New guy in the market

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 PM
imthatguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in the market

Rennlisters,
I just joined this forum today but have been reading it for years. I have searched this forum as well as 6speed and read many threads as you all have provided a lot of information. My thread has been discussed and not sure if I should have posted it hear or in the 993 n/a forum because I am sure some will be biased towards the TT.
With that said, I am in the market for a new daily driver/only car. I have looked at a few TT's, a C2S and a couple C4S's. All are beautiful. My income is not what one would call disposable but I am capable of turning wrenches and doing as much of my own maintenance as I can.
I want the TT, but I want something that will be reliable and not crazy expensive for maintenance as I would love to hit 245k or more as I have read both the 993tt and the 996tt have done from some of our fellow Rennlisters. My budget allows me to pay cash as I have it available.
Is there anyone else that has a TT as a DD but does not have disposable income? You guys offer a load of info but I am looking for a little guidance. I have driven all 3 but not too hard as they were not mine. If it is n/a then I want an S because of the shell of the TT.

As far as my use, I am single, no kids and I love to drive. No snow here in Florida. I like trips to Deals Gap, family in GA, NC, CO, OH, MI and all over FL. Track/AutoX, maybe 1-2 times a year but thats a maybe. Mainly my driving pleasure, spirited and road trips and those no destination, I just need to drive drives.
Thanks for being patient with me guys and for any and all guidance.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM
edrewitz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are solid cars. Budget 3 - 5k a year for maintenance and you'll be fine. Biggest issue is probably rear tire wear and some cars may need a top end rebuild for premature valve guide wear.

I've daily driven mine for over 7 years, 10k miles a year and the above formula has worked for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The TT's are solid cars but they are more complicated, and you have a lot more cash tied up. The NA's are a bit cheaper to run for sure, but it all depends on how much you want that HP. That extra $20K you can hold back can really help if you are worried about the total cost.

Also, remember operating costs as well. The Turbo sucks more fuel than the NA cars, and if you are doing a lot of miles, that can really add up.

If you like to wrench, the 993 series is more user friendly, the 996's are more of a closed system and does not have the support of 30 years of engine rebuilding for fundamentally the same engine.

Sounds like a lot of highway miles, which is good for these cars. Getting to those higher mileages is certainly easy on both cars, but I would suggest the Turbo will add more costs - fuel, extra components (turbos), more failure points, heavier car, etc. Not sure about your insurance, it might be more for the Turbo (funnily enough, mine was cheaper!).

So what does your GUT say? You drove all three, which one is for you??

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 AM
imthatguy
4th Gear

Eric, Mike,
This is the kind of input/guidance I am seeking. Thanks guys. My insurance doesn't change for me per my agent, which is great.

Mike, when you say "more failure points", what do you mean in comparison to the n/a 993?

Thanks for the help. Trying to get as much info as I can and Rennlist does provide that. Just wanted some specifics.

As far as my gut goes, the TT is it. Don't get me wrong, the C2S and C4S were awesome. I just got rid of my E36 M3 that was slightly modded and both n/a versions were so much better. Also, I got rid of my Navigator and I think most vehicles will be better on gas than her.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

'By failure points I mean things like these, all unique to the Turbo:

- turbo's - they seem to need rebuilding at the 50-60K miles time
- high pressure tubes to the turbos tend to shred the ends due to repeated removal/installation
- regular failures of the clutch slave cylinder - $650+ in parts every time
- possible twisting of the transmissions shafts, especially in 1996 series cars
- extra sensitivity to oil siphoning into the turbos, causing smoking and possible turbo seal wear and failure (solved with proper oil filters, check valves and aftermarket oil scavenge lines)

All I meant is the Turbos are more complicated, and have more components, and thus have more places to fail. Fantastic cars though!

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone wants a 993!

Imthatguy, a few bits of advice:

1) If you can DIY, that will be a HUGE advantage for a 993 owner

2) If you do purchase a 993 you should factor in at least 10% of the purchase price in a cash reserve fund to sort out the car (not mods) after your purchase. Even the most skilled PPI won't catch everything. And you don't want to suffer buyer's remose and be Porsche rich and cash poor.

Enjoy the process.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

These things are expensive, period.

Be it repairs, mods, etc, they are not cheap, and you may begin to resent the car if it requires you to tie up large amounts of your income.

Then again I don't know your financial situation, so this may all be moot.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:32 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
...f you do purchase a 993 you should factor in at least 10% of the purchase price in a cash reserve fund to sort out the car (not mods) after your purchase. Even the most skilled PPI won't catch everything. And you don't want to suffer buyer's remose and be Porsche rich and cash poor....
This is something I have consistently recommended to prospective owners, not just for TTs but for NAs as well. These cars are now approaching 20 years old and even low mileage ones have age related replacement issues. Suspension bushings, joints, motormounts, A/C system...there are a host of areas where parts have worn out because of age and not use. And unfortunately factory Porsche parts, esp for air cooled ones, are fairly pricey compared to those for water-cooled cars given the production amounts. Luckily there are aftermarket alternatives for some parts which are not only cheaper but arguably superior in performance
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
imthatguy
4th Gear

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Everyone wants a 993!

Imthatguy, a few bits of advice:

1) If you can DIY, that will be a HUGE advantage for a 993 owner

2) If you do purchase a 993 you should factor in at least 10% of the purchase price in a cash reserve fund to sort out the car (not mods) after your purchase. Even the most skilled PPI won't catch everything. And you don't want to suffer buyer's remose and be Porsche rich and cash poor.

Enjoy the process.
All this info is so much appreciated guys!
DIY is the route I try to take with my vehicles so I can know and learn them so much better. My brother has a good size garage with a lift and too many tools, so turning wrenches is something I enjoy on my own cars.

But your response "And you don't want to suffer buyer's remose and be Porsche rich and cash poor" is spot on.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM
imthatguy
4th Gear

I also drove a 996 GT2 and 996TT. Both of those were amazing and powerful but as all of you know, its not a 993TT and the 993TT just made me feel alive and in a different world. The 996 and 997 are everywhere. Not that I am getting it for anyone but me. I want to enjoy it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I think since your coming from an M3 you should be fine, your at least use to certain level of maintenance costs. Might not be 100% comparable but I know M3 $ can add up too, esp if your dealing with anything such as the rear subframe issues etc.

If you were transitioning say from a Japanese car, let's say S2000 then of course maintenance $ would increase dramatically.

NA or Turbo you can't go wrong, great cars special in their own ways!

Quick Reply: New guy in the market