Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts
Default baby seat

anyone use baby seat in boxster?
do i have to use porsche baby seat to disable airbag?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:07 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an airbag deactivation unit that they install under the seat, has a female buckle on it.

The porsche baby seat has the male buckle piece, and when you clip it in it deactivates the airbag. However, the buckle is pretty much a standard VW/Porsche type buckle, avail in the parts department. Once the airbag has been deactivated, you can use any seat you want. Also, the porsche seat is made by a company called Britax. Same exact seat without the porsche logo and buckle....
Old 05-13-2004, 01:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

thanks, 01 C4 Cab NYC

but have you used it yourself? is it easy to get baby in and out?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I used the Porsche baby seat in my Boxster. Very easy to get the kid in and out, just like any other seat (I now have it in the back of my Targa).

The deactivation bar (shown in post above) must be installed by the dealer and the car's computer must be reprogrammed for it to work. When a male buckle is plugged into it, it tells the car to turn off the passenger side airbag. You don't need the relatively expensive Porsche seat to do this as long as you have a male buckle that fits, but you must have the Porsche deactivation bar properly installed. I don't think its easy to find the deactivation bar to purchase alone but I think you can get it from Carnewal (www.carnewal.com), and maybe you could find it on ebay.

You should search the forum, there are several fairly recent threads that have a lot of information.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:52 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Mooty,
I have not done it myself, but I hear its pretty easy...
Old 05-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Shrews
Instructor

I just (today) had the deactivation kit install in my 02 c4s. If you can find a used seat it will be your best bet as Porsche has just started selling a "new" style of seat which doubled the price. They wanted $650 for a seat to hold a 20-40lb child rear facing with the deactivation kit. I was able to find the previous generation (britax roundabout w/ deactivation) new for around $300. The install is easy but you still have to have a Porsche tech program the car to deactivate the airbag.

Good luck,
James
Old 05-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Default I love it

The seat is great, and my daughter loves it. She's 8 months and has a blast up there where she can see me. My only problem is keeping my eye on the road when she's up there.

It's easy to get her in and out.

These pics are when she was only 3 months and she fills it up much more now and can really look around.

Old 05-31-2004, 03:24 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she is gorgeous but I hope she doesn't hurl like our 5 month old.

she can let go a full meal any old time. That's why she only rides in the Yukon XL and not the cayenne or boxster S.

I also like me kid up above the "impact zone"

dr
Old 05-31-2004, 11:55 PM
996Gurl
Intermediate

I had the same set-up as Scott did, when I had the Boxster. It was great! Easy to put the seat in or take out, and it was great to have our cutie next to mewhile driving. As mentioned above, as long as you have the deactivation kit & a male buckle to fit, any seat should work.
With the C4S, we moved up to the next child seat, which is in the rear seat, facing forward position. Now she can yell "mommy, go faster", as I tried to explain to the nice policeman... Then she actually said to him (as he peeked in at her thru my window) "mommy was going too fast"! He laughed so hard! Got a warning -- cool guy!

Quick Reply: baby seat