Logray,

Thanks for the photos. I was the member looking for a cutaway photo. It should really help.
I'm still trying to figure out where the coolant resides in the AOS. It appears that it is only on one side of the diaphragm. I can't really see how that helps the AOS function... If the rubber membrane fails, then there is the potential for an intermix issue.

Best,
TomF
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
DB's997
Racer

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
I hear you! Thanks for the quick reply!

My 00 C2 was # ... 0220 off the prod. line in 99 (car bought by 1st owner in Nov 99) acc. to VIN. Do you think my IMS would be a double row bearing that early during production prior to Porsche shifting to single row bearing? Any way one can tell without dropping the tranny using VINs^
Bought the car 6 months ago. Now has 141k km (87.6k mi)!

Merci encore!
Martin
I recently had the LN IMS retrofit done on my 2000 C2. It had a dual row bearing made in Japan. Chances are good you have the same?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Logray,

Thanks for the photos. I was the member looking for a cutaway photo. It should really help.
I'm still trying to figure out where the coolant resides in the AOS. It appears that it is only on one side of the diaphragm. I can't really see how that helps the AOS function... If the rubber membrane fails, then there is the potential for an intermix issue.

Best,
TomF
I'm going to cut my old one apart and figure out how it all works but my guess right now, is that the coolant is only circulating in the diaphram housing to keep it from freezing up.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes AFAIK the coolant is to keep the AOS from freezing. There is not much chance for intermix from the AOS because it is vacuum/gravity operated and lack of pressure, unlike the oil cooler which is driven by the oil pump. With the AOS, you might get some residual/light intermix goop (around connectors from condensation or leaks), but likely not full blown intermix like you would see with cracked heads or oil coolers. The common symptom from AOS failure are tons of white smoke from the tailpipes and difficulty removing oil filler cap. A failed AOS and UOA could show coolant in oil, but not oil in the coolant due to pressure differential.

Last edited by logray; 10-17-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: accuracy

Quick Reply: Another 996 down