Mike J's 11th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ! - August 20th, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Mike J's 11th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ! - August 20th, 2016

This year marks the eleventh annual BBQ - wow!

The Mike J's 11th annual shop day this year on Saturday, August 20, 2016.

We are going back to open shop format, but I would like to limit it to lighter work and, if you get work done, it would be great to donate a bit of cash to our charity event.

Last years event: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...th-2015-a.html

Like the last few years, we will be raising money for a charity. Last year we raised $750 and my company matched that with another $750 which means we contributed $1500 to the Tibet Earthquake relief fund. That was FANTASTIC! This year I hope to continue that tradition!

Schedule:
9:00 - The shop is open for mechanical work, I will be down there setting up. A few guys will be coming up the day before, so it's actually a TWO DAY event - haha.

11:30 on - The BBQ will be fired up for lunch depending on the appetites etc (maybe earlier!!)

5:00 - wrap-up

Directions:
Click here for a map to 5691 Bessborough Drive Burnaby, British Columbia

Hopefully the weather will be great! Even if it's raining the shop is large enough to have at least two-three cars undercover.

It would be great if those coming would either post or PM me so I have an idea on how much supplies/food we will be needing...

This is a Porsche event, not a 993 only event, and all the models are welcome.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Sign me up! I think I can make it this year.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I might be away again that week end
Well, if not this, you gotta make the Christmas meet - will make sure you are on the list ...
Old 06-24-2016, 03:15 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

just edited my post!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Excellent!! Bring the scales and maybe we can do a corner balancing workshop ... :-) (just kidding - sortof) ..
Old 06-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, I will be visiting family on the Island during your BBQ. I think it would be a great time to spend a couple of days on the Mainland with a stop at your place. Would be great to visit with you and Ryojo for some bench racing.

Just saw the picture of the new Island track in Panorama. Now the Mainland guys have to endure taking the ferry to have some track fun. Payback for all those years waiting in line to head to Westwood and back to the rock.
Rick
Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My impressions of that new track was its VERY tight, almost go-cart like. No long straights or places where a TT can be opened up. My understanding is it's the first stage, the second development will expand the footprint.

We have other tracks within driving distance (like the ridge), but this is cool being a ferry ride away. Unfortunately, the ferry staff seem to really like damaging low cars, and inevitably you will get scraped exiting or entering a BC Ferry.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-28-2016, 11:44 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Good to hear first hand about it. It appears to be more of a sports car track vs race track. Hopefully phase 2 will bring it closer to race track. Hoping to get over and see it first hand later this year.

Let me know if we can supply some "gifts" for your event.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Rick - would be good to meet!

The Island track looks good, especially when they finish stage 2, but the business model I'm not sure makes that much sense. You have to pay $$$$$ for 'membership'. It's in line with a golf club membership in price but it's a little far away to go to use the club house facilities, even if you probably live in Victoria. I could see it work in a bigger US centre where the weather is good all year round - Victoria isn't bad but it's not Sonoma California. It's hard to justify the membership fees unless you live 1hour away and you can use it all year. I also think the demographic of most car guys is probably different from those that spend on golf club or private athletic club memberships. The membership fees are probably significantly more than many cars I see on the track! (But maybe it's just me, I don't belong to a golf club or a private athletic/tennis club etc). (sorry for the OT Mike!).

Jeff thanx again for the help with the Fikse wheels!

Quick Reply: Mike J's 11th Annual pcarworkshop BBQ! - August 20th, 2016