Sponsored by:

diy exhaust project

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
I'll jump in on that if you guys do meet up. Would like to hear the comparison too.
Baron would be good to meet up with you and Mike next weekend, hopefully weather will cooperate but sounds like it's going to be quite wet.

Ryojo
Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

We sold our cottage in Ucluelet and will be going out there on Halloween for one last stay - so that weekend is out. Perhaps early November..
Old 10-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Made some twin 3" exhaust tips, not quite happy with them/too wide so going to cut/make the tips closer together to fit better in the bumper opening.
Bought some aluminum sheet to make the hot air ducts, hopefully get some chance to work on them this weekend in between family/halloween/work stuff.
Weight loss 36lbs, but probably need to add a few pounds for the hot air ducts. Plan to redo the corner weight/check ride height afterwards.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

reworked tips,
remembering how much more difficult it is to weld thin aluminum..
Attached Images    
Old 11-01-2015, 01:42 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Try this ... weld on these tips ... no affiliation. http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-2-PORSCH...JbdprQ&vxp=mtr

Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Ted those look cool! problem with a lot of the 'twin' tips are that one of the 'tips' usually isn't functional, those look like there's a side hole to connect the smaller 'tip' but not sure how well that would flow. Also my entire system is 3", wouldn't make sense to step down to 2.5" at the tips.
Will take some pics with the car on the ground the next time the sun comes out, which may be a few days here in the wet north west.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Try this ... weld on these tips ... no affiliation. http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-2-PORSCH...JbdprQ&vxp=mtr

I've always thought faux twin exits those looked bloody awful, made the 996s which wore them even uglier and chavvier than than they already were

I like the twins you fabbed up they are in keeping with the factory S offering.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt

I like the twins you fabbed up they are in keeping with the factory S offering.
Thanx Tb, except they are 3"! (Had to look up 'chav'!)

Took the car out for a spin last night, it is quite loud, sounds more f car like and feels faster!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

well I hope this isn't a disappointment, I did try to make a couple of versions of the heating ducts but could not make them work, not enough space even to use the orange flexible tubing. In the end, I used some semi rigid aluminum air duct, doesn't look good but functional, weighs nothing. They might fly off but are easy to replace
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You could also try what I did - use 2.5" SS tubing and ovalize the tubing in a vice - then start routing. Lots of angle cutting and fitting work though. Its is tight though, and i think your positioning is a bit different than mine - the spacing looks tighter. next weekend for a sound comparision?
Originally Posted by Basal Skull
well I hope this isn't a disappointment, I did try to make a couple of versions of the heating ducts but could not make them work, not enough space even to use the orange flexible tubing. In the end, I used some semi rigid aluminum air duct, doesn't look good but functional, weighs nothing. They might fly off but are easy to replace
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
next weekend for a sound comparision?
Sure. Even this eve if the weathers' not too bad. I think both you and Knight have my email that goes to my phone to coordinate if possible.
My wife says it's too loud. I had a car alarm go off in the car parked next to me in an underground parkade. Considering making removable tip inserts to see if I can tone it done by a few DB.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think it would be loud given you have essentially straight pipes after the turbos - with a bit of sound adjustment but no muffling. I tried that and it was too loud for me, especially coming home late, so I ended up with modified mufflers. Even with my current setup I get a few comments. :-)

Ok, will get an email trail going - nothing booked into the shop on Saturday morning (yet) so that might be a candidate. Will need to bring the camera/microphone so record the three cars side by side.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-08-2015, 01:18 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Too loud????? If it's removing dental fillings from a drone maybe, otherwise no. My system is empty also, and it's very "pronounced" :-) It's how these cars are meant to sound, not the neutered banker/dentist commuter car that some are. Can't wait to hear them.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Sat morning would work for me
Thinking about it more, I think I'm just going to start off by capping off one, two or even three of the tips to see how it affects the sound!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

So don't laugh...
made a couple of caps so I could cap off one of the twin tips.
and removable steel wool packing that I could use behind the cap.
There are 3 options and 2 conditions for each option where I can check the sound ie.

1) no caps, at idle and off idle (say 2-3K rpm)
2) caps (no packing), at idle and off idle
3) caps/packing, at idle and off idle.

Which condition do you think would be quietest i) idle and ii) of idle?
There is 4-5 db difference between quietest and loudest at idle which was a surprise to me.
(I was capping off the outer most tips but I guess I could try capping off the more medial ones instead which could also affect the sound
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: diy exhaust project